• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Saturday I went into Plainfield Shooting Supply, knowing that it would be highly unlikely to find the pistol I have been wanting to complete my immediate want list. I was right. No Glock 23 in OD Green and no prospect for one anytime soon.

My son and I had been talking guns in the truck on the way there. In fact, we had been talking guns all morning. What else is new?

I had been saying that I really wasn't craving anything other than that Glock 23. I felt like I had what I wanted.

Well, after talking to Bob about the Glock I just wandered around a bit. Some guy was playing with a Sig AR. When he was done, I played with it a little bit. After all, I figure I will buy an AR eventually. It's one of those guns you have to have. But I have a WASR 10, so I don't need it right away.

The Sig felt pretty nice. I seriously considered it. About $1500, but very nice. Then the nice salesman showed me the DPMS Sportical -- that sport/tactical. For the price of the Sig I could buy the DPMS and customize it over time and have more for less. More or less.

So I went for it.

image.aspx

I have the Sportical. I have an EOTech 551 on the way. I've joined AR15.com

But I really don't know much about black rifles. Where do I start? Is this thing going to steal my affection away from Glocks? I'm betting that somebody here has an opinion.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    All I can say is welcome to the madness! Once you have a basic AR you can do whatever you want with it b/c there are so many things made for the Black Rifle system. I have several set up for specific functions and love them all. Just curious if Bob had any other ARs in stock? Prices on 5.56 ammo? His shop is so far from me now and with traffic it's almost an all day affair for me to go out there. Welcome to the world of Black Rifles btw! I love my EOTech 552 as well as my ACOG. I think the ACOG wins out just b/c you never need batteries and it's always on and the graduated 4x reticle. I have the 4x Military model on my M4. There I go ramblin again.. sorry. Enjoy the new rifle! Maybe we should organize an AR gtg somewhere.:twocents:

Hey... We share the same birthday!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Mine has multiplied once since December, and is pregnant with two more. (I ordered two stripped lowers and bought one lower parts kit!)

I've also placed an order for a Remington R25 (.308). My original intention was just to buy one simple AR15. Funny thing, though. My original Bushy is still, by a narrow margin, my favorite!

Welcome to the club! I'm DanW on AR15.com

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Glocks and ARs go hand-in-hand; both are black, partially plastic, won't win any beauty contests, and are supremely functional tools. :yesway: I have "a few" of each, and they coexist well.

rmcrob & IndyBassin: hit me off-list if you have specific AR questions I can help you out with.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Sig makes an AR15? Or are you talking about their 556- the updated version of the old Swiss Sig 5xx rifles?

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Sig makes an AR15? Or are you talking about their 556- the updated version of the old Swiss Sig 5xx rifles?
    I don't know. I'm totally ignorant about black rifles. All I know is that the tag said Sig.

I was a previously owned gun that had never been fired. Something about the guy returning it because of money or something. Very nice gun.

I think it was probably something like this:

SIG556Detail_left.jpg

which I found with this label: SIG SAUER 556 RIFLES

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yeah, it was the 556. You're definitely better going with that AR, even if I don't personally like what DPMS has to offer. A rifle in hand is better than drool on your chin and keyboard!

Now hurry up and do this to it:

09288cf6cafbacc5b28bb2a2725751b2.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Glocks and ARs go hand-in-hand; both are black, partially plastic, won't win any beauty contests, and are supremely functional tools. :yesway: I have "a few" of each, and they coexist well.

rmcrob & IndyBassin: hit me off-list if you have specific AR questions I can help you out with.

You know I will.

trooper.jpg

+

G19-2.jpg

=

:chuck:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Yeah, it was the 556. You're definitely better going with that AR, even if I don't personally like what DPMS has to offer. A rifle in hand is better than drool on your chin and keyboard!

Now hurry up and do this to it:

09288cf6cafbacc5b28bb2a2725751b2.jpg

Better going with the AR because of the price?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yeah, that Sig is nothing special. Kinda ugly, feel kinda funky. The newer models they're coming out with soon are much nicer looking. A little overpriced too...

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Yeah, that Sig is nothing special. Kinda ugly, feel kinda funky. The newer models they're coming out with soon are much nicer looking. A little overpriced too...

Yikes.

As a proud owner of that SIG, I'd have to disagree with you.
    Have you ever actually shot a SIG 556?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    No but it's a good thing I never said they were horrible shooters. I hate the looks and ergonomics of the rifle. I picked one up and put it right down.

I wouldn't rely on it in any serious situation.

How many rounds have you put through yours and what types of ammo?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Sig is an accurate and proven weapon, just not my cup of tea. Now... an AR on the other hand always peaks my interest. They are just so versatile and so much fun. Any of you guys use the Beta C mags in 5.56 and 9mm?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That Sig 556 is not a proven weapon by any means...

I can't argue the point since I don't really know. Maybe I mispoke, but I THOUGHT they were proven. Haven't they been around for a while or is this a newer design? I do know that every Sig pistol I've owned has performed flawlessly.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Hey, to each his own.

The one thing it is not is a horrible shooter. The trigger is awesome. Looks, well that is a personal choice.

Ergonomics wise, it is a little front heavy. But, I actually like that because it stays on target well for me.

As far as relying on it, I think it probably would be more reliable than a typical AR because of its AK-style gas system. But, I don't think I'll ever be in that type of situation.

I also own a M&P 15X AR. Each rifle has its own advantages. You might like the SIG if you had the chance to shoot one.

Top Bottom