• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, if you have some experience, then go for the semi auto..... if NOT, then opt, for a .38/.357 revolver..... I'm a S&W guy, but Ruger, Taurus, and a few others, are worth looking at .....:twocents:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    See if you can find a range that rent different kinds of guns. Then shoot them all. You can even get some instruction while you do it. If you are up for a drive of about 40 miles north, check out Kodiak Firing Range on the south side of South Bend. It is $10 for gun rental. The guys there can help you out if you would like. Check out thier page.

Firearm Rentals |

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bersa Thunder

:yesway: The Bersa Thunders are a great first handgun. Solid, double action/single Action, decocker, external safety.

I have a Thunder 9. The set up really allows you to modify how you use it or carry as you get more comfortable with the gun. They are a bit beefy though, if you plan to carry. And hard to find holsters for.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I personally like the XDm 3.8 9mm compact, or the XDs 9mm. The XDm compact can use the 13 round mag for carry, and the 19 round for a backup mag or for range/home use.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    For a first handgun...you can't beat a Glock 26, semi-auto, 9mm pistol. It's simple to use and easy to learn with. I would probably recommend the Glock 19 over the Glock 26 for a first handgun, but you can always use the bigger gun's magazines in the smaller, same-caliber Glocks.

If not a Glock...my second recommendation would be a Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm pistol. My wife chose one for our 10th anniversary gift...and she LOVES it!

I would recommend shooting a few different models before spending the $$...to see which one you really like and feels more comfortable.

If not a 9mm pistol...take a look at a Ruger SP101 in .357...you can always shoot .38's through it and I prefer to teach people how to shoot revolvers before they learn how to shoot semi-autos. It's amazing the number of people who start with a semi-auto, who later will tell me they wish they had learned how to shoot with a revolver first.

Good luck!

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    My first handgun was a Springfield 1911 that i bought for myself on my 21st birthday. Of course that was some time ago when ammo was much cheaper and i am not sure i would go the same route today.
    Best way to figure out what is best for you is to go to a range that rents a wide selection and figure it out for yourself.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Of course I am going to say "get a 1911" ;) But seriously a small revolver is not a bad chioce either. I prefer 38spl and above caliber. I have a wide range of pistols. If you are thinking about making a trip up to Kodiac I would be game for bringing a few to let you try. Anyone game for a meet up at Kodiac some time this week?

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    9 mm or a 38 are both good choices. 38 revolver was my first handgun and no regrets. In most cases it does not stop at just one so good luck.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For a first handgun...you can't beat a Glock 26, semi-auto, 9mm pistol. It's simple to use and easy to learn with. I would probably recommend the Glock 19 over the Glock 26 for a first handgun, but you can always use the bigger gun's magazines in the smaller, same-caliber Glocks.

If not a Glock...my second recommendation would be a Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm pistol. My wife chose one for our 10th anniversary gift...and she LOVES it!

I would recommend shooting a few different models before spending the $$...to see which one you really like and feels more comfortable.

If not a 9mm pistol...take a look at a Ruger SP101 in .357...you can always shoot .38's through it and I prefer to teach people how to shoot revolvers before they learn how to shoot semi-autos. It's amazing the number of people who start with a semi-auto, who later will tell me they wish they had learned how to shoot with a revolver first.

Good luck!

Good summary. My first was a G26. It was a good weapon, but I found better performance with a Taurus 709 and 24/7 Pro (gen 1). Good options, too.

Leave the SP101 alone, though. The long trigger pull is the enemy of accuracy. If you do a trigger job on it, OK; but the stock trigger is so long and hard that one loses concentration waiting for it to hit the release point. For a rookie, leave it alone. Excellent gun otherwise; just a lousy trigger.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    Read some of the threads mentioned previously, then find a well armed buddy and go to a range with plenty of rentals available. Tell the range attendant what you are doing and that you are new to guns. After you shoot as many styles of guns as you can get your hands on, read reviews.

I've owned 8 or so handguns, and for me the kahr pm9 is a great fit for a daily carry gun.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I suggest taking the NRA Basic Pistol Course. This will give you experience in the safe handling, cleaning, and operation of the various types of handguns you mentioned. This should help you decide what you like as well as give you the solid foundation to be safe and responsible with them.

I'm most interested in subcompact, smaller 9 mm, although open to most.

have been impressed by holding/firing: 1. xd sub, 2. kahr pm9, 3. sig p6

any info for a newby would be great! thanks in advance

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My first pistol was a ruger mark II and I can highly recomber it as a greAt first pistol. Back then bricks of ammo were 20 or less and that pistol was and still is very accurate.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I'm no expert but my first two were:

Rugar SR9 - This was my first gun. I still love it.

XDs 9mm - This is what I currently conceal carry. Yes, despite the recall. I know what the issue is with the recall and the gun is 100% safe unless you are 100% stupid. Again, love this gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom