• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I got a call this morning from my son (21 year old) telling me a convoluted story about how his roommate left his car keys on the seat of his car resulting in his car being stolen overnight.

Knowing what his car is like (an old Chrysler 300), which is itself a long story; my first thought was "I can't imagine why anybody would steal THAT car, I would think they would bring it back after they drove it."

A few hours later my son calls again. The car was found abandoned on the street outside of his apartment complex! The only damage being a tire that came off the rim, apparently caused by the thief driving too fast over the speed bumps in the complex.

My idiot son aside, I find it all somewhat amusing that his car is such crap that it can't be stolen.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sounds like someone who knows him took a joy ride and does not want to fess up to ruining a tire. Not saying I am right, but I have not heard of car thieves bringing them back, especially when tiktok has a challenge for videos destroying property with cars.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sounds like someone who knows him took a joy ride and does not want to fess up to ruining a tire. Not saying I am right, but I have not heard of car thieves bringing them back, especially when tiktok has a challenge for videos destroying property with cars.
    Oh great another tik tok challenge brought to you by the PRC ministry of propaganda.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I had my car stolen back in 1980 in Columbus, Ohio. They took my can of oil and cheap socket set, left behind their high school tassel and a walnut shifter knob. It only had less than gallon of gas in it, and they abandoned it in German Village after they ran out of gas. Also broke my exhaust system. Repairs and bailing it out of impound took all the money I had at the time.

The punch line - it was a 73 Pinto wagon. Back then a 5-speed wasn't necessarily an anti-theft device.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...his roommate left his car keys on the seat of his car

....I find it all somewhat amusing that his car is such crap that it can't be stolen.
    Making it super simple has a tendency to raise the chances of a car being stolen.

Living in our very rural, very friendly area where we knew everyone, my parents had a habit of leaving the car keys in the ignition....until a drunk guy wrecked his car up the road and went looking for a ride, finding our '75 Bel Air with the keys right there. Availability beats quality every time.

Anyhoo, it wasn't "almost" stolen. It was stolen....briefly.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There was a guy who would, on the weekends, take this farmers truck and go out with it. Who knows where he went and what he did, but he brought it back each night. I did a ride along with a sheriff deputy and we staked out the farmer's place when he called in to say the truck was gone again.

Sure enough a couple hours later, the dude came rolling in. As soon as he parked it and got out, the cops grabbed him.

Top Bottom