• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    In another thread someone was saying that Senator Lugar voted against National reciprocity, which I am infavor of, for the most part. I do, however wonder if such a bill would require a person to take classes in order to own a gun. Gun education is a good thing. I just don't want the state mandating it and charging me for it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As I recall the amendment made no mention of classes or restriction of any sort. It simply called for application of the full faith and credit clause to apply to licenses to carry. Maybe we'll get lucky one of these days and it'll be re-introduced.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    The bill that was put forth was very simple. It basically mandated that if you have a valid license to carry in one state that your license would be honored in any other state that issues carry permits...like a driver's license. No new requirements.

Unfortunately, it was quashed and Lugar was part of quashing it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yep, Lugar needs to go. He has consistantly voted against any second amendment item. Funny thing, looking back at Bayh's record, he has voted for second amendment items!

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Don't let Bayh fool you. There was a pre count before the vote and they knew it would not pass. Bayh only voted yes to make it look like he was pro 2nd amendment. His yes vote will fool the fools out there. At least Luger don't hide the fact. Both of these two need to go.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Yep, Lugar needs to go. He has consistantly voted against any second amendment item. Funny thing, looking back at Bayh's record, he has voted for second amendment items!

Last I read, Lugar will not be seeking re-election when his term is up (2012 I believe) so after that we'll no longer have him anymore!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Don't let Bayh fool you. There was a pre count before the vote and they knew it would not pass. Bayh only voted yes to make it look like he was pro 2nd amendment. His yes vote will fool the fools out there. At least Luger don't hide the fact. Both of these two need to go.
    stutzman will have my vote over bayh.

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    yea I wrote Lugar and told him it was time for him to leave,if he didnt want to stand behind the people that put him in there,voting against that bill was the last straw for me

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    While on a personal level I would love national reciprocity and think it is a logical end point, I oppose it at a federal level because it is a violation of state's rights and a trap for gun owners.

The last thing I want is to hand over any aspect, control, or power to the national level decision making of rights that do not belong there. They belong at the state only, if they belong anywhere at a government level.
    :twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While on a personal level I would love national reciprocity and think it is a logical end point, I oppose it at a federal level because it is a violation of state's rights and a trap for gun owners.

The last thing I want is to hand over any aspect, control, or power to the national level decision making of rights that do not belong there. They belong at the state only, if they belong anywhere at a government level.

While I agree the decision, administration, and management should not be in government hands at all, were it not for gov't interference, we would not have the Peaceable Journey law (one of the very few with which I agree, despite it not going far enough in removing restrictions)

I think that gov't removing restrictions it places on lawful action should be encouraged, and that's where this failed-before-it-started carry bill would have gone if it'd had a snowball's chance in hell. It would have simply removed the whole reciprocity argument. IL & WI would have been unaffected, unless their provisions for OC were later challenged at SCOTUS. I don't see this as as much of a states' "rights" issue as you do, I think, so much as an issue of conformity to the supreme law of the land.

Blessings,
    Bill

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    While I agree the decision, administration, and management should not be in government hands at all, were it not for gov't interference, we would not have the Peaceable Journey law (one of the very few with which I agree, despite it not going far enough in removing restrictions)

I think that gov't removing restrictions it places on lawful action should be encouraged, and that's where this failed-before-it-started carry bill would have gone if it'd had a snowball's chance in hell. It would have simply removed the whole reciprocity argument. IL & WI would have been unaffected, unless their provisions for OC were later challenged at SCOTUS. I don't see this as as much of a states' "rights" issue as you do, I think, so much as an issue of conformity to the supreme law of the land.

Blessings,
    Bill

I like that perspective. It seems like it would be the federal government taking a step toward enforcing the second amendment.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    The Bill of Rights recognizes (and supposedly protects) Rights that belong to every person, regardless of which State in which they might live. When you go from one State to another, you don't lose (or have to re-apply for) your right to free speech or to worship as you choose, do you? There is (should be) no difference with the 2nd Amendment. National Reciprocity is no more an issue of States Rights than is trial by jury.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The Bill of Rights recognizes (and supposedly protects) Rights that belong to every person, regardless of which State in which they might live. When you go from one State to another, you don't lose (or have to re-apply for) your right to free speech or to worship as you choose, do you? There is (should be) no difference with the 2nd Amendment. National Reciprocity is no more an issue of States Rights than is trial by jury.

Yup, As far as I'm concerned life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness trumps states rights.

Top Bottom