• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I am looking to get an alarm for my house. Ive read the reviews on ADT, Brinks and a few other national chains. Needless to say, I wont be going with them. I am more interested in a local company. Koorsen Fire& Security comes to mind. One national chain that has had great reviews is Sonitrol. Let me know what has worked for you guys before I make this step.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Installed a system myself. Less than half the cost. Monitoring $9 / month (and my homeowners insurance discount was $36, thus paying for 4 months annually). Burglary and fire detection. I'm very satisfied with it.

Purchased through these guys:
    Wireless Home Security with DIY Burglar Alarms - Free Shipping!

Remember, an alarm system is just one layer of protection (dogs, lights, cameras, locks, etc). No one layer is enough. All layers can be defeated. You're buying time, making your property less attractive to would be perps, and putting things in place to notify yourself if something's amiss.

Then new systems are pretty cool in the features they have.

Last edited:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Installed a system myself. Less than half the cost. Monitoring $9 / month (and my homeowners insurance discount was $36, thus paying for 4 months annually). Burglary and fire detection. I'm very satisfied with it.

Purchased through these guys:
    Wireless Home Security with DIY Burglar Alarms - Free Shipping!

Remember, an alarm system is just one layer of protection (dogs, lights, cameras, locks, etc). No one layer is enough. All layers can be defeated. You're buying time, making your property less attractive to would be perps, and putting things in place to notify yourself if something's amiss.

Then new systems are pretty cool in the features they have.

I am working on layering my protection. At the very least I need an alarm with monitoring service. I like the ones that have a 2 way transmitter in case the phone line is cut. i also see some systems that can use your cell if your land line disabled.
    Ive got the lights, dogs, longer screws in the door and the angry heavily armed wife covered.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have a friend at work that has used the system from the local REMC and is really happy with it. He has had a couple of times when it has gone off, once when a bird got into his basement and once when he was changing batteries in it and both times their response times were very good. Had a neighbor that was an installer for them and he told me once that all of the big companies, ADT, Brinks, etc. use the same box. He had even switched customers from one company to another and used all of the same hardware.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    My only issue is that in Avon, I have to get an alarm permit and will be fined for false alarms. i am going to call koorsens and JC alarm company tomorow.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Many locales have ordinances that a system may NOT call 911 directly, but have to go through some kind of human first, such as a monitoring service.

Others will fine for false alarms, maybe giving you 1 or 2 depending your locality. Some disregard weather-induced false alarms.

It's good that you checked! Lots of folks forget that I think.

Curious: Does Avon charge for the "permit"?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    That's a bummer. BTW, what Mr. Habib says is pretty much true - they all use substantially the same hardware; Honeywell, GE, etc.

There are also at least a couple of national, UL listed monitoring companies that monitor virtually all the main types of systems - substantially cheaper, for example, than ADT. The one I use has four call centers across the US (NJ, FL, MN, and CA).

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Since I am immune to all Rattlesnake venom, I turn my snakes loose in my downstairs when I turn in for the night, close off the upstairs and gather them up in the morning. Ever had a ten pound six foot rattler after you? Believe me they are fast moving.

A sign is on the door, so it is not like people are not warned before they break in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I'm looking into getting a system installed for my parents who live in NW Indiana. The McClenden murders have made a lot of seniors look into these kind of systems but all you hear about in ADT. Any one have any suggestions for companies in the Region?

Bart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Seymour
    I highly recommend Myers Protection Services out of Greenwood. Their system can use a cellular backup so that it will work when the power is out and the phone lines are cut or not working. They monitor for fire, sump pump, and intruders. I have not had any problems with them and their service and employees are top notch. If you call them, ask for Pat Myers. He was very helpful to me. Their web site is http://www.alarmsystems.cc/

Top Bottom