• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I worked in retail (restaurants & general merchandise) for 26 years. As a servant to the public (in any service position), you quickly realize that some people just WILL NOT be pleased, no matter how hard you try (unless you give them something for FREE). And many people are so miserable in their own meager existence, that they are not happy until they make everyone around them just as miserable as they are. Not bashing anyone at all! Just stating the FACTS.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My biggest restaurant beef is getting the bill. They take away you plate, they know you're done and they disappear for 5, 10, or sometimes 15 minutes. You don;t see them serving other customers, they're just gone. When I'm done, I want to leave ASAP. Second biggest beef is being seated and having to wait 5, 10 minutes or more to be greeted by the waitress. Last time was in a busy place in Nebraska. After being ignored for 10 minutes I say to wife: let's bail. She says no and tracks down a waitress who says she will be with us in a minute. Ten minutes later, nothing. I convinced wife we need to walk. Went to another place down the street and had great service.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    My biggest restaurant beef is getting the bill. They take away you plate, they know you're done and they disappear for 5, 10, or sometimes 15 minutes. You don;t see them serving other customers, they're just gone. When I'm done, I want to leave ASAP. Second biggest beef is being seated and having to wait 5, 10 minutes or more to be greeted by the waitress. Last time was in a busy place in Nebraska. After being ignored for 10 minutes I say to wife: let's bail. She says no and tracks down a waitress who says she will be with us in a minute. Ten minutes later, nothing. I convinced wife we need to walk. Went to another place down the street and had great service.

Sounds like you should join the OP for dinner. After all, servers don't have 3-5 other tables they're taking care of. Ever think they may be in the kitchen preparing something, getting drinks from the bar, or something other than smoking at the back door if they aren't in your immediate presence?

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    Yeah, it appears to be a copy/paste from the link provided at the bottom.

Though I don't agree with some of that rant and the tone reminds me of a Clark Griswold rant on the way to Wally World, there are some nuggets of good advice in there.

I DID copy paste this from MY flickr account- I can assure all the readers these are my words! -Yes, I worked in the service industry (as a cook and a bouncer) and YES I stand behind every word as I have dealt with all of the mentioned situations in the past! I LOVE GOOD restaurants! I appreciate GOOD waitresses! BUT, I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade just because some in the audience got their panties ruffled!!!:p

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I DID copy paste this from MY flickr account- I can assure all the readers these are my words! -Yes, I worked in the service industry (as a cook and a bouncer) and YES I stand behind every word as I have dealt with all of the mentioned situations in the past! I LOVE GOOD restaurants! I appreciate GOOD waitresses! BUT, I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade just because some in the audience got their panties ruffled!!!:p

I got over myself a long time ago. Try it, it's enlightening.

Oh well. . . .

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If these aren't my words THEN WHO WROTE THEM??? I will find your answer VERY amusing!!!

Touchy little fellow, aren't you?

Read the post again. The question I responded to is "isn't cutting and pasting someone else's content a violation of INGO rules?" and was not "Is this content original or someone else's content?"

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sounds like you should join the OP for dinner. After all, servers don't have 3-5 other tables they're taking care of. Ever think they may be in the kitchen preparing something, getting drinks from the bar, or something other than smoking at the back door if they aren't in your immediate presence?

I've waited 30 mins or more several times before...shucks, one time, we waited so long on a waitress in a completely unbusy Chili's, that the manager actually served me and my mom. Nobody wanted to service us, they rather stand around and BS the gravy train...

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Treat your server how you would like to be treated, it works great. And I have stopped and told the manager when I thought I had really good service.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I apologize. People were trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you might not be the idiot who wrote the rant. You sure showed them.

Swing and a hit! Triple play, bases loaded! It's out of the park!

OP, ask your doctor if taking blood thinners could help prevent you from stroking out or having a coronary.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I've waited 30 mins or more several times before...shucks, one time, we waited so long on a waitress in a completely unbusy Chili's, that the manager actually served me and my mom. Nobody wanted to service us, they rather stand around and BS the gravy train...

I'm not saying anyone should have to wait significant periods of time to be greeted, receive your check, etc, but have a bit of patience as they try to serve others as well. You aren't the only people the server is trying to make happy.

If you're being served by a manager while servers stand around, sounds like they need a new manager.

Top Bottom