• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I can NOT get the pins out of the A2 front post sight on my AR. After I bent several of my punches, I took it to USDS. After bending several of their punches it was apparent I needed some extra attention. I tried lube. I tried heat. Any shops or smiths that can press them out?!

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    I know this is not what you're asking for exaclty but i had a LOT of trouble getting mine out too. so a friend and i put our heads together...

granted i did not have any of the spcialized bench blocks for this, so i made due with what i had...

I used a socket from a socket set. put it on a concrete floor. a buddy held the barrel while i lined up the sight post on the socket with the pin over the center of the socket somewhere. i then used the appropriate punch (can't remember what size) and i cut it down. i had previously bent it trying to drive out the pins so it was ruined anyway. i cut the punch down to maybe 1/4"-1/2" long. then i lined everything up and tapped the punch with a 8lb sledge. i know that sounds crazy but think about it, you can tap it with a slow easy hit with a very heavy sledge, rather than trying to smack the crap out of it with a 12oz hammer. remember, use an easy controlled swing holding the sledge just a few inches from the heavy end with one hand. just give it a good tap and let the weight of the sledge do all the work.

So you have a concrete floor, steel socket, short punch. nothing can "give".

When i did this, it took one (that's right) one hit per pin. no damage to the barrel or sight.

i asked my local shop about this while i was still trying the "beat the crap out of it" method. he didnt say anything. he just reached over and pulled out an AR with the top of the front sight cut off with a hack saw then said, this is how hard it is to get the pins out.

adam

Last edited:
    Top Bottom