WTS: New Crop English (Carpathian) Walnut and Pecan Seedling Trees.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    New this year approximately 36 English Walnut (Carpathian variety) and 12-18+ Pecan seedling trees. These take about 15-18 years to mature and start producing nuts in quantity. Both trees are excellent for shade and are strong vigorous trees that have withstood 40-50 mph winds with minimal damage. We harvest 100 plus pounds of English Walnuts per year from three trees and about half that from six Pecan trees. As an added bonus any limbs trimmed from the Pecan trees make excellent chips for smoking steaks/roasts on the grill. I had limited space when these were planted and they are too crowded, but if you have acreage available, would make an excellent nut grove if properly spaced. The English Walnuts are easy to harvest as they just open up and fall to the ground in late September/October. The Pecans fall in early November. It is however, a race to beat the tree rats to the harvest. If you have multiple trees, no problem, there's plenty to share. I'm looking for $5 for each tree and if you buy ten I'll throw one in for free. I'm in Noblesville and not willing to drive to meet. PM and I will provide directions for pick up. One final note: These do well here, but any further North would be a gamble. I have had some winter damage in years past. Nothing to kill the trees, but had to top two Pecans from the cold weather damage. Now for the pictures:

f601cac7-6e05-49dd-ad23-fceb140775c0_zps1h2xjrrs.jpg

Mature Pecan trees Approx 40 ft tall

f45df40e-b557-4311-bdfe-4f4b7e084fef_zpsnguqsepp.jpg

Mature walnut tree approx 30 ft tall.

nuts_zpsfezt70rm.jpg

Nuts on a Walnut tree in June

fall%20opening_zpslnvhi8yd.jpg

Nuts in late September opening and ready to drop.

group_zpsdqjpbzfm.jpg

Seedlings ready to plant

gathered_zps6itysxn8.jpg

The harvest from 2015, 10 total baskets.

Check nursery prices for Carpathian Walnut trees. These are a bargain.
    I have a couple of two and three year old trees available also so PM for additional pricing and pick up arrangements.
    All the best and thanks for any interest. This is a long term plan, but you will be greatly rewarded for your patience!

No trade interests, but PM me and we can discuss it.

Last edited:

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Pecan trees are all spoken for. May be able to scare up one or two more. Less than two dozen English Walnut trees left. The two and three year old Walnut trees are gone also.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Only 10 English walnut trees remaining. Pecans are gone. Tree rats got all that were left. Chewed off the tree and stole the nut on 12 trees. You just wait Mr. Tree Rat, September is just a few months away!

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Final update. All potted trees are gone. I have a few marked for potting in the fall after they go dormant. New seedlings will be available next Spring. Thanks everyone.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom