• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Holosun is collaborating with Primary Arms to bring a new micro red dot reticle to the market. It was originally supposed to called the Cyclops and was in process of being released prior to Trijicon's lawsuit against Holosun. Now that all that's settled it's being released as the "Vulcan" with 10 moa Chevron triangle for the center dot and a 100+ MOA circle which is supposed to help shooters find the dot and adjust more quickly.

The idea is that the circle can't be seen when arms are fully extended out, so if the Chevron isn't centered you get a section of the circle in the field of view which intuitively tells you which way you need to adjust point of aim. Supposed to be really nice for folks new to pistol red dots. I've been on the fence for a while now and this pushed me over the edge. Did a pre-order through Primary Arms. Total was $345 with tax and shipping. Supposed to ship in late Feb. They're also in stock at Rainier Arms today (12/30/2020).

It's a really interesting concept and even can be used as a BDC reticle for shots between 25 - 100 yards.

HS507C-X2-ACSS_09.jpg

I'm pretty pumped to try this.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Very interested! The 100 MOA circle intuitively sounds like a winner! Not sure about the chevron, so will be really interested in your experience.

What handgun are you mounting this on?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    The 100 MOA circle is an interesting idea. I believe SwampFox had that on one of their early pistol red dots, but it never carried over to later models.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I would love to try one. I found that a cheap air soft red dot on my sirt and a ton of dry fire helped get used to the dot, but this yuge circle looks like it could be nice too. I also wish the center was a dot and not a chevron, but whatever.

240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Fishers
    I remember the first time I tried a micro red dot. Couldn't find it at first, that new system should help.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Kenzie's Optics had them in stock about a week ago - $309.99 shipped. Haven't checked since I got their email blast last week.

Pretty interesting setup - might pick one up. I'm trying to get this red dot thing figured out :ingo:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That the circle is not in view when you are squared up with the dot is pretty cool. Yet it shows itself when you are off. I'm already invested in a RMR so I won't go that route but I'm still interested in how it works for those of you that are getting one.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Definitely have mixed feelings on this. Initial thoughts are that it is for people who can't shoot well and won't practice. Looking at some of the comments in the video support this belief. It is similar to using your iron sights as training wheels to find your dot. People who do that tend to have a problem with speed. Maybe this will be more intuitive and faster? I will have to try one out to really know.

In the second video the guy was all hyped about shooting from positions with it. IDPA and USPSA shooters do this all of the time and manage to be faster and more accurate than iron sight shooters. Again, I guess I will just have to see how it works on real life. Trying to keep an open mind.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Initial thoughts are that it is for people who can't shoot well and won't practice.
    Well, yeah. And that's like 90% of gun owners.

Would it be nice if all those folks spent the time, effort and money to learn the way of the gun and commit themselves to proficiency? Sure, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that if there is a "cheat" (for lack of a better word) to make the average EDCer faster and more accurate, then I don't see much of a downside.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like Mrgunsngear for his great work putting out content. I watch a lot of his stuff.

That said, you could sure tell that he did not like to be told in his video comments that he should dry fire practice more. Said he "dry fire practices plenty." :n00b:

If he doesn't carry with a dot or compete with one, it would be hard for me to imagine him or anyone else being motivated enough to be as proficient as they'd like?

I'm new to this myself, but it seems to me that if you are having trouble finding the dot, you need more reps to come to seeing the dot when and where you need to vs a better way to find it? When you push out, if the dot's not where it needs to be you are doing something wrong. Something that needs work on your part.

I'm with cedartop, not saying that this big circle might not be helpful for those starting out. It's not the end all be all though. Ultimately it's all about consistently griping, drawing and pushing out. Both hands, strong hand, weak hand, from every position.

On the sight, I'm very happy to see the variety and economy that Holosun is pushing into this market. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think an apt comparison to the large ring is like using bumpers in bowling. If you know what you're doing and already proficient with your presentation (roll) you'll never even see the ring (or hit the bumper). Or you can shut it off all together.

If you're just starting out, or you still throw the occasional gutter ball when trying to spin the ball, having the bumpers (ring) is a nice guide rail as you try new things.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think an apt comparison to the large ring is like using bumpers in bowling. If you know what you're doing and already proficient with your presentation (roll) you'll never even see the ring (or hit the bumper). Or you can shut it off all together.

If you're just starting out, or you still throw the occasional gutter ball when trying to spin the ball, having the bumpers (ring) is a nice guide rail as you try new things.
    I am anxious for you to get one. I would like to see first hand whether I could pick the cheveron as fast a dot or for if I could even make out the cheveron with old eyes?

My interest lately has been toward the enclosed HE509T. It's amazing how much of a dust funnel the open RDS's are. I like the idea of dot/reticle options also.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had been looking hard at the 509T also. The fact that it has a proprietary footprint scared me off a little bit. The VP9 has a reputation of having a slide that's a little tricky to mill, so using something with a RMR footprint was a priority to give me more options in terms of shops that could do the cut.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like Mrgunsngear for his great work putting out content. I watch a lot of his stuff.

That said, you could sure tell that he did not like to be told in his video comments that he should dry fire practice more. Said he "dry fire practices plenty." :n00b:

If he doesn't carry with a dot or compete with one, it would be hard for me to imagine him or anyone else being motivated enough to be as proficient as they'd like?

I'm new to this myself, but it seems to me that if you are having trouble finding the dot, you need more reps to come to seeing the dot when and where you need to vs a better way to find it? When you push out, if the dot's not where it needs to be you are doing something wrong. Something that needs work on your part.

I'm with cedartop, not saying that this big circle might not be helpful for those starting out. It's not the end all be all though. Ultimately it's all about consistently griping, drawing and pushing out. Both hands, strong hand, weak hand, from every position.

On the sight, I'm very happy to see the variety and economy that Holosun is pushing into this market. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I wouldn't rule it out.
    BW, do you know what happened to the thread where we were talking about making the move to red dots? Did it disappear with the update to the new site? I tried to find it in my activity, but it didn't show up.

I'd like to continue on with general red dot talk since this thread is more about a specific product.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    BW, do you know what happened to the thread where we were talking about making the move to red dots? Did it disappear with the update to the new site? I tried to find it in my activity, but it didn't show up.

I'd like to continue on with general red dot talk since this thread is more about a specific product.
    What do you know? Found it in my deleted items box from a few weeks ago. I know the site's busy with the changeover and all, but I too wish they would get the search function working.

Top Bottom