My mosin 91/30 shooting 12" groups at 100yards...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've had this mosin for a while now and finally got it to the range and had horrible accuracy. I tried with/without scope with the same results. I've never done much research into the mosin nagants but are there any tips or tricks to help it any? Ill be posting pictures up tomorrow night to give idea of what I'm working with. Bore is dark but rifling seems good. I have some money invested into it so if hate to have to buy another and swap everything over.

Here is a broad picture of it but ill get more detailed ones tomorrow.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I should also mention I was useing a mix of surplus ammo and crappy tulammo I believe. Ill have to double check. It's also a 1939 soviet rifle.
    image.jpg

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Sounds about right. They were made to hit the chest at a distance, they typically pulled the MOA accurate rifles and scoped them.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Not to try to disparage on your skill or anything, but make sure you're holding it close to your body and not flinching. On my good days I can hold a stock 31/30 to a decent group (4" group) at 100 yards. But I had one day where mine bit my lead hand (forward grip) and I was shooting about 3 inches left at 50 yards for the rest of the day because of flinching.

I'm sure others have better results, but I don't get out very often.

DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    When it comes to mosins it can be hit and miss if you get a good one. Pull the bolt out and check to see how crisp the rifling is that plays a big factor. If it wasn't cleaned very well after the guy before you shot it the corrosive ammo can damage the barrel and affect accuracy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe I just had higher hopes. I may have to save a grab a remington 700 for my long distance shooting.
    Not sure how the fit is on your aftermarket stock, but you could always try "corking" the barrel to see if it helps.

Educational Zone #63 - Corking a Mosin Rifle to Improve Accuracy - Page 1

I know that a lot of people like the aftermarket stocks, but by using the shorter stock, you've taken away a lot of support from that very long barrel, which (I think) would probably affect the barrel harmonics, which would affect accuracy. If you're on the south side any time soon, I've got a buttload of cork and can give you a piece to try.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    My last outing with my 1938 Mosin, I had 15 hits in a 6.5 inch square at 100 yards, with iron sights. Can't wait to get my 'new' 1937 Mosin out for a run!

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not sure how the fit is on your aftermarket stock, but you could always try "corking" the barrel to see if it helps.

Educational Zone #63 - Corking a Mosin Rifle to Improve Accuracy - Page 1

I know that a lot of people like the aftermarket stocks, but by using the shorter stock, you've taken away a lot of support from that very long barrel, which (I think) would probably affect the barrel harmonics, which would affect accuracy. If you're on the south side any time soon, I've got a buttload of cork and can give you a piece to try.

I live in southport/greenwood kinda right on the line haha

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to take the gun apart this afternoon and see how much gap is between the barrel and stock. I've never heard of the corking method before.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I would obtain and try some completely different ammo before making conclusions that it is the rifle.

Put it back in the original stock and see if a real metal crossbolt and a proper fit helps. If it does, you may have to glass bed the stock in order to use it.

Les

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Another update, disassembled the gun again and I'm not sure why I didn't realize this sooner but the bolt doesn't match the barrel serial number so that could also have an effect. The gun is also a 1939R and appears to have been counterbored a long time ago and has some pitting inside the end of the counterbore.

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would obtain and try some completely different ammo before making conclusions that it is the rifle.

Put it back in the original stock and see if a real metal crossbolt and a proper fit helps. If it does, you may have to glass bed the stock in order to use it.

Les

I bought the rifle with the ati Monte Carlo stock unfortunately

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The Mosin is not a long range rifle (let the flaming begin)

I would say a lot of your scoped shooting issues are your rings. There is no way you can get a cheek weld with those high rings. I know a lot of folks want to be able to use a scope with see thru rings so they can still use the Irons, but you really need to either mount and use the scope right, or use the Irons right. Trying to use both 1/2 way effects accuracy.

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis

I would say a lot of your scoped shooting issues are your rings. There is no way you can get a cheek weld with those high rings. I know a lot of folks want to be able to use a scope with see thru rings so they can still use the Irons, but you really need to either mount and use the scope right, or use the Irons right. Trying to use both 1/2 way effects accuracy.

Yeah it came like that, I removed the scope and mount when I used iron sights. The scope rail blocks the front sight so it is pointless either way haha

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

This was my first thought when I saw the pic (need to get that scope down.) Proper and repeatable fit will may a big difference. Second would be the stock touching the barrel, I'd sand out the barrel channel to free float and try that. If that doesn't help, then bed it. If that doesn't help either, then it could be a scope issue. Once those are exhausted, you've done pretty much everything you could, and it is what it is. Good luck.

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    At one time I had 13 Mosins 1 m44, 3 m38s, 9 , 91/30s, of the bunch 1 91/ 30 shot 2 inch groups the other 12 ugh!, I couldn't even get the carbines to hardly hit the target at 100 yards. If you want a good shooting Mosin get a Finn m39 or other models. The Finns greatly improved on the design. Good luck with your project.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    How tight are you screwing the reciever down into the stock?? this will affect accuracy to no end. also free float the barrel will help too. but being counter bored i would not expect 1" grouping at 100 yards myself

Top Bottom