My search is over. I've found a new lube.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I have read so much crap about the best lube, I just started trying out stuff. Hoppe's #9, Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease, Super tech Silicon and a few others. Some to thick, others to thin. Some were just dirt collectors. So after some range time, I have found a new favorite by far: M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX. It is perfect. No odor, does not drip. Does not cake either. 4 oz was like $7 so not to expensive.

And to all the folks who use Mobil 1 synthetic you are just plain nuts. I had malfunctions, and other issues from that product. Stick to stuff that works. M-Pro, and Hoppe's (although not as good.) My happy rant for the month.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am always looking for a good lube. WAIT! Oh never mind. Anyway I have heard the M-Pro is good oil but never used it. Internet wisdom says it is the same as Hoppes Elite oil. I have tried the Hoppes Elite and like it, carry it in my range bag. Right now I am using Tetra Lubricant on my Polymer guns and Tetra grease (light) and Wilson Combat Lube on my 1911s. I have also had excellent luck with Tetra Grease and regular old Hoppes gun oil.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been using 2 parts Mobile 1 synthetic oil & 1 part Mobile 1 synthetic tranny fluid for years on my rifle, works great. Ran a rifle through a 3500 round (without cleaning) torture test with it many years ago and never had a failure, finally cleaned the thing due to guilt.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I am always looking for a good lube. WAIT! Oh never mind. Anyway I have heard the M-Pro is good oil but never used it. Internet wisdom says it is the same as Hoppes Elite oil. I have tried the Hoppes Elite and like it, carry it in my range bag. Right now I am using Tetra Lubricant on my Polymer guns and Tetra grease (light) and Wilson Combat Lube on my 1911s. I have also had excellent luck with Tetra Grease and regular old Hoppes gun oil.

I've been using Tetra for years. I like how it applies and deals with high heat from rapid fire. But I've found over time in the safe it lost moisture and caked somewhat. I'm interested in how the M-Pro survives.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    M-pro an oil or grease? I use a light coat (not caked on) of grease on friction points and then oil as usual. Never had a caking problem. The Tetra lubricant almost looks like a grease/oil mixture.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I've been using M-Pro lately since I ran out of Sentry oil for my tuff cloth. I think it works just as well as Sentry, only it's available locally and I don't have to order it. I like the Sentry applicator bottle better though because it has a 2 inch metal needle attached to the bottle for easy application.

Edit: BTW, the title is wrong on so many levels......

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My POF came with Mpro7, smelt like WD40 IMO, be sweeter, if that makes sense

Degreased it and put Slip2000 in it

I've heard good things about Mpro though

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Weapon Shield has turned out to be the most wide ranging superior lube I have ever found. I use it far beyond just my firearms.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I like CLP for my rifles and handguns. I've heard the Mpro7 is good too.
    My FN SCAR owners manual says to use CLP for a lube and cleaner, so that's been good enough for me.
    At the Knob Creek shoot, I bought a 16oz mil-surplus spray bottle of CLP for $8. :cool:
    Works great in my glocks too.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I have read so much crap about the best lube, I just started trying out stuff. Hoppe's #9, Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease, Super tech Silicon and a few others. Some to thick, others to thin. Some were just dirt collectors. So after some range time, I have found a new favorite by far: M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX. It is perfect. No odor, does not drip. Does not cake either. 4 oz was like $7 so not to expensive.

And to all the folks who use Mobil 1 synthetic you are just plain nuts. I had malfunctions, and other issues from that product. Stick to stuff that works. M-Pro, and Hoppe's (although not as good.) My happy rant for the month.

Tell the Marine Bullseye armorers all about that!

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I like CLP for my rifles and handguns. I've heard the Mpro7 is good too.
    My FN SCAR owners manual says to use CLP for a lube and cleaner, so that's been good enough for me.
    At the Knob Creek shoot, I bought a 16oz mil-surplus spray bottle of CLP for $8. :cool:
    Works great in my glocks too.

I've used CLP over the last 20 years. It's good stuff but it can be messy.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Most of the folks I've noticed that use Mobil 1 that have had issues used the feather thin stuff (20 weight). I buy a quart of 15W40 Rotella (per an ARFCOM review) that I mix in 1:10 ATF and mix hard for "oil". I mix regular moly grease with Tetra for a "grease". Barrels I clean with Hoppes for really gunked up ones, but mostly mineral spirits/oil mix (or RemOil as you call it, lol, poor lube and protectant for hard conditions, heck of a carbon buster).

Folks will find that ALOT of their "gun oils" are not much more than industrial lubes with fancy labels and containers. I spend as much as a bottle of the dedicated stuff, but get 10-15x more.

I will say: for an off the shelf item, Tetra is amazing and can't find an industrial equivalent.

MPro7 is Hoppes Elite for intents and purposes. I've poured them side by side, sight, smell, slickness, and resistance to rust on raw steel in my informal test, pretty much the same.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've always used Rig grease on my sig rails, and some TW25b with a drop of lucas gun oil on the other moving parts. No problems with corrosion or wear (yet).

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Not sure if the Amazon seller still has it on sale, but they had the m-pro super cheap a couple weeks ago. A friend bought some and told me it worked quite well on his collection.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have used CLP, hoppes, lubriplate, Rem oil, Tetra products (oil and grease) and even gear oil on my front stuffers. Right now I am using Frog lube, and so far it has impressed me in just about every application I have tried it. The one place I have found it REALLY shines is on the internals of a revolver. Nothing in there is under any extreme load, nothing moving at high speed, and applied properly, nothing to attract dirt, so it should stay cleaner longer. I have it on one 1911 and my Hi-Power currently, and while its not anything that I am going to jump up and down about, it seems to be working at least as well as the Tetra grease has for me, and until Frog Lube, that is about as good as I have found.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot enough over the years that National Bullet Company offered me a distributorship and I have had to replace the barrels on several rifles multiple times. I have tried dozens of different lubes, from both the dinosaur side of the equation to the latest and greatest synthetics.

My opinion is, and has been from a long time, that there are 100's of really effective products out there that are at least 10 times as good as you will ever need. Whichever one you like is not nearly as important and keeping your equipment reasonably clean and using your favorite flavor of lube on a regular basis.

We went through the same thing with a motorcycle community. Multiple people put over 250,000 miles on Kawaski Concours models using nothing but synthetics, multiple people put that same mileage on using nothing but motorcycle rated dino oils. Still others equaled the results with plain auto/light truck rated oils. The conclussion of thousands of riders over 25 years was that oil is good, get some and use it and your bike will not have any trouble.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    ...."And to all the folks who use Mobil 1 synthetic you are just plain nuts." I don't really have a preference. I have used RIG, CLP, and Remoil but I tend to avoid using something recommended by somebody who feels the need to insult those use something else.

OTOH "oil is good" comes under the category of irrefutable advice.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I'll add this. I purchased a small tub of super duper grease lube from one of the marksman well known in the shooting world. Shortly after I found the Lucas Red N Tacky grease, frankly I can find nor see the slightest bit of difference between the two, of course I have no idea how the grease in the small tub will work on an auto application.

Top Bottom