• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hey there INGO, I'm going to get into competitive shooting. I have no idea where to start. I'd like to shoot IDPA and USPSA if I can.

Right now I have no pistols I'd like to use, so I'll use this an excuse to build a 1911 for myself. :rockwoot: I am planning on building a standard, no rail, 5 inch 1911. I have a few questions though.

If I build it will that prevent me from shooting in IDPA production division? I don't want a crazy magwell or anything, just your standard 1911. I'd like to run novak sights green rear red front as well.

What holster to run?

Who makes a good belt?

What else am I missing?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Ok, I think I found the belt I need.

On a side note this gun will become an EDC gun so I'll need a holster that is ok for competitions and good for EDC. I want to practice how I plan to play.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'll use this an excuse to build a 1911 for myself. :rockwoot: I am planning on building a standard, no rail, 5 inch 1911. I have a few questions though.

If I build it will that prevent me from shooting in IDPA production division? I don't want a crazy magwell or anything, just your standard 1911. I'd like to run novak sights green rear red front as well.

Any standard 5" 1911, with bushing barrel (not bull!), and even certain magwells (like S&A or a couple of the larger ones), will be perfectly competitive in IDPA and USPSA.

In either USPSA or IDPA, NO 1911 is legal in the production divisions. Both, however, have divisions that cater to 8+1 round .45s (Single Stack in USPSA, Custom Defensive Pistol in IDPA). In USPSA, with some 10-round mags, you can also be competitive in Limited-10 division.

idpa.com and uspsa.org are where you can go to find the rulebooks with specific rules and permitted mods. Watch you don't get too heavy, there are weight limits in both.

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    get a blade tech or a comp tac holster, both will work in IDPA and USPA and decent for carry

I would recommend instead of building to check the for sale forums on here and brianenos.com/forums
    and find a nice used not adused 1911 and get a minimum of 5 mags (wilson or metalforms) and get 4 or 5 mag holders and spend the rest of the dough on ammo

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Really? No 1911 can shoot in the production division? Darn.

I'm on the Maku mozo forums often. I'd really like to learn how to build a 1911 and I'm going to use this as an excuse to build it. :cool:

Thanks for the info!!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

I'm on the Maku mozo forums often. I'd really like to learn how to build a 1911 and I'm going to use this as an excuse to build it. :cool:

Thanks for the info!!
    Yes no single action style guns in production. Plus it is scored minor, no advantage of 45 major rounds

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'd love to come but I'm a stretch of 12's for the next 7 days. Starting today. Ugh. But, this will help me buy that new 1911 and gear. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

What holster to run?

Who makes a good belt?

What else am I missing?

I'd start with reading through the respective rule books.

United States Practical Shooting Association
    International Defensive Pistol Association

There no IDPA "production division" per se. The divisions in IDPA are:
    1. Stock Service Pistol (the division akin to a production division)
    2. Enhanced Service Pistol
    3. Custom Defensive Pistol
    4. Stock Service Revolver
    5. Enhanced Service Revolver
    A 1911 would be in custom defensive pistol if it's in .45ACP and in enhanced service pistol in other calibers.

Don't get hung-up on the division. Just bring your gear and shoot in whatever division your gear dictates. There is no difference in IDPA in ability level based on division. That's what classification is for.

In USPSA, a 1911 would be best suited to Single Stack or Limited 10 divisions. You could also shoot it in Open or Limited if you chose, but it's not the best choice for either.

For holsters, you only need two things:
    1. Trigger guard must be covered (mandatory)
    2. It should be rigid enough to reholster with one hand
    I'd go with a simple kydex belt holster. Blade-Tech makes a nice injection-molded holster and mag carriers that are suitable for both IDPA and USPSA.

Lots of good source for belts. The least expensive option for a serious gunbelt is the Uncle Mike's instructor's belt. It has an internal piece of polymer to stiffen it and you can get them for $25 or less.

If you come to an ACT CP101 Intro Competition Pistol classes or a few of our instructional league shoots it will greatly enhance your entry into the action/practical shooting sports.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

No, but production division in USPSA and IPSC specifically exclude single action pistols.

