• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I would say stick with the company you're at. If you get your hours and you have a good position stick with them. I went union 6 years ago because non-union couldn't compete with the wages, I liked the non-union company and they liked me but they wouldn't meet the pay I asked for, which was no where near what union pay is. Just like any job you have to take good with the bad. As far as guys thinking its all breaks and no work...... You must be thinking of the UAW and Teamsters, you slack off in a trade union and you get a pink piece of paper that says you get to go home and slack off.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Easy choice,
    Labor unions are dying a horrid death(as they should be), start your own gig and put yourself in position to reap the rewards.

I think you are confusing the trade unions with the UAW. The UAW is doing everything it can to hurt itself with its international level leadership but the trade unions are strong still. If I were a contractor on a large job then I would rather hire through the hall of a trade union than through a place where I have no idea if all the workers are qualified.

Jclark, the advice about seniority over money would be something that really sticks out to me. It is always nice to make more money but if your life is not happy then it really is not worth it.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I can't wear shorts anymore.
    That pisses me off.
    What? They don't make long pants with a plumber's pocket?

butt_crack_joe_the_plumber.jpg

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    i am no way for the union but i would say right now and i cant be for sure but.... the main reason to go union right now with the way things are now and cost would be benifits. Would cost him less if you guys had them at all,and beeing with the new ooooobama regs and rules as a small bis rather he really wanted to or not in his mind it could have been for the beter good for the now as he sees. Just an opion and i am no way nere union but for a smaller bis it seems that the union might make a come back do to are no fears and rules of our gov.
    I actually made it through just over 2 lines of this and then thought...WTF am I doing???? :n00b:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Question for the union Plumbers:
    I have been told that if I sign a contract in Res/light comm. it's not the same as signing a contract in comm/ind.
    Is this true?
    I don't want to be stuck in Residential for the rest of my days.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Unions are not strong in Indianapolis, and construction work is slow.

See how that works.....it still makes you look like you dont know what your talking about.
    There are way too many 2 man operations plumbing homes down here.
    There are very few homes being built because the economy is in the crapper.
    I am also not a big fan of Aquapex. I still use Copper on all of our new construction.

I do not think this is the time for me to start up my own shop.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Your meeting on Monday with the business agent , should answer your questions , it will most likely be a guy named Don , he's a good guy and he has a ton of knowledge , he started at the bottom years ago and busted his butt to get where he is now , so if you have questions just ask him .

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Your meeting on Monday with the business agent , should answer your questions , it will most likely be a guy named Don , he's a good guy and he has a ton of knowledge , he started at the bottom years ago and busted his butt to get where he is now , so if you have questions just ask him .
    It's Mike M. Local 136
    I have talked to him once before.
    I was going to walk on as a Journeyman last year, But work slowed down.
    Our shop was still busy so I chose to stay.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Question for the union Plumbers:
    I have been told that if I sign a contract in Res/light comm. it's not the same as signing a contract in comm/ind.
    Is this true?
    I don't want to be stuck in Residential for the rest of my days.

In our local here in Indy it is different, you are a houuse plumber only and you make a lower scale of pay. We don't have hardly any business on that side here, mostly just commercial and industrial plumbing here. If you have any more questions PM me and I would be glad to help.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    In our local here in Indy it is different, you are a houuse plumber only and you make a lower scale of pay. We don't have hardly any business on that side here, mostly just commercial and industrial plumbing here. If you have any more questions PM me and I would be glad to help.
    Thanks, SP.
    I'm just going to join.
    There are 300 guys sitting on the bench on the Comm. side.
    I'll sign and see where it takes me.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Unions are not strong in Indianapolis, and construction work is slow.

Yes construction work is slow in IN all over, at least for my trade it is. (Millwright) And that is the primary reason I have been in ND for the last 15 months. I really wish it would start to pick back up at home soon.

Top Bottom