• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Setting up a new station - 2 presses side by side. Any suggestions for counter top material, construction, etc. ? Or even a pre-built solution I might consider. Building plans, tips, counter height, depth, etc... ? Looking for something more finished than a garage or basement type setup as this is going in the spare bedroom and need to keep the wife happy.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I built mine out of double thickness 3/4" plywood. Glued and screwed together. Found a laminate I liked and built a nice square front counter top. Laminating is quite easy.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I used a nice heavy piece of 3/4 plywood, and then put a top on it with some of the 1/4" "hardboard" with the slick side up. That gives it a nicer finish, and can be replaced down the road. May still not be nice enough for a spare bedroom, but still better than just a plane piece of particle board. I built the rest of the bench from 2x4's, including 2x4 running directly under some of the key mounting bolts for the presses to help prevent them from wobbling. The rest of the mounting bolts are screwed all the way through, and use large fender washers on the bottom to allow them plenty of bearing surface. Wing nuts allow me to periodically tighten things up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And some of the countertops are CHEAP. I just bought mitered 10' sections for under $60 last week.

my home office "desk" is just a countertop screwed down to 2x4s bolted to studs. I think it cost me $30.

Installing new kitchen cabinets this weekend. Mrs. Monkey says I get the old cabinets and countertops for my garage workbench. Right now I have a rickety one made of 2x4s with 4x4 legs. Cant wait.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I use one of those old metal desks. It has a very thick particle board tops. I just used large washers on the underside for the presses. Could probably pick one up cheap at a yard sale. Works well for me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Some counter tops are very cheap, and I'd recommend going that way if you can. I built mine out of 4x6 timbers for the legs then squared it with 2x6's and covered it with rough cut poplar with a brace in the middle. I also squared it again a couple feet from the bottom and covered that with plywood for a shelf. I'd have to measure the height for you, but I made it fairly high because I planned on working standing up and or on a stool. Plus I mounted my press to the bench rather than buying the fancy stand everyone recommends. I am very happy with it, very stable and lots of room! I'll be mounting a single stage to it soon.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I used the metal work bench structure from Menards and topped it with some 3/4" maple plywood also from Menards. Cut the ply to size, then sanded smooth and the used butcher block wax on it. Looks nice and has held up well so far.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If I were needing a new one, I'd build my own based on the following plans. One cannot have too many shelves or lighting when reloading and the bench cannot be too stable. I have a somewhat higher bench and use a draftsman's stool when loading shotgun or on my Dillon 550. When using my Dillon 650 with strong mount, I load while standing. Here are some great plans: http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

tdkahn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I used my old bathroom vanity, I cut off the toe kick area under the cabinet and drawers. For the top I cut, glued, and screwed 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF then screwed (without glue so I could change out later) 3/16" hardboard. I used left over MDF to make the shelf unit that attaches to the back. Lee press is now switched out with an older model Rock Chucker for decapping only.
    IMG_1107.JPG

Last edited:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Those plans are a good starting point. In the interest of time and impatience, I picked up the steel base from Menards and some laminate countertop. For the money, I don't think you can beat it.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Sounds like a fine bench. I would suggest a plate of some sort or at least large fender washers on the under side of the press bolts. Just something to keep from damaging the bottom of the countertop over time.

Top Bottom