• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm a big fan of Bloodroot and love to sneak out there for an overnighter in the woods. During the week I rarely see anyone. I often skip the field walking and hang out on the trail side nearer to the river. You can park and hike from the East end without having to enter the park on the West end, although if overnighting you are supposed to register and the Learning Center inside the park.

A half mile from my house is Lindenwood which is a quick escape in the middle of the city.

Lindenwood Nature Preserve is a 110-acre wooded park featuring four hiking trails of varying lengths (one is wheelchair and stroller accessible), a pond, and an open-air pavilion. Hiking, wildlife viewing, photography, picnicking and just relaxing are a few of the activities the public enjoys at the preserve. Lindenwood is a state-designated Nature Preserve and protects Fort Wayne's natural woodland habitat in an undisturbed manner.

Breakfast view at Bloodroot Campsite #2

BloodRoot_sun.jpg

Rocketgirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    NE Indiana
    I'm a big fan of Bloodroot and love to sneak out there for an overnighter in the woods. During the week I rarely see anyone. I often skip the field walking and hang out on the trail side nearer to the river. You can park and hike from the East end without having to enter the park on the West end, although if overnighting you are supposed to register and the Learning Center inside the park.

A half mile from my house is Lindenwood which is a quick escape in the middle of the city.

Breakfast view at Bloodroot Campsite #2

View attachment 136749
    That’s an awesome breakfast view and I do love Lindenwood. Thanks!

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I work at Metea County Park, so I can answer all your questions.
    Much of Metea is state nature preserve, so no collecting of any kind. Fox Island was one of the first state nature preserves, so they had mushroom hunting excluded from their limitations. Might be the only preserve that allows it.
    There are not many morels at Metea. A few, but nothing like FI. Wildflowers are nearly at peak now, so this will be a good week to visit.

Also North Metea, entrance off Hursh Road. Looks a lot like Bicentennial Woods in some places, and a good place to get away from crowds.

I offered an INGO foraging hike last year, and could do it again if there is enough interest. Many other subjects are also available.

Upcoming programs are listed on the Metea County Park FB page and at
    www.allencountyparks.org
    MrXtremeVel and myself would love to come if you offered it!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd go to.

...but getting my wife to hike in the woods... I'd rather give a polecat a bath.
    I’d be sure to make it.

Yea, I remember those days well. I’d never would of thought to describe the experience like you stated, but you nailed it. Never give up hope tho. It might take a couple decades, but I finally got mine to at least tolerate it some. LOL

Rocketgirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    NE Indiana
    OK, we will set one up soon. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons are out - volleyball has priority.

Won't be a long hike - maybe a mile.
    A Saturday would be fantastic for me. I’m not particularly great at volleyball so... :bow:
    but I’d make anytime work that works for you.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On this rainy day, thought I’d post a pic of visiting matea two weekends ago. It was beautiful! View attachment 139160
    Wow. I needed that pic. I’m banging my head on the wall now wishing I could get out. This weather really sucks ! Would of loved to have gotten out yesterday but had to stick around here and get garden as far along as the weather permitted. Weather still looks like I won’t be able to plant rest of tomatoes till Thursday now.

Top Bottom