• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well, after learning about them here, and reading up on them a lot, I finally broke down and purchased an M44 last night. Gander Mtn had 4 in stock (down from about 8 a week ago), so I picked the best of the ones they had for $99, and headed out the door.

Today at the the gun show in Rockville, IN I picked up an AIM rubber butt stock end and a few rounds of ammo to try at the range until my order from AIM surplus gets here. Cant wait to take it out and run some rounds through it. :)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Excellent!

I am hoping to join the Mosin club in the next few days, but the drives to Bradis from Noblesville are killing me. Less the gas than the time investment!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Nothing special. Wood stock and in varying condition. I think the one I picked was really pretty good. The stock has very few issues/dings/etc. The bolt on all the rifles they had in stock were as good as I would think they could be. They had the M44 carbines, as well as the 91/30s. Ive got pictures to show, but my host is down right now for some reason. Ill post pics once its back up.

clay

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    The last time I looked the TH Gander MTN was selling the Mosin's for $150 but that was also in September. I was in there around 2 weeks ago but didn't stroll through the gun section. Just like imprimis5 said, welcome to the club! I own 2.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I took notice of them two weeks ago and they all have 'hot buy' tags on them for $99. I was going to buy one from AIM surplus, but they are $70 + shipping, then plus transfer which would be another $20. This way I get to pick the rifle myself, and get it for about the same money.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Pictures of my M44:

m44-1.jpg

m44-2.jpg

m44-3.jpg

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    DUDE IM JEALOUS!! I'm getting mine friday! Was gonna get it today, but didnt feel like driving BACK to gander from hammond.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Looks like a Mosinitis epidemic!

I will have at least 1 of the M91/30 I just got for sale soon.
    My problem is deciding which one(s) to keep, they are all so nice.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    besides the barrel length why would one pick a 38 or 44 or 91/30 over one of the others?

Probably just preference I guess. The 91/30 is a beast to wield, the M44 has an integral bayonet and the M38 is an M44 minus the bayo. There is a flood of Mosins, so while they're really not "collectibles" in a sense, there are varations between the models (dates, receiver types, stocks) that allow a guy looking to get a Mosin to pick himself a rifle that fully suits what he's looking for. They're inexpensive, pretty cool historically, and a blast to shoot. A lot of Mosin gunners mention shooting one around dusk to see the impressive fireball. It is cool. :yesway:

The thing about Mosins are that they tend to reproduce on you. ;)

Here's some more Mosin pr0n...my laminated M44 and hex receiver 1923 91/30:
    DSC01466.jpg

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I think the 44 is easier to handle. ive never seen the non bayonet 38. the 91 is just so DAMN huge! thanks for the insight
    Ive never shot one, or any highpower over a 223 before.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think the 44 is easier to handle. ive never seen the non bayonet 38. the 91 is just so DAMN huge! thanks for the insight
    Ive never shot one, or any highpower over a 223 before.

Yeah...I've only seen the M38 a few times for sale at the local Dunhams.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I think i heard something about the bayo helping the 44 balance and that it makes it a easier to shoot rifle than the 38. do you think there is anything to that?

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've never shot the M38, so I don't know for sure. I don't recall thinking that extending the bayo helped the balance of the M44 that much though. I had read at one time that for the best accuracy the rifle's bayo had to be extended. I think the sights were calibrated to take into account the bayonet or something like that.

Russian doctrine at that time required that soldiers were to have their bayonets fixed at all times while in a combat zone.

Top Bottom