• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    My grandson is getting more and more into camping and wilderness survival. He is begging for a good quality hatchet that will last and hold a good edge. Something that he will have for years. Must have a good sheath and a flat backside for tent stake pounding. Price should be a consideration as Grandpa is frugal (cheap). Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fiskers makes nice one. As well as axes Made in Sweden. Stihl has some super nice axes made in Germany
    Avoid the fiskars if you want to use it to pound. They put a bend in the end of the handle that makes it VERY ergonomic to chop wood, but it wants to pull out of your hand if you turn it around and use it like a hammer. The first time I tried it literally pried itself out of my grip because I wasnt expecting it.

Thats the only beef I have with those.

Edit: Its not so much a bend as a birdshead at the end. That pointed tip is GREAT for helping your fingers not slide off the end. But that point will drive past the meat of your palm and try to peel it past your thumb if you dont choke up on the handle about halfway. (so you lose a lot of swing power)

iu

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My vote is Estwing. Razor sharp, solid steel design, and several different sizes. There are some high-end brands out there (Gransfors Bruks), but the Estwing would be perfect for a beginner. They’re sold on Amazon, or at any Lowe’s/Home Depot/etc.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Avoid the fiskars if you want to use it to pound. They put a bend in the end of the handle that makes it VERY ergonomic to chop wood, but it wants to pull out of your hand if you turn it around and use it like a hammer. The first time I tried it literally pried itself out of my grip because I wasnt expecting it.

Thats the only beef I have with those.

Edit: Its not so much a bend as a birdshead at the end. That pointed tip is GREAT for helping your fingers not slide off the end. But that point will drive past the meat of your palm and try to peel it past your thumb if you dont choke up on the handle about halfway. (so you lose a lot of swing power)

iu
    Good point i keep mine in ranger just for small stuff. Never seen extensive use

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Estwing it is. I bought my son one for Christmas years ago and although he abused it it is still going strong. Like the photo in the previous post shows, they are made in the USA. They also very pretty! Get him a made in the USA Buck knife to go with it.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I would go for a council tool belt hatchet, they have better steel than most and USA made. Last I checked they were about 35 bucks sheath will be a bit extra.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you want traditional looking and affordable, the husqvarna hatchet is pretty nice. I've got one and for all practical purposes it'll do anything I need done. Amazon product ASIN B00HC077GQ
    If you want heirloom quality for a bit more that someday he'll pass on to his sons or grandson along with a story of when he was given it then I'd say grandsfors bruks. I've never owned one, but the reputation is solid.

Something else to consider that any young man would love and absolutely get in trouble with, check out H&B Forge medium polled axe camp hawk. I have one and I like it a lot: https://hbforge.com/polled-axes/medium-camp-axe/

I like the estwings as a tool, but they just don't have that feel to them that I like.

Top Bottom