• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bad luck not to wave at another bike. Bad luck to pass a broke down motorcycle and not help.

The husband of one of my wife's friends died stopping to help a fellow motorcyclist...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do y'all cover your levers (with one or two fingers) and pedal all the time when you ride? Only when you think you need to? Not at all?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do y'all cover your levers (with one or two fingers) and pedal all the time when you ride? Only when you think you need to? Not at all?

Don't have a pedal right now, but the two finger thing - I've caught my self doing it. My ABATE instructor was dead set against it, stating that was a technique for motocross.

If I feel the need to cover the brake, I try to use all four fingers while staying on the throttle. In a panic stop, disengaging the clutch is detrimental, as it eliminates engine braking.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Don't have a pedal right now, but the two finger thing - I've caught my self doing it. My ABATE instructor was dead set against it, stating that was a technique for motocross.

If I feel the need to cover the brake, I try to use all four fingers while staying on the throttle. In a panic stop, disengaging the clutch is detrimental, as it eliminates engine braking.
    Cover the brakes? You guys have front brakes?? Well that's just silly!!!!!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    As for the wave, there must be an epidemic of bad luck for Harley rider that don't like "brothers" on Hondas. pfft.

Instructors (of anything) don't necessarily know everything.
    I cover through intersections and tight traffic that is making me leary. I am also a 2 finger braker, so I'm covering with 2. Used to be a one finger, but old age and such, I switched a year or so ago. 4 finger cover is not a good policy imo for the brake. if your levers are configured correctly, you can fully brake without full depress, you can't do that with the clutch, which generally requires a 4 finger action. That means you don't have a full grip on either bar end if you are covering that way. Cant comment on the mx statement, but I learned to cover on the asphalt track simply being a pre-turn setup. I also don't buy the engine brake. I actually tested this at a timed course where we were doing licensing. There was zero discernible difference in stopping time if you had the clutch, in, out or even were downshifting through the process. In fact, downshifting actually hurt stop time, because riders attention was diverted to that process over being centered on the feedback from the brakes and traction. 2 bits from me.

Top Bottom