Need shooting range/club recommendations!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    For starters, I need a range/club where I can shoot pistol, shotgun, and rifle up to .308. I live in Indianapolis and would like to stay within 1hr-1.5hr. I would like the range to have 10yd-100yd+ distance. My intentions are to get into competitions and matches such as 3 gun/multigun. It would be awesome if they had/allowed steel targets. I have a list of a couple that I have found and recently learned that there are Indiana State Parks(Wilbur Wright, Brookville, Crosely, etc.) that have ranges for free. I would just like your opinions or personal experiences on the ranges mentioned. Or I would appreciate a recommendation to something that fits my criteria.

Clubs:
    Atlanta Conservation Club
    Atlanta Conservation Club

Hillside Shooting Sports
    Hillside Shooting Sports - Welcome to Hillside Shooting Sports

Wildcat Valley
    Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club

Elwood Conservation Club
    ECC Grounds
    Thanks for the help!!

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have been a member of elwood cc for 5 years now and am very happy with it. The people there have always been friendly and it isn't crowded. The fees are minimal compared to other clubs and they don't require you to attend a or many monthly meetings before giving you a membership.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    ive seen quite a few people using steel there. they have shooting benches (left and right hand) at all the rifle ranges 25 50 75 and 100 yards. they have picnic tables and ledges at the firing line at the pistol 10 yd range. they have an open "tactical training" range. Its clean and I enjoy it. The website posted above has quite a bit of info about it.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Great thread. I've been interested in doing the same, but haven't fully researched it yet. ECC sounds like a perfect fit for me (about an hour away), and only 30 from work.

Indoor ranges are convenient, but I much prefer outdoor ranges. I don't have anything private currently available to me.

Quick question, is a current member required to sponsor? I saw it on the application, so I was curious.

Tagged to see where this goes.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    ECC: It looks like steel targets are allowed. There is a tactical 3 gun area. One question do you get a key or is there a keypad?

Anyone have experience or member at any of the others? Any experience with the Indiana State DNR ranges?

Sidenote: I really enjoy Beech Grove, but I am looking to hone skills for 3 gun. Kind of sick of shooting paper standing still.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    ECC: It looks like steel targets are allowed. There is a tactical 3 gun area. One question do you get a key or is there a keypad?

Anyone have experience or member at any of the others? Any experience with the Indiana State DNR ranges?

Sidenote: I really enjoy Beech Grove, but I am looking to hone skills for 3 gun. Kind of sick of shooting paper standing still.

Its just open, you sign in and out. also other members can ask to see your membership card at any time. It is opened 365 days from 8am till sunset.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio

Indiana DNR ranges are okay. The only ones I go to are Atterbury (I think this is DNR) and Willow Slough.

Atterbury is nice, but paper only. This is where I typically shoot outdoors.

Willow Slough is a bit of a mess, but it's free. Also, it's been really crowded the times I have gone. If I lived closer and visited more often, I'd look into potentially volunteering to help clean it up.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    Atlanta CC requires a membership but the fees are pretty reasonable. It's an outdoor range and they currently have 8 bays. Most bays are about 20-25 yds, but there is one bay that you can squeeze 35 yds diagonally. Steel targets are allowed, but need to be inspected prior to use. And there's a steel plate rack.
    Check the website: atlantacc.net
    They have a number of matches routinely scheduled that are open to the public (ex: 1st Sat each month is IDPA).

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have shot at Atterbury and Wilbur Wright as far as DNR ranges go. I like Atterbury as it has a variety in one place - pistol, rifle, and trap/skeet. It is $7/hr., but it is run safely. You can rent guns and they have a full shop with ammo, targets, etc.

Wilbur Wright is ok, not as large as Atterbury - nor as organized. I don't feel very safe there when it is crowded. It is free.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    I've been a member at ECC for about a year now and couldn't be happier. For the money it gets the job done, just wish it was 15 min away instead of 30.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I been a member at ECC for over ten years and have been very happy, the one thing you should know is that is not the most sophisticated of shooting ranges but more than makes up for with how much fun you can have with the least amount of money. The most fun I have is shooting steel with my .22's and now the pistol range, for the most part everyone has been nice and like others say most of the time is not busy.

Top Bottom