My neighbors are idiots; this ain't Mayberry.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Must be Mayberry here! We've used the honor system for years. Pretty common to have leftover candy at the end. Still had bags of M&Ms, boxes of Junior Mints, bars of Hershey's milk chocolate left. All the Reese's PB cups were gone, though.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Well my kids had a great time in our neighborhood. This was really our first full go trick or treat night. We walked about a mile in total. We're outside enough and live at the front of the main entrance, so a lot of people recognized our boys. Even had 2-3 houses offering full size bars (!); only my children are still too young to go after the Reese's. Given the choice they got skittles/starburst.

There were a few hooligans riding around on a quad and dirtbike. That didn't bother me until I realized they were going around to all the unattended bowls and ransacking them. However we saw a police officer shortly after that, so I'm assuming he got them.

All in all, a great night. Even got to institute the dad tax after bedtime ;)

xNFaEx0.jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The kid dressed like The Joker in my neighborhood last evening?? Should’ve gotten all full sized candy bars. Purple suit, green hair, and makeup.

Other than that, a lot of zombies. Oh, a family dressed like the Bobs Burgers cast.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Being at the end of a housing development, we normally haven't had many trick or treaters over the years. This year we got a bunch. All were polite and seemed to be having a good time. COVID had sucked a lot of happiness from kids and adults. I was glad to see a record number of kids/ teens out having good clean fun! My relatives have little ones and accompany them going door to door, so they left a bowl of candy out while they went around with their kids. I don't think they cared if someone took all of the candy. This year my relatives dressed up on the request of their little ones. They looked hilarious! It made my night! Best Halloween ever!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Seen like door to door candy collection has died out by me. We had maybe a dozen little kids with parents. There are 175 homes in my neighborhood with children. Lots of churches hosted holiday parties and some organizations sponsor "trunk or treat" events in parking lots. I know it bucks suburban tradition, but it is probably a better deal all the way around. More social peer interaction, additional games, less time or reason to make trouble at peoples property, kind of a win win.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    0 trick or treaters...same since we moved here. Down a private road with too few houses and the houses too far apart for the kids to bother.

We enjoyed trick or treating when we lived in a subdivision. My wife took the kids out, I stayed home and handed out the candy while I listened to old time radio Halloween programs. My favorites being "War of the Worlds" and "Three Skeleton Key". One year, a 70 degree Halloween that fell on a Friday, we had 80+ trick or treaters and it seemed like everyone in the neighborhood was out and about. It was great. So we prepared for about 100 kids to be safe from then on until we moved, and usually got in the 30s. Word to the wise- only buy candy you will eat.

Anyhoo....yes, it would be nice if young people thought of others and had a sense of fairness....but how many adults do that?

We have ultra low expectations these days, best exemplified by the "at least they aren't out__________" mentality. With low expectations, its no surprise that people live down to them. Is it the end of the world? No...well, not yet.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We had candy and the driveway lights were on but no takers so we have the dish full.

We live far enough out in the sticks that normally just relatives children come anyway. Not cool to drive where the houses are to far to walk between.

Population density matters. So I don’t mind being without trick or treaters

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    We had a very nice Halloween. Went from 5:30 to 7:30. By about 7:15 it was pretty much done. Our next door neighbor likes to keep count. She said it was about 120 kids. The kids were appreciative and very polite, saying thank you.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Had about 80 or so of the little monsters.
    Had about the same amount scared to walk up the driveway.

I go all out wife was dressed as the scary nun and me as a scary werewolf.

Decorations are well let's say really scary.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Only Halloween occurrence of note around here was a string of gunshots over on Meridian around 11pm. Must have missed the guy.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Back in the 1970s my bat sh!t crazy older sister gave out raw eggs to kids. She was probably 17yrs old at the time and thought she was being funny.

I haven't spoken with her for years.

It's been a while, but I have slip a colored raw egg in with the Easter eggs at my sisters place once in a while.

Top Bottom