My son has/had me looking at used GM Silverados and Sierras until I learned of GM frame rust/rot...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    So you're saying that the Rustoleum paint actually hurt, rather than helped the situation?
    No ..........more of losing a winless battle . I`m sure the paint slowed down the rusting process a bit . I was just saying all the things I tried to do to make my truck last longer , still didn`t save it .
    Back in the day , you didn`t have to repaint your frame every year ....and one should not have to .

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a `96 Tacoma that the frame almost rusted in two , I bought a used `97 Tacoma before I found out the" buy back" program . Paid $5600 and 6 months later , Toyota gave me $9300 for it .
    I now have a 2011 Tacoma ........seems like Toyota didn`t learn anything , I received a similar notice in the mail that mine needs inspected for frame rust and they are replacing entire sections of the frames if required .
    I suspect all the manufactures have a common denominator .....(Chinese Steel ) ?
    It's a little surprising and uncharacteristic of Toyota to have a problem that extends several years. I need to ask some of my Toyota contacts why this didn't get fixed.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...But I have no idea how someone thought it was a good idea to go with a wax undercoating...
    Probably cause it saved them $3 per truck. Trucks they make about $10K profit on.:rolleyes:

My 1998 Chevy still has most of its original undercoating and some minor surface rust. My dad's 2005 has NONE and is quickly rusting away.

There are products they could use that actually last. I have a 2007 Lexus RX350 pushing 300K miles that if you look underneath, it looks like the day it left the factory. It's a very thick, rubbery coating. I suspect Lexus uses it more for its sound deadening properties than its corrosion resistance.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It's a little surprising and uncharacteristic of Toyota to have a problem that extends several years. I need to ask some of my Toyota contacts why this didn't get fixed.
    Toyota had this problem on their trucks back in the 80s too. Those were boxed frames that water got into but didn't get out. They rusted from the inside out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Toyota had this problem on their trucks back in the 80s too. Those were boxed frames that water got into but didn't get out. They rusted from the inside out.
    I have heard that boxed frames and boxed tubes for utility trailers aren't all their cracked up to be. I guess you can't get to the insides easily to protect the steel.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'll add that my 05 F150 was 10 years old when I got rid of it and it only had tiny amounts of surface rust on the frame. Only in some of the welded areas. However the bedside started bubbling paint above the wheels at only 6 years old! Because of a bunch of other issues, that was the worst vehicle I've ever owned, cannot believe I kept it for 10 years. It was bad enough I doubt I'll ever own another Ford and I use to be a Ford truck guy.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have heard that boxed frames and boxed tubes for utility trailers aren't all their cracked up to be. I guess you can't get to the insides easily to protect the steel.
    Some of the treatment companies drill holes and spray in the petroleum based treatments, but only so much they can get to I'd guess with that.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I work at a major Collision Center and I tease all the Chevy guys when we pull beds off Chevy trucks. I have seen 2 year old Chevy trucks looking like they have been in the bottom of a lake. GM undercoating is and has always been garbage !!! You will find this in most truck brands but not nearly as bad as with GM.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    When I bought my open car trailer I made sure to get one with all angle and channel over tubing. Much easier to coat and less places for water to get in and sit.

I crawled under my neighbors 2021 1500 Chevy and touched the frame once. My hand was instantly black with their wax coating that just rubbed off. I wasn't impressed. All of the manufacturers have trucks that rust. I am convinced that they don't do anything to fix it that way they can sell more trucks. Just think if all the hot rods and nice trucks from the 60s and 70s didn't rust out many people would be still driving them today.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Probably cause it saved them $3 per truck. Trucks they make about $10K profit on.:rolleyes:

My 1998 Chevy still has most of its original undercoating and some minor surface rust. My dad's 2005 has NONE and is quickly rusting away.

There are products they could use that actually last. I have a 2007 Lexus RX350 pushing 300K miles that if you look underneath, it looks like the day it left the factory. It's a very thick, rubbery coating. I suspect Lexus uses it more for its sound deadening properties than its corrosion resistance.
    For sure. From the articles I've briefly read, one court case deposed an undercoating engineer and he stated that GM designed the undercoating to last 1 year. Some of the pics are obscene. Trucks breaking in half when put on a lift, leaf spring mounts breaking off. People spending $30k, $40k, up on used trucks to see the frame disintegrate. It would make me sick.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My f250 will be a pile of rush with an engine in the middle before it hits 100k. Its an 01.

Rather have it than chevy.
    04 GMC Siearra with just south of 160 on the clock.
    It has had the brake lines rust through and be replaced and now the fuel lines. An all too common issue for these.
    There is surface rust as to be expected but nothing red flag levels.
    In an age where we "Expect" 200K + from our trucks Mone at 18 years old is in amazing running condition. But we have to keep up on the maint. along that long path. We have.

Pick your poison. the pro's and cons of every manf on the market. Choose what you can live with.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I work at a major Collision Center and I tease all the Chevy guys when we pull beds off Chevy trucks. I have seen 2 year old Chevy trucks looking like they have been in the bottom of a lake. GM undercoating is and has always been garbage !!! You will find this in most truck brands but not nearly as bad as with GM.
    You said "you will find this in most truck brands".....but you did not say all brands. That indicates to me that you have seen brands that do not have this rust issue.

Would you care to share which brands you have seen that don't have the rust issue?

Do you find that there is a difference between a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickups?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We had a 2020 chevy 700 miles on it, dealer replaced the engine.

My current 2020 chevy does not have functional interior dome lights. Straight from the factory. Transmission shifts like a beginner in a manual. Glad I dont pay for this crap.
    Wow! You really have crappy luck with new vehicles. And that is what it is, luck of the draw. In manufacturing, regardless of design and QC, a bad unit is going to get out in the wild. Regardless of the product.

Your luck really sux! Good thing you don't pay for it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I had an '06 Toyota Tundra that was recalled to check for frame rust. They told me if there was a problem, they would rebuild the truck on a new frame. Thankfully, there was no problem but they pumped the frame full of some "rust preventative". The dealership had a stack of new frames behind the service department. Traded it at 100K miles for a new 2016 F150. The Tundra was still on the original sparkplugs and brake pads. A deer took out that F150 and I now have a similar 2019! No issues at 45K miles.

On a quiet night, you can hear a Ram rusting! :)

Top Bottom