• ...and so much more!
  • LittleNicky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    bloomington
    Hi,

I am looking for a handgun for concealed carry, range use and home defense. This would be my first handgun, although I grew up with my dad showing me the basic on how to shoot firearms. Anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking something like a Glock 23 (40) or Glock 21 (45). Any websites that track good gun deals out there?

Last edited:

SafetyOff2A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2013
    Noble County
    Make sure to handle multiple firearms from multiple manufacturers to get a feel of what you're after.
    Rent some from a shop and see how they shoot.
    Have fun with it!

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    G19 is a pretty safe bet in my opinion. For me an EDC weapon is something you need to be able to practice with alot. I am on a budget and 9mm is cheap enough to practice with!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hi,

I am looking for a handgun for concealed carry, range use and home defense. This would be my first handgun, although I grew up with my dad showing me the basic on how to shoot firearms. Anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking something like a Glock 23 (40) or Glock 21 (45). Any websites that track good gun deals out there?

Don't forget, S&W M&P. and Springfield XD, and others..... Don't LIMIT yourself on the first one ..... Choose carefully .....

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    shoot the glocks,xdm3.8 compact,xds,m&p's(shield if u want that size. Think about why you THINK you want a certain caliber. I started with.40 And went to 9. No regrets. Ammo is also cheaper and usually more available. Although I will be getting a 1911in .45.. Happy shooting and buying!

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I got rid of my Glock 19 and got the Walter 9mm in my opinion a far superior gun. The main problem with the Walter getting extra mags a lot more difficult. The thing I like the best is the trigger and the reset. Also the 9 and 40 are almost the same except for the wt. and if you have a 15+2 mag in it weights the same by feel.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    You are going to get a lot of recommendations and people stating their opinions on here.

You have the following groups...

Glock Fans
    XD Fans(Springfield)
    M&P Fans(Smith and Wesson)
    Composite gun Fans(all of the above are composite guns)
    1911 Fans
    etc

What someone said above is handling and shooting all the guns you can would be a good idea. Bradi's is a site sponsor and they have a large selection to choose from to look at. They are up north of you towards Indy but don't have a range there that I'm aware of. Atterbury Gun Range in the Columbus Area rents guns but has very limited selection.

Something to be careful of is it would be ideal to shoot many different sizes and shoot the same size of each different brand to get a feel..but that will be tough to get all in one place.

What I mean by different size is frame size. There are Sub Compacts(Shield), Compact, Midsize(??), and Full Size. The lower 2 or 3 is what one might carry although I'm sure some carry full sizes in open carry or in certain situations.

Good Luck...if you come over to Atterbury I could meet up with you one Saturday and you could shoot a .45(1911) and 3 different size 9's(XD/MP/Sig)...but I don't have any other variety.

Welcome by the way!

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Handle as many as possible. You'll know when you hold something that simply feels right. Renting is a viable option as well. Indy Trading Post has a large number of handguns to rent as well as a range. Good luck with your purchase!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Welcome to :ingo:. It's very common for someone just getting into carry to buy the first gun that feels right in their hand. I suggest you be patient enough to actually shoot as wide a variety of makes and models as possible. If you limit yourself to only those guns that are commonly found everywhere you might be missing out. Also, what someone else loves may not be right for you. I recommend getting some training so you are sure you are shooting correctly. Then make as many friends on here as you can and ask to shoot any guns you are not familiar with. Most people on here don't have a problem letting someone shoot their guns. The more information you have before you make your first purchase the less likely you are to have a gun for sale here in a couple of weeks. Don't forget CZ.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The next Indy1500 gun show is coming up in August and that would be an excellent place to shop for a handgun.
    Every kind of handgun you can imagine will be there in all sizes and calibers for you to touch & feel.

PS... don't tell anybody I said this... the Glock 19 is probably the best for you... shhhh! :p

Fredo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    In A Yellow Submarin
    I agree. try out many makers and different styles of handguns. i suggest joining a range somewhere and visiting frequently. Most people there just love to show their guns and talk about them. Learn from others. I highly recommend you also take both a basic pistol course and some advanced tactical training. You should also learn about the judicious use of deadly force. P.S. The time to make the decision (can I actually shoot someone) is not when you first take it from the holster. That mental decision should already be made.

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    welcome , you can't go wrong with a glock or a smith & wesson M&P. They both are great guns with plenty of accessories available.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    If your wanting a site to track gun deals, I would check out slickguns.com. For a good all around gun I like the Ruger SP101 snub nose but I also like revolvers

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The Glock 19 was my first gun. I picked it because it is reliable, durable, easy to use and handle, and uses 9mm ammunition. 9mm is great for those starting out. Plus it's good for carry, you can hold more rounds, so when SHTF you don't have to worry about missing and reloading as much as you would with a .40.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    G19 is a pretty safe bet in my opinion. For me an EDC weapon is something you need to be able to practice with alot. I am on a budget and 9mm is cheap enough to practice with!

Sorry to repeat this, but you'll hear a G19 recommended a lot for good reason. It's as close to the one-pistol-for-everything as humankind has produced yet.

YMMV.

Top Bottom