• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trusite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    The Break Room
    Hey, my dad has said he will buy me a new pistol for graduation in a year and ive already began to scope out which one is the best for me. Im really looking for a pistol that will last me awhile(at least), doesnt have horrible recoil, and will be easy to carry along with decent price. sounds like a lot to ask for im sure! but ive been looking at the glocks, preferably the G23 along with the SigSauer P250 two-tone (i love 2-tone, looks awesome). My dad seems to think that the glock will be my better choice, but id like to hear your guys' opinion on the matter. :do2:oh and the .40 is my preferred round. :thumbsup: and even if your choice of weapon isnt one of the two, go ahead, im open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    You gotta go with the Glock, best all around defense/carry pistol. You'll hear a lot of silly stuff from Sig lovers, and really silly stuff from HK lovers. All about how you need to spend 2-3x the money for one of their pistols and how after spending all that extra money you will have a better pistol.
    No matter how tempted don't give in to the dark side. Do the research and you will find, for safety, reliability, accuracy, affordability, and ease of learning. You just can't beat a Glock.
    The link below will take you to a well written article supporting the quality of the Glock pistol. Good Luck and Have fun no matter what you decide.

GLOCK Lovers page

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm an HK Guy. And honestly, I'd suggest buying a Glock.

Pami has a Sig P250 and it's an awful nice gun. That said, I still think you should buy a Glock.

I'd trade the .40 for a 9mm, but that's because I'm cheap. 9mm ammo is less expensive and easier to find. ;)

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I'm an HK Guy. And honestly, I'd suggest buying a Glock.

Pami has a Sig P250 and it's an awful nice gun. That said, I still think you should buy a Glock.

I'd trade the .40 for a 9mm, but that's because I'm cheap. 9mm ammo is less expensive and easier to find. ;)

Wow, you get major props from me!:cheers:
    That is an open minded man!!

I would suggest the same thing regarding 9mm. But only because it's easier to learn on.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have a SIG P226 and i love it! Its is over 20 years old so it last a while. Easy to shoot, just a big gun to conceal if your a small guy.

I am looking at getting a SIG P239. It is a little smaller for me to conceal since im 5'10" and 140lbs.

I havent shot a P250 but ive heard its a great gun. You cant go wrong with a SIG.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    thanks for the comments guys, im looking more into .9mm now. G19 may be my choice now. i love the look of the grips on those glocks

I can't cite any proof, but it's my understanding the G19 is the Most popular carry pistol in the world. That exact quote has been given to me on more than on occasion from more than one individual.

It's simple, safe, and reliable. Parts and accessories (Magazines, holsters) are plentiful and easy to find. The size isn't too big to carry easily, or to small to shoot well. It really is a good firearm.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the g17/19 have proven themselves to be the most reliable. the g19 might be the better all around choice. either one. point and click.
    unlike some, i don't think the 1911 is a good choice for a first pistol. i've several, in different sizes and capacities and have shot and carried one since uncle sugar loaned me one a long time ago, but it isn't a beginners pistol. imho.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I have had my Glock 22 for going on three years now (always carried revolver). I did a lot of research prior to buying and based my decision on reliability and simple operation. I really love the trigger pull as well as the ease of cleaning. (Yes I DO clean mine)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I still prefer my Sigs over any Glock, but if the Glock works for you, definitely go with that. There's been a lot of love on this forum over the G19s, and honestly, every time I've considered a Glock, it's come down to the 19 or the 26 (I have small hands so I lean toward the 26 usually), but in the end I've always end up liking the Sigs better. *shrug*

Glocks are good first guns (in my noobish opinion) because they're relatively inexpensive (although the P250 two-tone only runs about $649) and darn hard to hurt (Sigs are pretty difficult to hurt, too). Accessories are relatively inexpensive and extremely easy to find (the Sig P250 is so new, I'm having trouble finding an inexpensive-tide-me-over-until-I-get-a-better-one holster that will actually fit it, and custom made ones run $90-$165 [for the ones I like anyway], and good luck finding spare magazines in any store. Oh, and one other thing -- the P250 only comes with one magazine NIB, where most other firearms come with at least two.).

As far as controls (or lack thereof) on the gun, the P250 has as many (or as few, depending on your POV) as the Glocks I've compared it to, so just as easy to learn on. The P250 has Sig's newish DAK trigger on it -- which is an incredibly sweet, smooth, and easy 6 lb pull double-action-only. The trigger reset is almost out to the full length of the first pull, though. It's been a few days since I fired a Glock, but I seem to recall the trigger reset being a LOT shorter than the initial pull.

All that said, I vote for the G19.

And I also vote for 9mm. :)

And one other thing -- if you want to actually shoot a P250 before you make a final decision, and you're in the Indy area, let me know, Lars and I will be happy to meet you at a range somewhere. We don't own any Glocks, though, so you'll have to get that experience from someone else. :)

trusite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    The Break Room
    wish i did live closer to the Indy area :) that would be a good experience for me, and thanks a lot for the offer! I think glock 19 will be the prime choice as my first carrying pistol. I'm a pretty skinny guy so something big and bulky wouldn't fit me well and would be awkward on me. 9mm will be the best for me also. glad to hear someone with a lot of experience with SIG's! thx Pami

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I just purchased a XD9 over the weekend and shot about 150 rounds through it the other day and so far I have no complaints. It was only 459 new with the XD gear kit.

Ive shot pauls sig and for an older gun it shoots great. sigs are solid guns.

Now I already have a nice big list of parts and accessories I want to buy. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    As I am sure you have noticed, it wont be hard to find a G19 to try out. Make a friend at Wildcat and show up with a few boxes of factory ammo. You'll be hard pressed to find a shooter who wont let you try his pistol. If you don't know anybody at Wildcat, PM me.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    If you're still thinking about going with something in .40 you can always get the G23 and buy a G19 complete slide and 9mm magazine. That way you can carry and do some practice with .40, but plink around and get a good feel for the gun while shooting cheaper 9mm. Hell you can even leave the G19 slide on it and carry it in 9mm.

Either way decide which platform (Glock, HK, Sig, etc) fits your hand the best then worry about caliber.

Top Bottom