New rimfire caliber coming soon from Winchester!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Just saw a teaser trailer for a new rimfire caliber coming from winchester later this month. Anyone got any Ideas to what it could be?? Im guessing 5mm or .20 caliber redo maybe its something bigger? They video showed coyotes getting walloped so who knows. Of course any of the current rimfires will do this so who knows. It did say it would be the fastest rimfire ever so speculate away:ar15:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've seen a lot of old Swiss rifles poping up lately. I hope it's a .41 rimfire. Those old rifles are very cool! Bolt action, 12 round tube feed weapon. Probably won't happen though. :(

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Not likely. If you do have a swiss vertli rifle you can have it converted to centerfire and make your own ammo look up Iraqveteran8888 on youtube he has a video discussing it.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Well I can say now that this is a dumb idea. Why buy this when you can get a .17 hornet from hornady and you can reload them. This seems destined to fail.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    <.5 moa? How is that even possible with such a small projectile on a windy day? I thought the projectile weight was a huge liability, but it seems to be an advantage. Why didn't they go center fire if they were serious though?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well I can say now that this is a dumb idea. Why buy this when you can get a .17 hornet from hornady and you can reload them. This seems destined to fail.

Now there's a man with some critical thinking skills! :rockwoot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    <.5 moa? How is that even possible with such a small projectile on a windy day? I thought the projectile weight was a huge liability, but it seems to be an advantage. Why didn't they go center fire if they were serious though?
    Bullet speed plus small longitudinal sectional area means the wind only has a very, very small chance to wreak havoc on the bullet. Heavy rifle plus very, very low recoiling round means the rifle is a lot more forgiving of inconsistant holds/stances/etc from shot to shot yielding tighter groups.

The faster the bullet gets to the target the less time the wind has to "push" on it.

The smaller the area of the bullet as viewed from the side the smaller area the wind can "push" on. Although the downfall of this is that there is inevitably less mass in such a small bullet and therefore the bullet will "move more" given the same "pushing" force of the wind on a heavier bullet.

Neglecting wind concerns, there are a multitude of factors that play into it but ultimately, the shooter still has to do his part and the ammo must be quality ammo being shot through a quality rifle. Come to think of it, I can't think of any caliber that isn't capable of this type of consistency given all of the above. The reason we don't see it often is because if either one of those things falls out of place it's game over. Poor ammo means bad consistency. Poor shooter means bad consistency. Poor choice of rifle means bad consistency.

Lets just take a couple looks at some of the more popular guns that aren't known for <.5 MOA accuracy.

AK-47 or SKS are big ones, but most of the problems can be attributed to poor choice of rifle and definitely poor ammo. Most ammo coming out of Russia etc is low-quality blasting ammo and nothing more. People don't buy rifles in 7.62X39 for consistency for that reason; its hard to get good ammo because the market is undermined with cheap blasting ammo.

Almost all surplus military rifles are in the same boat. They often aren't built for <.5 MOA. Take most any of these multitude of calibers and built a top quality rifle for that caliber and load some top quality ammo and put a top quality shooter behind it and instant consistency. But we again hit the fact that people don't buy these guns/calibers for consistency just because of the fact that there are better options out there. They buy them becaus they are cheap or cheap to shoot, or in some occasions because they are important historic relics.

Sorry to get off topic...

Top Bottom