• ...and so much more!
  • ShyKat.22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Vincennes, Indiana
    Hi ya'll. Its me again with a question.
    So, I graduated college this past weekend and as a gift the bf is getting me a new gun.
    We have it down to three options, but Im looking for some input from people who've owned them and what they think.

my first choice is the S&W Bodyguard 380.
    the bfs is the Ruger LC380
    and the last choice is the Walther PK380 (this made the list because I love my walther p22)

If you've had any of these what did you like/hate about it. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks guys!!

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Ok, I know you're asking for opinions about the S & W and Walther .380 pistols; which I don't own either, or any .380s.
    But I wondered... after reading your post, have you shot or practiced with a .380?
    You mentioned having a Walther p22, which .22 pistols are fun to shoot(I have a Ruger SR22).

In my experience .380 pistols were not much fun to shoot and not very accurate. Which is not to say everyone feels the same way.
    The little devils are cute but the jolt from shooting a .380 caused me to change my mind and buy a compact 9mm pistol--very comfortable and accurate in my hands. And the compact 9mm is easy to carry or conceal.

My concern is that you don't go buy something and not like it. :( So please do TRY it before you buy one if you haven't. That would go for any handgun for that matter. Like buying a car--test drive it first.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I don't have an LC380 but I do have a similar sized and designed Diamondback DB380. It's a fine handgun in my opinion and it's VERY small and therefore very concealable. It is very accurate at any distance I've tried it with. So from that viewpoint, it's great. But....

It just hurts to shoot it. The .380 cartridge is "snappy" and in such a light gun as this is, and as all the ones you are considering are, it hurts.

My EDC is a Beretta Nano in 9mm. It's almost as small, although if you look at one and then the other you'd swear the Nano is a lot bigger. But if you hold them side-by-side, you'll see that the Nano is only a tiny bit larger.

But shooting the Nano is so much nicer than the DB380. I'll suggest you consider the Nano or one of the similar sub-compact 9mm handguns out there. I think you'll like the 9mm better than the .380 and almost anyone here will tell you that 9mm is a superior defensive round to the .380.

blitz91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Terre Haute, In
    i cant agree more with the above, i personally love 9mm for compacts, i've put quite a few rounds through mine and i love it but again i cant say what you should or shouldn't get, definitely get out there and shoot some stuff and figure out whats really right for you!!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Best advice I can give you is to find a range or fellow INGOer that will let you test fire each of these before you buy one. All these guns have good reputations.

Where are you located at? One of us could point you in the right direction.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I'll second the notion of "try before you buy".
    The wife picked up a Bodyguard last fall with the intention of carrying it.
    Problem is she has tendonitis. If her wrists are bothering her, she has a real hard time with the recoil. Had it out this past weekend and after 4 mags she was done.

It's a nice enough little gun, but it IS snappy, and there's not a whole lot there to hold on to. Everyone is different, you may not have a problem with it, but the wife is looking for a new carry gun.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I have shot just about every caliber and every size of handgun. I do not consider myself recoil sensitive but shooting small .380s is anything but enjoyable and for some people can be unpleasant. Larger, heavier .380s would absorb much more of the recoil but if you're going to go that big you might as well carry a 9mm (parabellum). There are many small 9mm pistols not much larger than compact .380. I personally carry a Kahr PM9, very compact and enjoyable to shoot.

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    My .380..... a Bersa Thunder is a joy to shoot..... It's cheap, conceals well and is my carry piece

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I'm not recoil sensitive so I don't really feel that a .380 is bad to shoot.
    The people suggesting that you get a 9mm could be right IF it's a heavy pistol. If you shoot a Ruger LCP VS a Sig P238 the P238 has a much less noticeable recoil due to it's weight. Like wise a light weight Sig P938 9mm will have more recoil than a larger framed 9mm or even a light weight .380.
    Recoil is related to Pressure and Weight a 380 ACP is loaded to around 15,500 CUP VS 9MM Luger 31,000 CUP (copper units of pressure) There is always reduced recoil loads available from ammo manufactures. :twocents:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I think you'd like a PPQ better than the options you listed**.
    Seems like it'd be a closer match to your P22.

**Can't give you any data on the models listed, as I have no experience with any of them.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    On the choices you listed, I would choose the Walther. I've read up on the S&W and from what I hear, they start to wear out way too fast. They did an article about them in G&A and the author didn't recommend getting the S&W Bodyguard. I have shot the Ruger LCP and didn't like it one bit. I got my gf a Sig P238 and she loves it and its fun to shoot.

Now, with that said, I'm with the rest of the group in saying go with a 9mm. If you want recommendations, just ask and let the bombardment of suggestions come! :)

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have not used any of the 3 you listed. I will say that the 9mm may be cheaper over all to shot. You may find it harder to find .380 ACP ammo, driving more or being on the Internet longer. To me the recoil between the two is about the same so a 9mm would be the one to look at. I have never seen .380 in cheaper boxes of 100, you can see 9mm in 100 round boxes of target type rounds cheaper than buying 100 rounds in 20 or 50 round boxes. You will end up having 9mm, 40 S&W, .45 ACP firing guns like most so skip the .380 and go to the 9mm.

Railroadguy79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    I have had two of those guns the S&W Bodyguard 380 and Ruger LC380 Didn't care for either one of them. If your looking for a great carry gun check out M&P Shield 9mm the best carry gun I have every had!!!

Top Bottom