• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I love my neighbors, one cooks me Chinese food anytime I need it, another has fountain drinks and snacks 24-7 and across the street they sell me drugs!

Its nice nice living next to a Chinese take out, gas station and across from a CVS!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have one neighbor that I only ever see when she comes tearing down the road. I introduced myself and asked her to please slow down, and she avoids me now. Nicer than what I wanted to tell her.

New neighbor made quite the first impression. He's got 3 of those god awful pugs or whatever who walk around with their *******s displayed to the world, and he doesn't leash them off course. I was working on something in the garage and saw all three of the little bastards come and **** on my lawn. Had my hands full and decided not to deal with it at that time.

Next day, I saw the same thing happening and decided to make things interesting. Walked outside as his dogs were doing their business on my lawn again and screamed "clean your dog's **** up." He looked pretty mortified. Could have been because I was only wearing underwear.

He walks the other way now.

We used to get this regularly from the around the corner dog lovers. They had 4 good sized dogs. They would walk them morning (early) and evening. At least 1 would take a dump in my yard every time they came by. I asked them politely to please either clean it up or refrain from letting them :poop: in my yard. The wife stepped in a fresh pile a day or so later. We started bagging it up until there was a good amount and walked down to their house and deposited it in the yard where the walked. We made no secret in doing this. They did not walk our way again.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well... I can't say "I don't understand". A few doors down there's an old guy who comes over when we're doing anything outside in the front yard to offer "advice". He tells us we're mowing wrong, watering the newer trees wrong, planting the wrong flowers,...whatever it is we're doing. We indulge him. He's lonely. I hope someone treats me with a little bit of indulgence and kindness when I'm a few decades older (if I make it that long!)...
    I have heard the same stories from my elderly neighbor at least 3-4 times. Some of them have got to be in the double digits. Funny enough, every time is the first time I've heard it. ;)

New and unproven? Lol no offense but I don't have to prove anything to anybody and if they don't like it they can get over it and throw the note in the trash. Nothing is being forced I'm just doing what I would think appropriate and what my style is. Some people get grumpy about it it's not my problem. I'm just trying to be courteous and neighborly.
    Good grief. It means they don't know you from Jack; everything about you is an unknown and not everybody likes to be *that* neighborly until they know the person better. The irony is that what you consider courteous and neighborly is just as easily seen by the neighbor as suspicious or questionable.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Just hope you have good neighbors. Just 411.com your address then click see neighbors, it will pull up everyone on your street, then just look them up on Facebook and see if you want to say hi… O wait that sounded creepy*** never mind.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Good grief. It means they don't know you from Jack; everything about you is an unknown and not everybody likes to be *that* neighborly until they know the person better. The irony is that what you consider courteous and neighborly is just as easily seen by the neighbor as suspicious or questionable.

For the third time I'm just trying to open a line of communication and if people get upset by that I don't really care. If they consider it suspicious I'd be happy to lend them my tinfoil hat.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I bake cheesecakes and bring them to neighbors. Either they'll eat it and like it or they hate cheesecake and at least I've figured out not to hang out with them early on. In fact, I still owe an INGOer a cheesecake for a favor. I wonder how well it would hold up in the mail.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    All this talk of neighbors... I live in the "Old Money" part of Indy, just a few blocks from the Gubner, some of these people are so full of themselves they remind me of the fart sniffers on South Park. The sad thing is this used to be a working class neighborhood when I was a kid. Most of my neighbors mean well, they just don't know they are disconnected with reality.

With that said, I'm sure they are all DELIGHTED to have such a redneck for a neighbor... lol

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    We just moved into our new house last week. It worked out perfectly that the community wide yard sale was 3 days after we moved in. It was a great chance to meet at least half of our new neighbors. The others I've met while doing yard work (which I've been doing a LOT of considering the shape the previous owner left he yard in) or while walking the dogs around the block. HOA/neighborhood watch meetings are good opportunities too.

Just so you know, there is one neighbor who has come over and knocked on our front door twice to "welcome us to the neighborhood" and to ask if we had the cash to pay him (we had him mow the lawn after we bought the house but before we moved in). We call him the creepy neighbor.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I wouldn't hand out cards, too formal. Too much like work. Move in. Live your life.

When the opportunity arises to do something nice for your neighbors, do it. Most people really appreciate little things. Wind blew the garbage cans around? Pick them up and return them. Snow? Push the snowblower a few extra yards and clear their sidewalk for them, you will be surprised how often they return the favor. Hot day? Maybe offer a beer and chat about sports, maybe even guns. Does your wife make cookies? A few care packages for the immediate neighbors will likely be received about 1000 times better than some business card. Just be a good neighbor, things will take their course.
    Direct hit. Great approach. You can tell a lot about a neighborhood by driving through on a nice evening. Neighbors out drinking beers? Ghost town? Look for the signs.

kestersonj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I had a new neighbor wait until he noticed people out and went up to say hello. It wasn't too intrusive, but FTF was personable enough. Cookouts and business cards might be a bit much. Just my $0.02.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just have your friends over and have a party and leave empty beer bottles on your neighbor's vehicles. That's how I got to know that I don't want to know my newest neighbor.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm about to move into a new neighborhood and I'd like to start on the right foot with my new neighbors. I'm thinking about handing out something like a business card with my phone number and email and letting them know I'm new to the neighborhood feel free to keep in touch with me should something arise. My only question is should I go door to door or put something in the mailbox? I don't want to seem like a creep or get too personal if some people don't like that but I would definitely like to have an open line of communication. It seems like a fairly open neighborhood and I've already had smiles and waves just looking at the house so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Here's a template for your cards you hand out:
    4bae3fd5df748520.jpg

In our new neighborhood there's a directory with family member names and other info. It seems like a friendly place - maybe too friendly.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Here's a template for your cards you hand out:
    4bae3fd5df748520.jpg

In our new neighborhood there's a directory with family member names and other info. It seems like a friendly place - maybe too friendly.

Im glad you're familiar with the sex registry procedure. Is that your pic in the photo?

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I have a neighbor across the road who I haven't spoken to in 3 years. I've lived here about 3 1/2 years. I think I've actually seen him once or twice this year. I have no problem with him and as far as I know, he has no problem with me. If he needs something, he knows where I live. He stays over there, and I stay over here.

I like it that way.

Everytime we get a new neighbor they try and become best friends overnight and want to come hang out every time they see us in the back yard. No thanks. I see you, I acknowledge you and your kids tore up my swing set....stay the hell over there an just wave hello.

I completely agree. I'll say hello and be cool, but when I'm at home it's my time and I don't want to be bothered. I had my first kind of neighbor friends recently, and it was just unwanted drama overall that I wouldn't have had if I kept to myself.

Top Bottom