• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    So I need to replace an old, interior door (one of the standard 6-panel, hollow ones). The rub: the replacement doors at Lowes are 1/2" too wide and a smidgen too tall.

I own an old, beat-up circular saw, but no table saw or anything else.

Question: can I simply mark and cut 1/2" off the hinge-side of the door, plus a little off the top, or will this open up the hollow insides of the door? Do manufacturers include thicker sides for trimming like this?

Would it be easier to buy a door and let the store trim it? Do any stores actually do this?

Thanks guys for any advice.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Horrible idea.

First, you aren't going to get a straight cut with a circular saw, even with a guide.
    Second, hinges are counter sunk, you would have to do that by hand.

Best option, buy a pre hung door and replace the whole thing.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Had the same issue. Pre-hung doors are narrower. I'll never understand why.

Here's what I did. Take the old door down and clamp it to the new door as a guide for your saw on the hinge side.. Get a new cheap blade. The wood isn't that hard, but a clean cut helps. After it's cut (you've got a few inches of material), clamp the doors together and use a square to transfer the hinge, and catch locations. Trace them out and then slowly chisel them in. If you're brave, you can use a router. Go slow, use lots of patience. Always remember, you can take a little more off, but putting material back is a pain.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Home Depot carries a wide variety of doors in different sizes. When we remodeled our master bath we needed a narrower door and they had just what we were looking for. However all of our doors are six panel solid oak. If it was me I would just call around and see what options are out there prior to trying to cut a door down.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    First thing I would do is ask at Lowes (or wherever) if they can/will cut the door down for you. Exact measurements are a must, of course.

If they cannot, or if it's far too expensive.... cutting one down yourself is not that difficult, even w/ an old saw.... if you are careful. Just go slowly, and don't force the saw thru too fast.

Using a straight 2x2 or 2x4 as a 'guide' for the outer edge of your saw will work fine. AGAIN, just be sure you have measured correctly, when clamping the 'guide' down. Also, use masking tape or blue painter's tape to help prevent splintering of the outer laminate on the door. Lay down the tape (centered along the 'cut line') and mark your new cut line on the tape.
    DO NOT use duct tape!

Hope this helps ya'....

Top Bottom