• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Just bought a new Remington 870 Express Magnum... Bone stock from Tactical Shotgunner. Got a great deal on it! I plan to use it as my home defense weao\pon of choice... but I also want to turn it into my "toy." Any suggestions on good quality upgrades?:ar15:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    knoxx recoil reduction stock is awsome. if you get a side saddle ammo holder spend the money on the mesa tactical one, its far better then the rest. Id also stay with 4-6 shells the 8 is really big and the gun gets really heavy fast the tube and side saddle. I personlly run a blackhawk sling, mesa leftside 6 shell holder, knox recoil ar type stock, it came with +2 tube with 18.5 barrel. I also stuck with a plain bead site. I have all 00buck in the tube, empty chamber, 3 00buck and 3 slug in the saddle. I leave the empty chamber so when i rack it i can slide a slug in as the next round should i feel the need to. This is what i prefer and what works for me at present. oh i have an orange follower as well.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    To quote Louis Awerbuck (or, at least, paraphrase), "Stop putting all that s*** on the gun!"

Clint Smith wisely recommends not doing/adding anything to a gun if you can't identify a specific problem the addition/modification solves. Resist the temptation to make the gun "cool."

I am assuming your 870 is the model 25077, which works great right out of the box. Shoot it a while--and then a while longer--before doing or adding anything to it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    To quote Louis Awerbuck (or, at least, paraphrase), "Stop putting all that s*** on the gun!"

Clint Smith wisely recommends not doing/adding anything to a gun if you can't identify a specific problem the addition/modification solves. Resist the temptation to make the gun "cool."

I am assuming your 870 is the model 25077, which works great right out of the box. Shoot it a while--and then a while longer--before doing or adding anything to it.

I would agree with Clint and Louis...to a point. A sling is a must, higher capacity is nice (mag extension) and a shell carrier is nice for reloads. I've not studied under Smith, but Louis is totally fine with my above listed accessories. The only thing I have on my 870 that Louis doesn't agree with is a Dave's Metalworks over sized safety...but I'm OK with that and I love the safety.

new mag follower, new over size safety, mag extension, shell carrier

This^^^
    if its home defense i would suggest putting a good light on it also

This^^

What ammo do you guys recommend for home protection?

00Buck is what I always recommend. Whatever you choose, be sure to pattern your chosen load on paper at ranges that you are likely to encounter in your home. You want to be sure that your patterns aren't going to be throwing errant pellets when you aim COM on a BG.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I have to agree with this. If it is going to be your HD shotgun then I would spend the time and money out practicing with it rather than put a bunch of stuff on it. Just my :twocents:. That is a very good gun as is and will serve you well. And congrats on the purchase! :D

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Here is my suggestion, First, if the gun is new the the finish will be good however if it is used and there is a little wear or you just don't like the finish, DURACOAT! Pick a color and coat it. Duracoat is easy to apply and will protect your gun very well. After that, add whatever parts you would like, this is what I have on mine.

Vang Comp follower
    TacticalShotgunner.com

Daves metal works over-sized safety. This is the best part I added to my shotgun by far as it makes taking off the safety much easier.
    TacticalShotgunner.com

Choate mag extension tube. Choose one that goes best with the length of your barrel.
    TacticalShotgunner.com

Knoxx stock, speaks for itself.
    TacticalShotgunner.com

GG&G sling adapter, gotta hold that thing somehow
    TacticalShotgunner.com

Urban ERT Sling
    TacticalShotgunner.com

Surefire forend light, just freaking awesome!
    Shotgun Weapon Light Products provided by SureFire

Fire sights, depends on the barrel you have and what sights are already on it, but these were a cheap solution to the current rifle sights on mine
    Shotgun FireSights from Williams Gun Sight Company, Inc.

And Enjoy!!!!!

PS might be a reason most of the links are to a certain web page, TSG is awesome and will help you out if you have any problems. Also a great place to get a feel on the parts you want to put on because of all the demo guns they have with various parts on them

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    I also have to agree with NIFT. The only other thing I may change on the gun is the over size safety. Nothing worse than fumbling around for the safety, especially when at a time when you will be needing this gun.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Please, don't get me wrong. I am not saying the gun must be left as is, out-of-the-box stock.

The OP plainly stated the gun is for home defense, and I advise not to make any modifications or additions until after shooting it for some time. Then, before making any modifications or additions, be sure there are specific, identifiable problems those modifications/additions solve, given the purpose of the gun.

duck1985

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Indianapolis- Broad Ripple
    I have the no jam mag follower and oversized safety from TSG and could not be happier. The way the mag follower performs is awesome. I can dump five rounds and not have any problems with it. I hope to get back down to TSG and get more stuff soon.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Just bought a new Remington 870 Express Magnum... Bone stock from Tactical Shotgunner. Got a great deal on it! I plan to use it as my home defense weaopon of choice... but I also want to turn it into my "toy." Any suggestions on good quality upgrades?:ar15:

gee whiz, I wonder where on earth you could find accessories and upgrades for your new shotgun?:rolleyes:

tdouthitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    NIFT is right. I have a Winchester 1200 defender 12 ga. with 00buck. Even though it is sold for the purpose of home defense it is great just bone stock.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    gee whiz, I wonder where on earth you could find accessories and upgrades for your new shotgun?:rolleyes:

I know.... Im still in shock that it left TSG in bone stock condition !!! ;)

We hunt w/ 870s so these are naturals for HD. Here is what I had Ron do to mine and my sons 870s: (+ERT slings now)

TscShotties005.jpg

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    how big a mess do you want to clean up go with #6 shot high brass you get eneough shot in case your aim is a little off it's getting scary out there

Top Bottom