• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't deny the ignorance on their part, in fact it's what I was pointing toward. Not to Godwin, but to make a similar example, the Nazis didn't view anyone other than "Aryans" as worthy of treatment as humans. In our Founders' time, the others would have been the indigenous "Indians", Black people, women, and probably many other groups I'm not naming because I've made enough of a point with those.

It's not completely either stupidity or ignorance. What it is is simple ethnocentrism (and while you know the term, for any who might not, it means that you view your group, your culture, etc., as better than others. Abe Lincoln displayed it during the debates with Stephen Douglas,
    I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.
    (emphasis mine))
    Hell, even in 1858, he referred to "negroes" and the "Black race", but did so in counter to a reference to "White people" when it came to miscegenation. Was he a racist? Possibly/probably.
    Further, and I don't have the reference, but I seem to recall hearing that the first slave owners were other Black people, and that the traders simply took advantage of a market already in existence, with the demand being here and the supply being provided by the locals who captured or otherwise enslaved their own people and sold them for profit. If that's true, who was truly denying people their rights?
    Lastly, I'm glad to see you referring to them as God-given rights: Previously, I've seen you deny that anything comes from a God in whom you've expressed disbelief.

ETA: No, you didn't directly bring up slavery, that's true. You did mention a generality that, based on your previous statements on INGO, inferred the enslaved Black people at the time of the Founding. Please don't play innocent on that point, Kut. It's disingenuous at best to do so.

Blessings,
    Bill

I wasnt going to specify who I referring, because it encompassed a much larger group, than just slaves. But to address that one facet Bill, simply put, that the slaves weren't human, excuse, is chalked full of intellectual dishonesty. Unlike a computer, no one created men held in bondage from nothing into something. To believe that the Founders honestly held that slaves weren't "real" men, seriously undermines their intelligence and subsequent thought. Do you think they were honestly that stupid? And if they weren't stupid, then most assuredly they were ignorant on a massive scale. And even if you deny either, it is clear that their concept of "rights," was severely flawed. However, they weren't stupid nor ignorant. They knew exactly what they were doing, and that is denying people their God given rights.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Neither did anyone here know a slave. So I suppose you don't have a dogin the fight either.

Or are you a victim?

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Did you know him? I doubt it. So I'm not exactly sure why looking to how the Founders applied the Constitution, during their time, and comparing it to how our leaders apply it now, is something we need to give a "rest." Or does that specific subject, again the one I did not even bring up, bother you for some reason?

Does that chip on your shoulder push your shots to the left?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Man, I don't think the White versus Black "thing" will ever end in this country. One thing is for certain, there are some people in the world, who would line us all up (black and white), and shoot our butts into the holes they made us dig first, just because they would view us ALL as Americans...at least that what I thought we were.

We had better learn to get along with each other, no matter what we are. I believe it was Ben Franklin who said something like "we will all hang separately, or we will certainly all hang together". Bottom line, we all need to get along, as Americans.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Man, I don't think the White versus Black "thing" will ever end in this country. One thing is for certain, there are some people in the world, who would line us all up (black and white), and shoot our butts into the holes they made us dig first, just because they would view us ALL as Americans...at least that what I thought we were.

We had better learn to get along with each other, no matter what we are. I believe it was Ben Franklin who said something like "we will all hang separately, or we will certainly all hang together". Bottom line, we all need to get along, as Americans.

I am sorry, but I don't think it will happen. I was brought up to not be prejudiced, in my home I only heard stories of how good my parents relationship with the black people they knew. there werent many black fpol in my town, but I had one friend who's house I spent time at. When I went in the army I saw a lot of prejudice among blacks, whites, asians, native americans. I met and was friends with very good people of all the same races.

I have maintained my desire to not bebome prejudiced over the years, but I am sorry to say I am becoming jaded as i realize just how many people hate me because of the color of my skin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hillary talking gun control in Indy this weekend. Starts into gun control @8:30ish. Ugh, your welcome...

[video=youtube;KoF_tg0xoo0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoF_tg0xoo0[/video]

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    More crappy "journalism". Can't these media outlets at least hire an editor.

I read the title and thought the mayors were upset because they couldn't bring their guns into the conference and had to leave them locked in their cars.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Neither did anyone here know a slave. So I suppose you don't have a dogin the fight either.

Or are you a victim?

Nope, l don't have a dog in the fight. You ever see me make a "woe is me" my family was enslaved post? Yeah, I didn't think so. And ONE more time for the folks who head gears arent so well oiled, I didn't even bring the slavery subject up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Does that chip on your shoulder push your shots to the left?

Your the one crying about the sacrifices of your ancestors, not me. Hey, if you want me to tip my hat, and say a prayer for them and their service, no problem.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It could be legitimately argued that there was "except for" clause inferred in those words. And that those "unalienable rights," we're alienable depending on who you are, and to reference your thoughts from another thread, create a class of nobility.... and I'll also point out, that these words were put on parchment by the Founders/Framers.

Nope, l don't have a dog in the fight. You ever see me make a "woe is me" my family was enslaved post? Yeah, I didn't think so. And ONE more time for the folks who head gears arent so well oiled, I didn't even bring the slavery subject up.

My, you dance well. Unless of course you were talking about women

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's good to see the mayors and VIP's have put their money where their mouth is by disarming the security at the event.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ^^^^ and here's a man that doesn't know his history. Lol

Alright, Kut, you said you weren't going to identify of whom you were speaking. Please do so, rather than just telling us, "Nope, not them" when someone mentions the Blacks, women, Native American, or whichever other group you choose to deny being the one or part of the group you mean. And yes, I know you've only denied the first two.

So far.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Alright, Kut, you said you weren't going to identify of whom you were speaking. Please do so, rather than just telling us, "Nope, not them" when someone mentions the Blacks, women, Native American, or whichever other group you choose to deny being the one or part of the group you mean. And yes, I know you've only denied the first two.

So far.

I said no such thing. I made a factual statement, and then for some reason there's this concerted attempt to make my statement about slavery. Maybe I'm giving people way more credit than I should concerning Constitution, and knowing that certain groups beyond slaves weren't able to fully recognize their rights. I mean seriously, is this an honest question?

Top Bottom