• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Newt voted to raise the debt ceiling at least 4 times

Newt has been kicking the can down the road since the days when the debt was manageable. He should have taken a principled stand back then. Of course, he'd have to have principles first.

He voted to raise the debt ceiling four times (one, two, three, and four) that I know of.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Newt wants stronger Patriot Act; skip Due Process for terror suspects

11/22/2011 - He supports the Patriot Act and would like to see it strengthened.
    11/22/2011 - He says that matters of National Security should not be encumbered by giving Due Process to the accused.

When asked if he would change or repeal the Patriot Act: "No, I would not change it. I'm not aware of any specific change it needs. And I'd look at strengthening it, because I think the dangers are literally that great." -- Newt Gingrich, 11/22/2011, CNN Debate (source)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Where's he from, then?
    Found the following
    Newt Gingrich was born on June 17, 1943, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. His mother Kathleen Daugherty and father Newton Searles McPherson divorced soon after Newt was born. Kathleen remarried to an Army officer named Robert Gingrich, who adopted the boy. Gingrich has three younger half-sisters, Candace, Susan, and Roberta.

Growing up, Gingrich's family moved around frequently, like many military families. He graduated from Baker High School in Columbus, Georgia, and received a B.A. from Emory University in 1965.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Gingrich wants new 'very aggressive' terror agency with extraordinary abilities

Newt wants yet another new Federal terror agency that will be "very aggressive" and have "extraordinary abilities" that are not restricted by the constitution.
    Gingrich: Gov. Should Allow Some Terror Attacks To Remind Us

"This is, by the way, one of the great tragedies of the Bush Administration. The more successful they've been at intercepting and stopping bad guys, the less proof there is that we're in danger. And therefore the better they've done at making sure there isn't an attack, the easier it is to say that there was never going to be an attack anyways. And its almost like they should, every once in a while, have allowed an attack to get through, just to remind us. Think about the psychology. Why do we wrap up so many people? Well, because we wiretapped. And again, I'm going to be a little controversial. I would divide the FBI into two agencies. I would have an anti-domestic-crime FBI which was very cautious, very respectful of civil liberties. You are innocent until proven guilty. And I would have a small but VERY aggressive anti-terrorism agency. And I would frankly give them EXTRAORDINARY ability to eavesdrop. And my first advice to civil libertarians is simple: Don't plot with terrorists."

-- Newt Gingrich, 4/29/2008 (source)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lLLxbbOf0[/ame]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Newt wants yet another new Federal terror agency that will be "very aggressive" and have "extraordinary abilities" that are not restricted by the constitution.
    Gingrich: Gov. Should Allow Some Terror Attacks To Remind Us

"This is, by the way, one of the great tragedies of the Bush Administration. The more successful they've been at intercepting and stopping bad guys, the less proof there is that we're in danger. And therefore the better they've done at making sure there isn't an attack, the easier it is to say that there was never going to be an attack anyways. And its almost like they should, every once in a while, have allowed an attack to get through, just to remind us. Think about the psychology. Why do we wrap up so many people? Well, because we wiretapped. And again, I'm going to be a little controversial. I would divide the FBI into two agencies. I would have an anti-domestic-crime FBI which was very cautious, very respectful of civil liberties. You are innocent until proven guilty. And I would have a small but VERY aggressive anti-terrorism agency. And I would frankly give them EXTRAORDINARY ability to eavesdrop. And my first advice to civil libertarians is simple: Don't plot with terrorists."

-- Newt Gingrich, 4/29/2008 (source)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lLLxbbOf0

He's not wrong though. The success has moved the risk to the back burner for most people. And he wasn't saying he actually thought it would be a good idea to let attacks happen.

It's no different than when I say the lady in the grocery store should have her purse stolen from the child seat of the cart to teach her a lesson about her negligence when she walks 20 feet away from it with her back turned. I don't really want some thief to get and turn her life upside down, but she clearly needs a "come to Jesus" moment where she understands that risk is real even if she doesn't feel the consequences for a while.

Why is it that you feel only you are entitled to exaggerate and hyperbolize in order to make a point?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Why is it that you feel only you are entitled to exaggerate and hyperbolize in order to make a point?

I quoted him verbatim. He wants us to feel the fear and let him expand the security theatre inside the United States. The Department of Homeland Security (which he helped design by his own admission) isn't enough for him. He wants more. We need yet another bureaucracy of Federal agents that have a carte blanche to spy on Americans.

If you think he's right then, well, whatever.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Bill Clinton praises Gingrich

Gingrich's arch-nemesis came out of hibernation to praise him and his policies. They've always been secret BFF's working toward a common goal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CJr2NjIzE[/ame]

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Didn't bother to watch the tape, but if Bubba is supporting Newt, it is a superb tactic on his part to alienate conservatives against Newt. As much as I loathe Clinton, he is quite the politician. Look at how many people he fooled.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Didn't bother to watch the tape, but if Bubba is supporting Newt, it is a superb tactic on his part to alienate conservatives against Newt. As much as I loathe Clinton, he is quite the politician. Look at how many people he [STRIKE]fooled[/STRIKE] screwed.
    FIFY :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Newt: Topple Cuba by 2014

source
    Q: Since we are in Florida, can you provide an idea of how your administration would handle relations with Cuba?

GINGRICH: I think we need a very aggressive model. I describe it as a Cuban Spring. If you have a U.S. government that says Assad should go, why aren't they aggressively saying Castro should go?

We are trying to develop a strategy right now to outline the things we would do in the next two years to try to get the Cuban people to freedom by 2014.

Top Bottom