Why does it matter? Is there a reason why you wish to be in production division? If so, get a Glock or an M&P instead of a 1911 and you're set.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I was politely directed over here, I have couple of questions myself, also a noob in this. I will soon be the fortunate owner of a CZ SP-01 9mm. Where does this gun fit in? I petitioned Comp-tac yesterday (re: begged). To support that model. I did observe that Blade-Tec does however. I'm not familiar with Blade-tec but I do have a Minotaur IWB for my Kel tec P11 that I just love. I probably won't even attempt competition until next year. I don't have plans to carry the CZ at this time. Are belt mag holders recommended or required?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I was politely directed over here, I have couple of questions myself, also a noob in this. I will soon be the fortunate owner of a CZ SP-01 9mm. Where does this gun fit in? I petitioned Comp-tac yesterday (re: begged). To support that model. I did observe that Blade-Tec does however. I'm not familiar with Blade-tec but I do have a Minotaur IWB for my Kel tec P11 that I just love. I probably won't even attempt competition until next year. I don't have plans to carry the CZ at this time. Are belt mag holders recommended or required?

You need the mag holders. The gun will fit in Production division. There is going be competition training at Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol club in September, and it is open to non club members. If you wait and try competition next year you will be disappointed you did not start sooner.

My ACT league matches are a great place to begin as well.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

You need the mag holders. The gun will fit in Production division. There is going be competition training at Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol club in September, and it is open to non club members. If you wait and try competition next year you will be disappointed you did not start sooner.

He is telling you the truth:)
    If it wasn't for these league matches I wouldn't be shooting in competitions at all.
    It is a great place to learn all the basics without the pressure of trying to learn at a club match with 40 or more shooters.
    You get to shott stages twice with constructive criticism:) in between.
    It really speeds up the learning curve.
    I try to get to every one that takes place when I am not working.
    Do it You won't be sorry

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

I compete with all Blade-Tech gear, as do many others. Buy with confidence.

The sooner you start, the sooner the fun.

AND you will also know what to practice over the wintertime and come back even better in the spring.

This! :+1:,000,000

The ACT League and ACT classes like "Intermediate Pistol" are great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYO3DKlEqAs

Click on my USPSA number below to see my progression. It's because of the training I got from ACT
    (ignore the Limited ones :D )

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Also, check out Angus Hobdell's Facebook page, he's a CZ shooter and one of the best USPSA Production shooters around.

He'll tell you what gear and what not he uses.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I would love to start earlier than next year, but I'm sure these training courses, while beneficial, are not free or if I had to guess, cheap either. Heck I still need to pay off the gun. I havenKt had a chance to investigate the ACT courses website yet but I know any sport has an up front cost to get started. Maybe it would be helpful for others considering this sport to have a basic cost summary or estimate not including the gun. So to summarize my situation I'm waiting until next year because of money. In the meantime I will gather up required costs vs "like to do but optional" costs .

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I shot matches before any of the training.

If anything, I had an idea of what I needed to work on when I went to the classes.

I've shot quite a few matches this year with brand new shooters. One guy had a simple Uncle Mike's holster and a pouch for his mags.

I started last year with a simple Glock holster and two Fobus paddle mag holders.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm kinda looking to get into the sport as well...I've shot FNS a couple times and think I'm hooked. I THINK I've found a pretty decent deal on a complete rig, but am asking for opinions and help. I've been shooting a Sig X-Five AR, Production class.

So, what I found includes the following:

1) Blade-Tech DOH ASR Holster
    2) Three New Blade-Tech Pro Series single mag pouches with Tek-Lok, Right Handed.
    3) Your Choice DAA or CR Speed Super Hi Torque Belt 25-50 waist

Price, including shipping is $209.00 Can I do better piecing it together on my own? Any components I should consider changing? It seems the CR Speed belt is more widely used, is that the better choice? Any used but serviceable stuff out there someone is willing to part with more cheaply? - although I'd guess I'm not going to be able to avoid buying the holster new :(

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was looking at their Bobby McGee line. It looked like an ok deal.

Shooting an X-5 AR? I've got an X-5 comp that I'd love to run but that dang magwell is too big.

Top Bottom