• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizz01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2022
    Hartsville
    I had read the rights of Indiana gun owners and I have a question. Concerning schools... Is it okay to have a firearm in your car as you pick up a student, go to a ball game on school grounds or even drive by a school if the road is within the illegal limit? I'm coming from Ohio and the law there is as long as the firearm stays in the vehicle. Thank you for you time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Drop off and pick, you and gun stay in car, all good. If you must exit car or enter the building, you must do so without gun and the gun must be locked inside your vehicle. The law was changed a few years back (for the better). This would apply to any school property or function, sports, plays, etc. I view the law as a crock of ****. But I obey it.

Grizz01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2022
    Hartsville
    Drop off and pick, you and gun stay in car, all good. If you must exit car or enter the building, you must do so without gun and the gun must be locked inside your vehicle. The law was changed a few years back (for the better). This would apply to any school property or function, sports, plays, etc. I view the law as a crock of ****. But I obey it.
    Thank you! What I read wasn't clear on that... I appreciate you taking time to give me the info.

Tommygii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2022
    Carmel
    In addition to being in a locked car I think the gun must be out of plain sight.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Even if that were not the case common sense would say not to leave it in plain sight like on the dashboard or the seat etc....

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I had read the rights of Indiana gun owners and I have a question. Concerning schools... Is it okay to have a firearm in your car as you pick up a student, go to a ball game on school grounds or even drive by a school if the road is within the illegal limit? I'm coming from Ohio and the law there is as long as the firearm stays in the vehicle. Thank you for you time.
    Hello and :welcome: To. :ingo:

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    This is my understanding also, and I also agree, common sense is not very common anymore

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    This thread got me to wondering. If someone is legally carrying under constitutional carry and doesn't have an LTCH. Then does that individual fall under the Federal restriction about carrying on or within 1,000 of a school property ? ?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This thread got me to wondering. If someone is legally carrying under constitutional carry and doesn't have an LTCH. Then does that individual fall under the Federal restriction about carrying on or within 1,000 of a school property ? ?
    These are the kind of questions that need public clarification.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Great thought. Years back ISP ran around writing tickets for failure to have a DOT number. They did this ~3 months before the law was to change and eliminate the need for the number. Let me state that again... Indiana state police wrote tickets for an infraction that ceased to be an infraction three months in the future. As part of the ticket, no DOT #, number requires x y z, you don't have x y z, so you're ticketed for xyz as well. Effectively one rec'd a ticket for things not required to have based upon somthing they didn't have - rght before the law changed. You pose a logical question. The answer is the coppers will break it off in your ***. Because, you know, it's all about safety.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    Welcome to the Hoosier state! I use the app Legal Heat. They constantly update the latest laws and concealed carry reciprocity info, etc. Paid a buck or two for it a few years ago but has been worth it for me. Cites the actual state laws, statutes, etc.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Theoretically, federal restriction requires a license. Section iii below requires that an individual is qualified to receive a license. There is no such verification process with constitutional carry. Would the ever be a real problem, I do not know.

I am a little off the question here. I think that it is still wise to get a license. Some states that recognize other states' licenses, do not recognize constitutional carry of that other state. Some states only recognize constitutional carry for its own residents.

(B)Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm
    (i)
    on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii)
    if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii)that is—
    (I)
    not loaded; and
    (II)
    in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv)
    by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v)
    by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi)
    by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii)
    that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Top Bottom