• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Didn’t know if this question belongs here in the accessories forum. Like the dummy that I am I misplaced my trusty SureFire Defender while jumping my kids car. Pretty sure I laid it down in the dark. It’s fine, it was 12 years old, it led a very full life. Please feel sad for my lose but know that I pocketed my trusty LX2 and soldiered on. However, since I am now without a spare light I need to buy another.

SureFire Tactician or the EDCL2???? I have not handled either light. The EDC seems most like the LX2 which is not bad. But I like what I seen with tactician. The non-practical side of me says I need both to play with and review, but the not want Mrs.VERT to cut off my manhood says nada to that idea. Any first world practical feedback?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have both. I prefer the tactician due to the size and switch. The EDCL2 is brighter, and a longer throw. But I still prefer the tactician.

Jericho941Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2019
    Boone County
    I'm sure the Tactician and EDCL2 are more feature rich, but I've been carrying the Surefire/Haley Strategic D3FT lately and really like the utility of it and how easy it is to carry.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm sure the Tactician and EDCL2 are more feature rich, but I've been carrying the Surefire/Haley Strategic D3FT lately and really like the utility of it and how easy it is to carry.

Nice feedback. I appreciate it, really do. But I really don’t shoot with a light using a cigar type of grip. Plus I am wanting something a bit longer that I could strike wit if necessary.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I have used the EDCL2T with the Thyrm ring since they became available. This combination was the solution that I had wanted for years. I like that the EDC light is controlled by the tail cap only. Light push low power hard push full power. From what I just read you rotate the bezel on the Tactician light. Can you guarantee that it will always be in the mode you NEED it to be in when you push the switch? Sorry Mr. Badguy let me adjust my flashlight first.....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have used the EDCL2T with the Thyrm ring since they became available. This combination was the solution that I had wanted for years. I like that the EDC light is controlled by the tail cap only. Light push low power hard push full power. From what I just read you rotate the bezel on the Tactician light. Can you guarantee that it will always be in the mode you NEED it to be in when you push the switch? Sorry Mr. Badguy let me adjust my flashlight first.....

Yeah my LX2 has the same type of tail cap and the EDCL2T. I don't have any problem with it, in fact I like it a lot better then the clicky cap on my defender. What I can see with the EDCL2T is that it is long, has the same clip that is going to break as my LX2, and has a very pronounced bright spot and long throw of the light. This might be good or might be bad.

The Tactician is shorter, but is it too short. The clip looks sturdier but orients the bezel up which is the wrong direction. Not sure about the twist bezel because I have no experience. The throw of the light looks good for most things but will I miss the nice bright center at longer distances. I do like the looks of lanyard which is similar to how I currently carry my light. Oh decisions, decisions.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

You rotate the bezel for constant on. Switch it for momentary on, which is what I want.

It actually works the same as the EDCL2t, minus the gas pedal switch.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yeah my LX2 has the same type of tail cap and the EDCL2T. I don't have any problem with it, in fact I like it a lot better then the clicky cap on my defender. What I can see with the EDCL2T is that it is long, has the same clip that is going to break as my LX2, and has a very pronounced bright spot and long throw of the light. This might be good or might be bad.

The Tactician is shorter, but is it too short. The clip looks sturdier but orients the bezel up which is the wrong direction. Not sure about the twist bezel because I have no experience. The throw of the light looks good for most things but will I miss the nice bright center at longer distances. I do like the looks of lanyard which is similar to how I currently carry my light. Oh decisions, decisions.

I like bezel up. I carry my light in my back pocket. And when I grab the light, it’s in the right position for lighting or striking.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like bezel up. I carry my light in my back pocket. And when I grab the light, it’s in the right position for lighting or striking.

Is the light big/long enough for striking? Looks like it is shorter then the LX2, while the EDC is longer then the LX2.

what I want is a Heavy clip Bezel down 500 lumen LX2 with the gas peddle and lanyard. Ha ha ha. But seriously I think either of the lights mentioned would work fine. I am leaning towards the Tactician because the EDC looks large to pack around. My preferred vendor is out of stock for the Tactician right now though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is the light big/long enough for striking? Looks like it is shorter then the LX2, while the EDC is longer then the LX2.

what I want is a Heavy clip Bezel down 500 lumen LX2 with the gas peddle and lanyard. Ha ha ha. But seriously I think either of the lights mentioned would work fine. I am leaning towards the Tactician because the EDC looks large to pack around. My preferred vendor is out of stock for the Tactician right now though.

Yep. And the Tactician is the light that James Yeager worked with Surefire to make.
    4eBiF5D.jpg

Don’t get me wrong, I like the EDC light. But I prefer the smaller size of the Tactician for EDC, and I like the switch better. Although I also like the gas pedal switch a lot.

Yeah. You should just plan to get both.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    LoveMachine I can’t rep you. Somebody else hit this guy up please! That is exactly the picture I have been trying to find. I am going to go with the Tactician. And I agree I should buy both.

Top Bottom