• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm getting the itch to go on a big hunting trip again. My father in law has always wanted a moose, I wouldn't mind a black bear or carribou and we're looking at Newfoundland. Alaska is just too expensive, and there's long waiting lists to even get a remote fly in. We've looked into it, and as much as I love Alaska, I'll just take pictures while there. Canada would be great, and I stumbled across a couple of options in Ontario that'd be an easys trip logistically, but it seems like it's getting more and more difficult with vehicle border crossings, and guns in Ontario. Newfoundland has always sounded like a great adventure and sounds like the animals are relatively plentiful, so that's what we're looking into now. Has anyone been there and done that, who'd like to share some personal accounts of what it's like?

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Newfoundland is a good option, but understand a few things:
    You are hunting moose but the Newfoundland moose is a smaller species. Don't go thinking you are going to kill a 65" Yukon moose. Think more about 48" or less.
    The caribou species in Newfoundland are woodland caribou. You are probably looking at $8-10K as a starting figure for caribou. The heyday of caribou hunting, cheap like the Quebec/Labrador hunt days back in the 90's and early 2000's are long gone.
    Bear hunts there are typically "stumble on", meaning if you see one you shoot it but it is incidental to moose or caribou.

Dirty Steve
    Caribou.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I remember reading about those hunts back in the day and how plentiful the game was and how affordable it was for everything involved. Unfortunately I missed the boat on those hunts.

Hows the terrain out there? Everything I've seen looks rugged and tough and fine for a guy who's in some kind of decent shape. My father in law has had several knee surgeries and has the wear and tear of some well earned miles. Is there much chance of a "light duty" kind of hunt on that island?

Top Bottom