• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    So been researching to buy my first AR, can't stand missing all the 3 gun, 2 gun and Honor Flt opportunities. Not ready for a full build so need some advice on buying a budget rifle or buying an upper & lower. Budget is very limited but I figured get cheaper gun and play sooner instead of waiting for the greatest gun ever and not getting to play.

I have found an ATI OMNI for 459.00 at Rural King but have seen really mixed reviews.

Alternative is PSA lower on sale right now for 170. PSA AR-15 Complete Classic Enhanced Lower BLEM - 505511

with PSA upper 199.00. Blem PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1/8 Stainless Steel Freedom Upper - No BCG or Charging Handle.

With Davidson Defense BCG and Chargng handle for a total 99. https://www.deltateamtactical.com/A...te-Nitride-bolt-carrier-group-BCG_p_4190.html

I have never built an AR so do these parts give me a complete working weapon?

Any and all help and advice welcome. Not much more budget available so don't worry about giving me all the premium parts guys.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've had good luck with PSA. They have a bcg / CH for the same price as your other place. Might as well save the separate shipping charge and get it all from the same place.

You will need a rear sight and a mag. I think you have everything else. You will pay a small transfer fee to a local ffl when buying a lower from the internet.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Hop is giving you some sound advice. The PSA equipment you're considering will make a very nice rifle.

Here's a list of the remaining items from that you'll need ... I kept this list from PSA for your one stop shopping experience.

BCG / CH - PSA 5.56 Premium HPT/MPI Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group with Charging Handle

Rear Sight - PSA Aluminum Flip Up Rear Sight - 38183 or Magpul MBUS Back-Up Sight GEN 2 - Rear - MAG248

Magazines - Magpul PMAG 30rd 5.56x45 Magazine | Palmetto State Armory

Ammo - American Eagle 223 55gr FMJ BT Ammunition 20rds - AE223F

A sling would also be nice, but that's a very personal item ... I use a GI style web sling on all my rifles.

After you assemble all that, you're GTG ... maybe not in time to attend the Revere's Riders Carbine Clinic with your new rifle (Upcoming Events ? Carbine: America?s Rifle Challenge (Bedford, IN) ? Revere's Riders) ... that will depend largely upon shipping.

However, keep your eyes on the RR schedule. The 2017 calendar is being developed as I type this. Attend one of our events, and we'll help you learn how to run that rifle at peak performance.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Thank you for all the help guys. I am going to make the jump but due to budget I am going to have to buy the lower now and the upper later. Very interested in the training opportunity down the road. I will put my money in ammo and training any day over more expensive rifle parts.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Follow up question since I have been digging around and learning more but still don't know much. What parts do I have to change on an AR15 to go from 5.56 to 9mm. Do I have to change anything on a standard lower or just on the upper? I know the barrel of course but do I need a whole new upper or just certain parts? Do you just buy magazines adapted for 9mm or do you need a different magazine well. Thanks for schooling me!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Follow up question since I have been digging around and learning more but still don't know much. What parts do I have to change on an AR15 to go from 5.56 to 9mm. Do I have to change anything on a standard lower or just on the upper? I know the barrel of course but do I need a whole new upper or just certain parts? Do you just buy magazines adapted for 9mm or do you need a different magazine well. Thanks for schooling me!

The lower will need a magazine block with ejector. IIRC, the 9mm is a blow back design so you will need a complete upper.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So been researching to buy my first AR, can't stand missing all the 3 gun, 2 gun and Honor Flt opportunities. Not ready for a full build so need some advice on buying a budget rifle or buying an upper & lower. Budget is very limited but I figured get cheaper gun and play sooner instead of waiting for the greatest gun ever and not getting to play.

For gun games...

you NEED a free float barrel, the longer the handguards the better, imo. I watched some poor fella waste half a mag a couple weeks ago on some 200 yd flash targets with his barrel resting on a prop... got hits as soon as he realized it and put the free-float HGs on the prop.

You don't need backup irons. You can shoot irons only if you want. otherwide, a decent optic, like a dot or the vortex 1-6 for ~$300 in a decent mount and you're good to go.

fancy stocks are just user preference... My 3G rifle has a basic GI A2 stock. cheap. works. I prefer it actually.

a decent trigger is worth some money.

A good comp helps too, and can be inexpensive (e.g. the Miculek).

lowers/uppers, who cares. BCGs don't matter unless you go all-out for low-mass stuff, like JP.

:twocents:

-rvb

Last edited:

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    So dumb question, how do I tell if it's a free float barrel. Do I just assume if it doesn't say it is free floated that it isn't?

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    free float handguards only touch the gun at the barrel nut. there's nothing touching the front of the barrel (so the barrel 'floats' inside). basic m16/m4 style handguards are not FF. Most handguards/uppers will mention free float in the description. you can get good ones such as a Nordic tube for <$100, you don't need something crazy expensive. I like the JP tube, which is a little more expensive. Most have proprietary barrel nuts.

if you're just wanting to buy something already assembled from psa, something like this would work:
    PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Stainless Stealth Freedom M-lok Upper - No BCG or CH
    swap out the A2 flash hider for one of these and you've got a gaming upper for ~$350...
    AR-15 MICULEK COMPENSATOR 22 CALIBER | Brownells

yes, that's ~$150 more than where you were starting, but that way you aren't looking to upgrade after your first couple matches.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

lower: magazine block, maybe different hammer depending on what you use for your 223, probably heavier buffer, too.
    upper: different barrel and bolt.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Still waiting for my lower to arrive from PSA. In the mean time have been reading about .223 Wylde chambers. Any reason I shouldn't go for this chamber over a 5.56 in my upper. From my research I am leaning hard toward a mid length or even a rifle length gas system over the carbine length. Agree or disagree with me and tell me your reasons. Thanks for all the help guys.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    The 223 wylde can shot either 223 or 5.56 and is supposed to be more accurate than a 5.56 . So no reason not to use it, only benefit [JM2C] Go with mid-lenght gas on a 14.5-16" barrel and rifle on 18" plus .
    Do some research on " dwell time ". Google is your friend

Top Bottom