• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I am happy to unveil Spyderco's newest mini folder, the Fire Ant! Pictured next to my Para-Military 2, is this little .5" blade monster. These will retail at $247.79. You may think that is a *little* high. BUT, this steel is heat treated with pure unicorn tears and makes your Busse look like a butter knife in comparison!
    IMG267.jpg

IMG269.jpg

IMG270.jpg

The best part is.........it also doubles as a lapel pin! The designers at Spyderco are geniuses!:):

Ok, now onto the real story.:D

Welcome to Spyderco.
    IMG244.jpg

IMG253.jpg

The Spyderco Factory Outlet is right inside the doors.

The staff was extremely knowledgeable and were more than happy to pull just about every knife out of the case to fondle.:D

IMG250.jpg

IMG251.jpg

IMG245.jpg

IMG247.jpg

They offer free on the spot sharpening for any Spyderco knife. My Delica is now hair splitting sharp!:rockwoot:
    IMG248.jpg

Now for the good part.

Gail Glesser happened to be in the showroom.:eek: My dad and I were able to talk with with her for about half an hour, mostly about 9/11, the WTC commemorative knife, and her visits to Ground Zero after the attack. Her respect and gratefulness for our military, fire, police, EMS, etc. is amazing.
    It came up in conversation that my dad is a police officer. As soon as she heard that, she told us to wait there, she had a gift for us. She ran off to an office and returned with 2 cut outs from the WTC commemorative knife inlays. These were pieces of a WTC Tower 1 girder. Each piece had 3 inlays cut from it. With only 2819 knives being made that means there are only about 940 of these cut outs.

IMG257.jpg

WTC_M.jpg

Spyderco World Trade Center

Oh, and how could I go to Spyderco HQ and not buy something?:D

I ended up with:
    Spyderco Para-Military 2
    Spyder Flash drive
    Lapel pins
    Stickers
    Product and steel guides

IMG254.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

It was truly a pleasure to meet and talk to Gail. I can't thank her enough for her gift. This visit just confirms why Spyderco is my favorite knife company out there:patriot:

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you get to visit the actual factory when you go there or is that a secret part not shown to the public?
    Maybe that's a part that you visited but where pictures are not allowed like in many factories.
    I hope to go there some day, I need to bring lots of Spyderco knives to have them sharpened for free to make it worth the trip. :D

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like a heck of a trip! :yesway: Do they offer tours of the manufacturing floor?

Do you get to visit the actual factory when you go there or is that a secret part not shown to the public?
    Maybe that's a part that you visited but where pictures are not allowed like in many factories.
    I hope to go there some day, I need to bring lots of Spyderco knives to have them sharpened for free to make it worth the trip. :D

They don't do tours.:( I'd tried asking Gail, but no such luck.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've owned 6 Enduras and have carried one for 17 years. I've retired one, given away two (an Indian in Costa Rica and my son's best friend, a marine, before his 1st deployment to Afghanistan), and lost three. They stay in my pocket when I wear jeans but not when I wear cargo pants or shorts. I think the seatbelt gremlin gets them. When I went to get another, my local shop didn't have any in stock. I walked out of there with a spring assist SOG. It's not quite as handy as an Endura but the pocket clip is more secure. I do love that assisted opening also.

Top Bottom