• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    In a joint press conference, President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi (aka Moe, Larry, & Curly) responded to the report...
    :n00b: :scratch: :ugh:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Saw this in my extended family. A niece sucked up the 99 weeks and shortly thereafter took a job.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Saw this a lot when I was contacting foreclosed homeowners. When asked why they wouldn't take a job to pay their bills, the typical response was 'I won't get out of bed to go to a job for less than $25/hr." When I analyzed their finances to determine if they could qualify for some of the home retention programs, it turns out that unemployment was paying them $22/hr to stay home. The sad part was that if they had taken a job at $15/hr, they would have qualified to keep their home.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    Saw this a lot when I was contacting foreclosed homeowners. When asked why they wouldn't take a job to pay their bills, the typical response was 'I won't get out of bed to go to a job for less than $25/hr." When I analyzed their finances to determine if they could qualify for some of the home retention programs, it turns out that unemployment was paying them $22/hr to stay home. The sad part was that if they had taken a job at $15/hr, they would have qualified to keep their home.
    How does unemployment pay $22 per hour? I thought the most you could get was $390 per week? Unemployment ending is not a cause of employment rising. Many of those on and off of unemployment had many anecdotal things happen to them at various times and the case for causation is weak.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I saw a few folks that decided it was time to take a job as their unemployment ending.

I throw the BS flag on 22/hr. Whats your math to back it up? Are you putting in things like medicaid coverage for kids or something?

Even at 400/thats only 10 per hour...

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Each state has a different maximum payout. When I was laid off 2 years ago I was under Minnesota's system. Their payout max was a lot more than the Indiana plan.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I saw this story on the national news this a.m. I think the governor is spinning the facts of what the numbers represent. The drop in the unemployment percentage number does not take into account the number of people who have dropped out of the job market or the people that are grossly underemployed.

Reminds me of my all time favorite, budget surplus or budget savings. The entity is running in the red. The entitty cuts back and spends less but is still running in the red. The amount then becomes a positive number even though it is red.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I saw this story on the national news this a.m. I think the governor is spinning the facts of what the numbers represent. The drop in the unemployment percentage number does not take into account the number of people who have dropped out of the job market or the people that are grossly underemployed.

Reminds me of my all time favorite, budget surplus or budget savings. The entity is running in the red. The entitty cuts back and spends less but is still running in the red. The amount then becomes a positive number even though it is red.
    In politics, 2+2 is always going to equal how much you want it to be.

Top Bottom