• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    So the wife got me a compound bow for Christmas bless her heart. I figure it is about time to get it out and play. I have tried several different releases and for the life of me can't get a full draw. Without the release I can get a full draw but the string twists making it nigh impossible to use the peep.... HALP ME

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    So the wife got me a compound bow for Christmas bless her heart. I figure it is about time to get it out and play. I have tried several different releases and for the life of me can't get a full draw. Without the release I can get a full draw but the string twists making it nigh impossible to use the peep.... HALP ME

Lose the peep, that's what I did.:yesway: Try one of these.

Timberline Archery Products

I haven't used a peep sight in years.

After searching around it appears Timberline Archery has gone out of business.:noway: I read somewhere the Cabela's still has some though.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    was it fitted to your draw length?......if you can't fit it your self take it back to where it was bought.....it must be comfortable or you'll do nothing but fight it....

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Generally, if you go to a release, it will shorten your draw length habout 1 inch. It could be that you arent making it to full draw with your release. When you draw the bow with the release and get to your "anchor point", you should be able to over extend your draw slightly and feel the draw stop.
    Also, try a Hunters peep with a large hole that goes in the string. Unless you are an excellent archer that spends a lot of time shooting from various positions, I would keep a peep for hunting. Good luck

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    If the bow is new go ahead and shoot it 50 times or so just to let the string settle in.
    Then take it to a bow shop and have them get the BH and ATA and cam timing back in spec if needed. A twist or 2 in the string should bring the peep around.
    While you are there have them measure your draw length and adjust if necessary.
    If poundage is to high you can back that down yourself and build back up with repetitive shooting.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Agreed...I got a new Bear bow for christmas and initially struggled with setup. The shorter ATA length compared to my old bow mad my peep land almost to the top of the string. I shot it for a few days and took it to Outdoorsman for proper setup.

Even then, my peep wasn't turning all the way to my eye upon draw. I finally got it trained to turn all the way.

Best bet is to have it setup by a good shop.

If the bow is new go ahead and shoot it 50 times or so just to let the string settle in.
    Then take it to a bow shop and have them get the BH and ATA and cam timing back in spec if needed. A twist or 2 in the string should bring the peep around.
    While you are there have them measure your draw length and adjust if necessary.
    If poundage is to high you can back that down yourself and build back up with repetitive shooting.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Your draw weight is more than likely too heavy. You have more strength when you draw with your fingers than you do when you draw with a release. Don't get caught up in the whole macho draw weight crap. Ted Nugent shoots deer and hogs left and right with a bow set at 48 pounds! I got into archery 20 years ago shooting 70 pounds, and today I shoot 53 pounds. I've taken 9 deer in the last 3 seasons with that set-up. If I could get 300 FPS out of a 40-pound bow, I'd drop down to that. One last thing, if you can't draw a bow while sitting in a chair with your feet off the floor, then your draw weight is too heavy.

A release does not change your draw length -- it merely changes your anchor point. To measure your correct draw length, have someone measure your "wingspan" (tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger with arms outstretched) then divide by 2.5. For example, my wingspan is 70". Dividing that by 2.5 yields a 28" draw. I'd venture to guess that many archers out there are shooting incorrect draw lengths, probably most shooting too long a draw. Most think, "Well, my buddy shoots a 29" draw, and I'm the same size as him, so I must be a 29" draw too." It's better to shoot a draw length 1" shorter than your correct draw length than one 1/2" too long.

Top Bottom