• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Recoil

My wife and I have gotten back into firearms after a long hiatus. She's never had much experience with handguns, but I have, and it's been a bit of an experience. I can handle just about anything recoil-wise, and it just doesn't really bother me. However, upon handing her my Kahr CM9, we found out in a hurry that recoil DOES bother her, in a pretty big way. Admittedly, I know the CM9 is going to move around more than a full-size, but I thought a 9mm loaded with standard-pressure rounds wouldn't be too much for her. WRONG!

So, needing some help! I've got NO experience with the SR9 series, but looking at all the forums and reviews I can find, looks like they may be the ticket. However, I'm concerned not just with recoil, but also the strength of the recoil springs - she can't grip the CM9 and rack the slide AT all. So, given our two other Rugers in the household (10/22, SR22), I thought I'd look into something with some similar blood in it, as it were.

I know the SR9C has a dual-spring recoil spring setup like my Kahr. Is it any harder to rack than, say, the full-size SR9? Or is there a better choice available in a low-recoiling, easy to rack the slide, but still concealable 9mm? Any lady shooters out there, or anyone who is sharing their gun with one, who can help?

Thanks for all the forthcoming posts!!!

I have owned glocks, sr9c's, sd9 40, fnp 9 and 40, sigma, 24/7's, p95, M&P and stayed. I have flexor tendon problems so I like (must have) a softer shooting gun. The FS M&P fits the bill better than most. It is also one of the most accurate of the above mentioned. The XD 9 is also a very accurate gun but the recoill is a little stiffer than I like. Hope this helps, if not just my :twocents:

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I also owned a CZ 75, would probably still have it but couldn't get parts for the old gun (1979) I hear the newer "B" models are as good with little recoil.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    G17 for a full size gun or a G19 for smaller hands. My wife loves her G19 and I carry my G19 daily.

dljx3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    226 or maybe a different caliber?

I recently got a Sig p226 in 9MM and I may need ot get another as I can't seem to get it out of my wife's hands. It is a full sized gun, so concelment is an issue. Have you considered other calibers? We have a Sig P232 in 380. It is way too hard to rack for my wife and has a far bigger kick than the 226. It is almost totally about the weight/power ratio for recoil in handguns. How about .32 or even .22? You can find some real tack drivers out there and a well placed shot is far better than one that whizzing by...

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    The difference in felt recoil between semi auto's of similar weights and sizes is not likely to be all that significant (IMO), and I am not sure I could recommend choosing a handgun based on that. I would recommend looking at a quality handgun that fits her hand and points naturally for her. Then go to the range and shoot, shoot, shoot. I suspect that the shock of the recoild will effect her less after a few hundred rounds. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I second on the Browning Hi Power. If your wife has small hands, the high Power grip would be comfy for her. If you think she could rack the slide back to load a round, go for it. Great gun and very accurate.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Hmm... I probably would have went a different route for the money. Anyway, I actually took my wife to the range today. Her back story is she was born and raised in Illinois and today marked only the second time she has fired a gun. I know my bad lol. Anyway we took my full size M&P 40 and my TCP 380. Long story short after 20 rounds through the TCP I had her try the 40. Not only did she manage the recoil, but she straight shot lasers at the target. We ended up walking out with new M&P 40 compact on layaway.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Hmm... I probably would have went a different route for the money. Anyway, I actually took my wife to the range today. Her back story is she was born and raised in Illinois and today marked only the second time she has fired a gun. I know my bad lol. Anyway we took my full size M&P 40 and my TCP 380. Long story short after 20 rounds through the TCP I had her try the 40. Not only did she manage the recoil, but she straight shot lasers at the target. We ended up walking out with new M&P 40 compact on layaway.

If the shoe fits wear it! Thats the way to do it... Try it... see what she likes. Only cuz I have seen so many INGO women post threads about this. I assume it is good advice, because, well, My wife is a woman, and she is ALWAYS right! :)
    Notice NO PURPLE

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I'm pretty recoil sensitive. I *can* shoot .45, but I don't find it very fun. My favorite 9mm to shoot is a Glock 19. It's the right mix of small enough to manage easily and fit my hand, but not so small that its so light it's jumping around on me.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Put about 200 rounds through it yesterday. Felt recoil VERY low - just the ticket! She can manipulate all the controls and slide without issue. Looks like it's going to work out fine. Thanks for all the help, folks!

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    My wife loves her M&P9c. She tried several other brands, but the 9c was the easiest for her to work the slide. The recoil is also very managable.

Top Bottom