My wife wants her own handgun, suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhjennings

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Nashville
    My wife has decided she wants her own handgun for home protection and some fun on the range. I was thinking a revolver for ease of use. Anyone have suggestions?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    My wife has decided she wants her own handgun for home protection and some fun on the range. I was thinking a revolver for ease of use. Anyone have suggestions?

What's her shooting experience? She is going to have to try out several different formats and see what she is comfortable with. It's not a decision that someone else can easily make for her.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    She has very minimal experience shooting anything besides a bow. We are going to the range soon so she can try some different options.

That is your best bet. Try out as many different styles and formats as you can. Rentals are one option but that can get expensive. See if you have some friends that can bring things to try out. There are some general guidelines that may help. The smaller and lighter the gun the harsher it is to shoot. If shooting it isn't enjoyable then it won't get shot or carried. 5 shot revolvers are not beginner guns even though many try to make them so. To cut down on rental costs try to group similar things together. Such as a Glock will shoot much more similar to an M&P than a Beretta 92. Don't rush into a purchase, there will be something that stands out that she really likes. The trick it to keep at it until you find it.

sgt1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2015
    lynn
    i started mine with a 380 and she is now up and running wiyh my sve 9 mm and i would hate to be in her sights . but let her hold and get the feel of all kinds and calbers...

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    5 shot revolvers are not beginner guns even though many try to make them so

Agree 100%. I always see gun store employees pushing snub nose .38's on new female shooters and just have to shake my head. There are plenty of compact semi's that are just as easy to use and much easier to shoot accurately.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I bought my wife a .38spl revolver. We took a few classes together (NRA basic pistol, and a follow up basic pistol session) and she HATED that pistol. Couldn't hit a pie plate from 5 yds due to the DA trigger pull. Fortunately an instructor realized what was happening, and let her shoot his 1911 in 9mm. She went from barely hitting the cardboard target hanger, to putting pretty respectable groups together. First thing we did when we got back into town was trade off that 38 revolver for a 1911 in 9mm of her very own.

The moral of the story is that many guns guys like us think a 38 revolver is the ideal gun for our ladies. Fairly mild recoil yet still adequate for self defense. Gun is no nonsense...just pull the trigger and it will go bang. No safeties to have to learn to use, no slides to rack, no magazines to change, etc.

If you are going with a .38 revolver for your wife, have her shoot a few first to make sure she can actually score good hits with it. If she ever needs to use a gun in self defense, she needs it to be something she can hit what she's shooting at. Otherwise it is of little value.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Ditto on the .38 special!!! I hate to say this but Taurus definitely makes a more comfortable 38 to shoot than S&W. I had an airweight, my wife shot and HATED!!!! it!!!! With the metal tang running thru the grips, she noticed the recoil more with the Smith than the Taurus Ultra-Lite. She's very comfortable with a Glock 19 and a damn good shot I might add.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The best thing you can do is to get her some one on one time with a good trainer. $100 or so for proper instruction on how to shoot different types of guns is better than buying one she doesn't shoot well. Talk to the instructor before hand and explain the situation and he/she can bring several types (striker fired, SA/DA, DAO etc) and once she is shown how to use each one properly, her choice in what to buy is very easy.

Do some research on instructors to find one that suits her needs best.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Like several others have said find a gun she enjoys shooting, I really do not think a revolver is were to start at least in are case it wasnt. Maybe something like the M&P Shield or XDS in my opinion has a little less recoil than a lighter weight gun and is more enjoyable to shoot. Just like mentioned if it is not fun and is hard to shoot at first probably will keep little interest for long.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The best thing you can do is to get her some one on one time with a good trainer. $100 or so for proper instruction on how to shoot different types of guns is better than buying one she doesn't shoot well. Talk to the instructor before hand and explain the situation and he/she can bring several types (striker fired, SA/DA, DAO etc) and once she is shown how to use each one properly, her choice in what to buy is very easy.

Do some research on instructors to find one that suits her needs best.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

This is a really good idea. That way she gets exposure to several guns and instruction on how to use them at the same time. I was in a similar dilemma with my girlfriend, but after going to the range and shooting several of my guns, she decided she liked my G19. Comfortable weight, low recoil and she was able to shoot it well. Good luck getting the right one for your wife.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I teach a ladies only class almost every Monday at Parabellum from 12-3.. Very inexpensive and along with being heavy on safety we cover how to choose your first pistol. SR-22s and ammo is also furnished as part of the course for use on the range. After a class she, or the two of you together, will be able to approach the decision on what pistol might suit her best without getting something that she doesn't like or shoot very well. IMHO avoid the " you're a woman you need a revolver" people. In a subversive sort of way she is being told, you are not intelligent enough or strong enough to handle a semi auto so a revolver is your best bet.. I have had more than a few women in my classes that show up with a 2" 38 and after the class want to know how much they can get for it trading it in.
    I also do the one on one training but new shooters generally seem more in their comfort zone in a group of other ladies with the same concerns and skill sets.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I started my wife with a 4" s&w 38+p for simplicity of operations. When we moved to semi's, I had a P227 and an SP2022 in 9 for her to try. She liked shooting the 45 better than the 9, but not the big grip. Bought her a P220 and she's happy as a clam!

I will also echo the "get her a class" speech with a caveat... do it somewhere that afterwards, you can "rent" several styles and calibers a for her to try. Or, get with your friends for a range day and have her shoot as many different firearms as possible before making a choice!

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    1. It's her gun.
    2. Make sure she can a) get a good grip and still reach the trigger. b) pull the trigger c) rack the slide d) wear it with what she wears. It it meets these criteria the only thing you need to do is buy it for her and take her shooting. If she cannot do one or more of these things, you will be out $$ and that's about it.
    3. Ignore the gun shop guy who says she needs a revolver or a .22.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My first gun was a small, cheap semi-auto that was notorious for jamming. 2nd gun was a used, cheap Rossi .38 special 6" revolver. I loved shooting that gun. At that point, I was more concerned with home defense and recreational shooting, not carry. I love revolvers, and I love semi-autos, every gun gal should have at least one of each. ;)
    It's best if she can go out and shoot a lot of different guns first like other said, but don't discount the revolver. My daughter tried quite a few before her first gun purchase, and ended up with the S&W .38 Airweight. She's a pretty decent shot with it. I own one myself, it's not my favorite to shoot, by any means. A longer barrel SA/DA might not be a bad start for her. I like 6" barrels best if I'm not going to carry, but I picked up a nice used Security Six 3", and found it to be pretty darn accurate for me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My wife looked at a lot of guns back when she first got her's, it was a Detective Special.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    You cannot pick the gun for her just as she cannot pick a gun for you. I took my wife to several different gun shops that had a large selection of handguns and let her fondle them. Some she would handle some at each shop and after a couple different times she would find things that she liked or dislike. It was kind of a long process but I tried not to rush her into anything, I would just try and make sure she got something that would be reliable but let her choose otherwise. She ended up getting a M&P Shield 9mm. After taking it out a few times she did not like it. She has shot my CZ P07 Duty several times and she eventually decided that is what she wanted so we sold the Shield and got her her own P07. She loves it and is more accurate with it than she was with the Shield.

Top Bottom