• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    hello all i know this question might have been asked befour but i know that lots of people love glocks and that police use glocks and other agences, what i want to know is why 'glock" is it just a name or performance? for example a glock 9m vs beretta 9m which would you choose and why? the beretta is used by our military the glock used by police. can anybody explain this love of glocks? thanks~burt

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The things I would have listed apply to gen 2 and gen 3 guns Austrian made guns. I don't know if current production Glocks made in the USA are of the same quality as the Austrian models.

So lets see if in the aswers you get anyone differentiates between US made and Austrian models.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Glock's are boringly reliable. Just about infinitely customizable. Aftermarket parts/holsters/magazines are numerous and very available. And they give LEO depts huge discounts for their "bulk" orders.

Beretta's have "limited" customization abilities. Grips, sights, and a trigger job are about what I can think of.

I chose a glock 19 for a EDC. My stepdad has it now, and I now carry a g26. I REALLY miss the feel of the g19 though, too bad he's using it for a security gig until they provide him with a g22.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    im a fan of its reputed quality. quality means a lot to me, and i'll pay a premium for it.
    a couple features really appeal to me, namely no external safeties, double stack mags, and quite frankly a full-size glock fits my hand better than any other handgun.

of the various ones i currently own i probably have 10k rounds down the pipe, collectively, and have had zero failures, not counting **** KCI mags (won't buy them again) and a few dud reloads.

if i remember right, certain features of the glock were undesirable by our military.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Glocks are very simple, in terms of firearms. Using very few parts makes them extremely reliable and user friendly. They are virtually indestructible and will provide many years of service with minimal care, the "AK 47" of the handgun world. The main gripe that people have is the grip angle. It is a little wider than most pistols, but can be easily overcome by locking down the wrists (which made me more accurate anyway).

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    so people love glocks so they can customize them?
    Yes. That's only thing anyone said. :facepalm:

I'd add that they have benefitted snowball effect. Once something's been adopted by militaries and government agencies, it tends to popularize just because of its visibility and availability.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    so people love glocks so they can customize them? @ double T

Amongst many other reasons that others have mentioned. I wanted reliable first. Double stack second. Highly available array of night sights third. Customization was an afterthought for me, BUT I don't have to be an armorer or smith to fix any single thing on my glock.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    For me, it was when I wanted a new carry gun, no safety to switch on/off, no exposed hammer, double stack .45 of at least 10 rounds, dead set reliable and accurate. At the time a Glock was all I could think off, and god forgive me, I hated the look of them. With that said it is the best handgun I have ever owned or fired and I own or have owed and fired hundreds of different handguns in my life. It is one of my never sell guns and will own it for life. I now own 15 handguns and only one is a glock, but it is my go to handgun if I had to pick only one of my handguns to go to a gunfight with.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Simplicity. There may be others that are better in some respect, but the Glock is a simple gun, that works. At least in my case that is a major reason for sticking with Glock. Would I like to see them innovate more... certainly. But the draw for me is that the gun is simple, parts are readily available as are holsters. Magazines can be shared among various models and are cheap. The gun can take a beating, and keep on working, and when it does wear or break a part, I can get one almost anywhere.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    hello all i know this question might have been asked befour but i know that lots of people love glocks and that police use glocks and other agences, what i want to know is why 'glock" is it just a name or performance? for example a glock 9m vs beretta 9m which would you choose and why? the beretta is used by our military the glock used by police. can anybody explain this love of glocks? thanks~burt

With a reasonable (500rds+) experience with each in 9mm, I would choose the Glock for these reasons:
    -- MUCH lighter weight
    -- Better (for my hands) ergos.
    -- Simplicity (no external "safety" and similar claptrap).
    They're both good guns of good quality. I have no experience with American-made Glocks (other than perhaps my Gen 4 G22, if that was MIUSA-- it was flawlessly reliable in the 200 rds I shot it before selling to go 10mm).

As for explaining the love of Glocks, others have mostly covered that. I happen to really like them, but I'm no fanboy and I'd certainly find things about other guns to recommend. Perfection? Hardly! But still pretty doggone good.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    LOVE shooting a 1911 just somethg about it in 45. however I protect me and my family with a Glock.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    ok so its not just glock a name is great, the gun is reliable, easy to use and parts are easy to chance or replace and a few other reasons,

That pretty much sums it up. Simplicity and reliability. Parts are cheap but they seldom need anything. Like a couple of other guys that posted I've decided that the 17 fits my hand just a little better than a 19 so that's my normal carry. I just acquired a WELL used 34 that appears to have had tens of thousands of rounds through it and it's the smoothest Glock that I've ever owned. Pics tell the story but this boy has been over the road and still will still cut a ragged hole with Wolf ammo. Accuracy and durability is why they are revered by many, it's certainly not for their beauty. :) (Notice the wear on the hood of the barrel and where it moves through the slide)

PS.... I'll be doing the free Glock inspections again next Saturday at USDS if anyone is interested.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I guess Glocks are reliable, but who has determined that and how? The average shooter doesn't train with their guns or even put very many rounds down the pipe, so it's all about marketing. Put the guns in the hands of police departments and government agencies by making them affordable and there is a story to sell the public.

As for aftermarket parts, yeah, there are certainly a lot of options out there for the Glock. There were three booths set up at the last 1500 and they ONLY serviced Glocks! They have sights, triggers, beaver tails, butt plugs, mag wells, etc.

I believe when you really get to the bottom line, it's because everyone else has one.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I guess Glocks are reliable, but who has determined that and how? The average shooter doesn't train with their guns or even put very many rounds down the pipe, so it's all about marketing. Put the guns in the hands of police departments and government agencies by making them affordable and there is a story to sell the public.

As for aftermarket parts, yeah, there are certainly a lot of options out there for the Glock. There were three booths set up at the last 1500 and they ONLY serviced Glocks! They have sights, triggers, beaver tails, butt plugs, mag wells, etc.

I believe when you really get to the bottom line, it's because everyone else has one.

I would submit that history had determined their reliability. I was told (in the Glock armorer class) that there were 2 G-17s in the museum in Austria that had documented 750,000 rounds through them with nothing but spring changes. M&Ps and XDs may very well be just as reliable but they haven't been around as long so they don't have the same track record.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduateCertified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor1911 Mechanic

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    In 1988, I made the decision to transition from a 6 shot .357 with 2 speedloaders to a G17 with 20 rounds in the gun, plus 2- 17 rnd magazines carried as backup. At the time, the longevity and reliability of the gun were unknown. 25 years, 40K rounds later, I still own that original G17, plus other Glocks. The gun is just that reliable. And the gun still shoots great and looks like new. I've had to replace that trigger spring a couple of times over the years, and I have installed Novak sights, as the original plastic rear adj. sight fell off.

Top Bottom