• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Likely the projectile will be _much_ smaller since it's supposed to cause damage by kinetic energy transfer instead of an explosive charge. Science fiction lovers will readily recognize the concepts of the railgun and the use of kinetic energy weapons in combat. The obstacles to practical railgun technology are portability, superconducting, room-temperature magnets, and power source. In a short-range weapon, significant velocities could mean laser-like ballistics - a flat trajectory out as far as you can see.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Likely the projectile will be _much_ smaller since it's supposed to cause damage by kinetic energy transfer instead of an explosive charge. Science fiction lovers will readily recognize the concepts of the railgun and the use of kinetic energy weapons in combat. The obstacles to practical railgun technology are portability, superconducting, room-temperature magnets, and power source. In a short-range weapon, significant velocities could mean laser-like ballistics - a flat trajectory out as far as you can see.

Obstacles exist but look at airplanes for example. I bet the wright brothers had no clue that 40 short years after the first flight we would be flying jet aircraft traveling faster than the speed of sound.

Money is probably the only obstacle, so it really sucks we don't have any at the moment.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Did you see the size of the power facility it took to charge the magnets....lol I also agree unless they start splitting atoms to make power for the think in other words using nuclear energy or something, I don't see it working. I can see the email request from the navy for the billion dollar funding required to research it further being deleted. :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    LOL...

You do realize that the Military has been developing these since the late '60's early '70's right?! Then again there is yet another reason for that HUGE R&D Budget every year...

PurdueJim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    I guess since I live only about 10 miles from the crane base I will only have a few seconds to take cover.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    personaly i think this is a means to an end. Once they learn to really well control the eltromagnectic forces being used to launch the round they can use it to launch anything that uses magnetic fields. Like for instance plazma. plazma is a real thing and uses very simalar tech to create and contain. Also it has the ability to pentrate anything known thus far.

Top Bottom