• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    So I text a guy on armlist about a listing. He says he and the gun are in Maine. It's not listed in the Maine section, only Indiana. He says he "wants it listed in Indiana" and that was all I heard from him. So I guess my question is "what's his angle?". Is he trying to get people to send him money so he can keep it and avoid a FTF? Or is he going to call me six months from now and try n trick me into giving personal info.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So I text a guy on armlist about a listing. He says he and the gun are in Maine. It's not listed in the Maine section, only Indiana. He says he "wants it listed in Indiana" and that was all I heard from him. So I guess my question is "what's his angle?". Is he trying to get people to send him money so he can keep it and avoid a FTF? Or is he going to call me six months from now and try n trick me into giving personal info.

Ummmmm :dunno:

If he and the guns are in Maine you can't do a FTF without an FFL.

Walk away.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If he asks for a Paypal gift, cash or some other form if non-returnable payment, you have your answer. If you are purchasing from armslist I STRONGLY suggest FTF only. It may be hard to guarantee that you and the seller have the same view on the condition of the firearm. What you see as fair, he may see as excellent. Also, do you have a fail-proof way to make sure he does ship it to your local FFL? It's a somewhat sketchy place to begin with for firearm transactions so take all the precautions you can.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

lJbmR.jpg

He knows.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

I've seen this with boats on Craigslist. They get you to send the money to some fake online bank, to hold until it ships to you and you are happy. Problem is, it never ships because it doesn't exist, and the fake bank is the perp. They'll use a reputable name with the online bank to sucker you. (usually called something other than a bank, I just can't remember. The boat scam used Yahoo in the name.) The boat scam I saw was out of Oklahoma, but the guy was really in England. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is a scam.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've seen this with boats on Craigslist. They get you to send the money to some fake online bank, to hold until it ships to you and you are happy. Problem is, it never ships because it doesn't exist, and the fake bank is the perp. They'll use a reputable name with the online bank to sucker you. (usually called something other than a bank, I just can't remember. The boat scam used Yahoo in the name.) The boat scam I saw was out of Oklahoma, but the guy was really in England. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is a scam.

Here's a pretty good description of the scam and how one guy turned the tables with hilarious results.

The Powerbook Prank: He wanted a Powerbook. We gave him a P-P-P-Powerbook!

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Im pretty familiar with most scams. Normally they email. This was the first one who wanted to text. I just thought it was a strange variation.

urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Currently I found this listing for the same rifle with the same description same phone number in Wyoming and Indiana. The person said they were from a city that does not exist in Maine and the phone # lookup traces back to Pennsylvania. Also, the listing they have in Wyoming connects the seller to a current listing in Hawaii. The person said they would ship anywher in the U.S. I did not buy it either.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    Since the numbers are already exchanged, you can alway call. Ask alot of questions if they answer. If they take too long, constantly hesitate, or just plain old don't have the answers, you'll know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will only buy on line from established business. No guns I can not see and no boats that do not exist. I am leery of craigslist. If I have to go out of the state, I do not need it.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Probably a BATFE sting operation...

I see a lot of that on Craigslist for cars, computers, and anything else higher priced.

Top Bottom