• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    After todays range session I have 3 outings and thanks to the ammo shortage only 309 rounds using this optic. So far I would say it is a wash. It is fine, but I see no big upside. Part of this could just be my experience with slide mounted pistol optics. I plan to shoot it in an IDPA match tomorrow and hope to gain valuable feedback from that. My thought is that under the pressure of competition and on various size and distances of targets, the chevron may give me problems. We shall see.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My ACSS Vulcan is now showing a ship date of 5/19/2021. I’ll believe it when I get a shipping notification. I’m probably going to stay with my RMR anyway.

I put a CHPWS MIL/LEO plate on my G19.5 MOS along with Trijicon Bright & Tough white outline/green lamp suppressor-height night sights and this combo seems to work well together. It only took about 1/4 turn or less to zero at 20 yards. Now the real work begins. It’s going to be expensive getting proficient with today’s ammo prices.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well, the match was a bust. I had my lowest placing to date in 6th. Not all of that can be contributed to the optic but some of it definitely can. Some things, like breaking the rules and getting penalties because I'm not familiar with all of the IDPA rules obviously was part of the problem. Unfortunately the optic was part of the problem. For me, being used to a plain dot, the chevron is an unneeded distraction when trying to go fast and especially when trying to go fast on small/partial targets. The big outer ring I can take or leave. I certainly don't see it as a help but it does not bother me. I will keep this on here long enough to give it a little more time and one more match. If I don't come around to liking it by then, I will put it on another gun and let people I coach try it out.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Mine jumped back to 03/18/2022

I am still toying with the circle/dot version. Keeping the Vulcan on order just in case, but most likely will cancel the order or just sell it when (if) I get it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As of today (5/20/21) Primary Arms has these in stock.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Shot yesterday's match with the large outer ring shut off. Much better for me. The Chevron is still somewhat problematic for tight shots at speed. I am thinking the only way I could use this sight long term is if I went all in and put it on all of my RDS pistols.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Mine came back in stock and I went ahead and bought it. Be here in a few days.

I still have a problem picking up the circle/dot on the one I have installed. I admit I am not dedicating enough time to it right now. Next couple weeks and things will slow down a bit where I can work with it more.

I liked the idea of the chevron, but now I am not sure. Will be interesting to compare the two.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had a chance to run some low light drills with the Vulcan last night. No issues with seeing the reticle when using a WML. I didn't even have to crank brightness all the way. The chevron showed nice and crisp.

I do think the chevron is rather large. Frankly, I wish it were 6 moa or smaller. I know that would mess with the hold overs or whatever, but a 10 MOA pyramid covers a lot of the target. I was shooting 8" steel plates at 10-12 yards, and the chevron fills about 50% of the plate. I know you should only focus on the tip of the pyramid, but visually it's a big departure from a standard dot.

I tend to agree with cedartop that going back and forth between this reticle and a standard dot might cause some problems.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I just actually bought a HS507C X2 for my shotgun. At 54 years old my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and both front and rear sights are getting kind of blurry.

Hopefully this helps.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I locked the brightness on my current dot. Running dry fire I noticed that inside was fine, outside was fine but transitioning to one while in the other left me unable to see the dot. Particularly when inside and aiming out. It washed out.

Then I was showing the sight to a guy and he couldn't find the dot at all. I explained that it was tough to begin with. When I got the gun back I couldn't find the dot either. Seems that his thumb must have been at the right spot to keep hitting the - button and he turned it all the way down.

When I got home I locked it so that couldn't happen.

I don't carry with a WML. I have considered it, but that just adds bulk that I am not ready to deal with yet.

Once I test the chevron I will decide which I want to keep and sell the other one. Had they been in stock sooner I wouldn't have to make a decision at all.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have attached the new Vulcan optic to a spare pistol with a rubber band. I know that makes the height off by a bit, but for testing I thought it better than removing the other optic.

My first thoughts, and remember that I am brand new to the pistol optic game, are that it is too busy for me.

The big dot does let you know which way to go, but I find myself concentrating on that instead of the target. Same as I was doing with the dot on the other sight, but at least that was pointing at the target.

I can see where the chevron could be easier to use for varied distances. I'm not that good at guessing the yardage out that far so I would still be guessing at which part of the chevron to use.

Working on attaining the proper push out would be easier with the big circle telling you what you did wrong. After proper practice and training I think it would be needed less than it is worth. I know it can be shut off as well.

Guess I wish they had the circle/dot option over the chevron.

Don't hate on me too much. I literally opened the box yesterday but didn't get it propped up until last night. This in no way should be considered a review in good standing. Just rambling thoughts from a newbie.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So I have both sights outside. Same light, same light, same distance and all that. Have both set to brightest and not with the auto.

Why does it seem to me that the chevron is easier to pick up in bright light with white background, as in aiming at a gravel drive?

Inside I run them both and cross them so I see the red from both at the same time. All looks identical. Then when I try against a white background the circle/dot seems to wash out significantly whereas the chevron looks the same.

Shouldn't be a battery issue as only a couple weeks difference.

Maybe I am drunk and don't realize it. Maybe my eye catches the chevron easier. Maybe I am making it all up.

I haven't looked at the manual on the Vulcan version to see if they have a higher setting, but I would find that as odd.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well I have all but decided to get rid of the ACSS sight.

I figured out the lighting difference, it was me and a setting.

Just like the circle/dot better. The chevron isn't as overpowering with as high as I have it set. I still need to figure out whether to leave it set to a higher brightness or deal with the wash out when outside on a sunny day.

Either way that isn't something that is different per sight. Since I started out with the other one I guess I will just stay with it.

Anyone that was on the ledge on getting one can buy it from me. I will leave it posted here before putting it in the classifieds for a bit.

It is a nice set-up, but I think I ruined it by getting the other first.

ETA: I will try and move my questions and comments regarding the other sight in the other RDS thread. Sorry for the thread jack.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The only reasons I am trying to make the Vulcan work for me is that the Chevron is very crisp to my eyes and doesn't wash out as easy in varying sun conditions like the dot only can.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    This looks perfect for me! Too bad I already purchased the previous red dot Holoson last fall. If I knew this was coming out I would have waited for it.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I just picked one up locally. (Thanks Dudley!) I was able to look through it and somehow it wasn’t blurry. Most red dots look starbursty due to my astigmatism, but this one was clear. I’m not sure how Holosun did it but I was more than happy to finally find something I can see clearly.

2c3929f9eb876b89cc34ad2efafdafa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Haha,

Glocks are what I’m not terrible with

I noticed that looking through the optic outside gives me a clearer chevron than when I’m looking through it indoors.

Either way, it’s installed and ready to test, just need some free time to go plink

DoubleEagle32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    I just picked one up locally. (Thanks Dudley!) I was able to look through it and somehow it wasn’t blurry. Most red dots look starbursty due to my astigmatism, but this one was clear. I’m not sure how Holosun did it but I was more than happy to finally find something I can see clearly.

2c3929f9eb876b89cc34ad2efafdafa6.jpg

Was thinking about that Holosun for my g19 gen5 mos. do you have the Glock plate or aftermarket?

Top Bottom