• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I use this bag as a combination of several types of kits from a blowout kit to a group medic bag and general tummy ache and boo-boo kit. This is a 2nd line kit, more on that later.

Pouch One
    5- pair latex gloves
    1- 9-LED flashlight
    1- Knife
    1- multi-tool (leatherman)
    1- ziploc bag with 10 pieces of non sterile gauze
    1- 3"x75" conform stretch bandage, sterile
    1- 4"x24" gauze roll, sterile
    3- single use triple anti-biotic ointment sleeves
    1- roll transpore 1" wide
    20- alcohol preps
    10- bandaids
    pouch1.jpg

Pouch Two
    2- 7.5"x8" Trauma dressings
    1- Tactical Tourniquet
    5- 1/8"x3" Steri-Strip
    5- 1/2"x4" Steri-Strip
    2- 1"x5" Steri-Strip
    10- Tegaderm 2 3/8"x2 3/4"
    4- safety pins
    2- Mastisol (adhesive, makes skin sticky)
    2- packets of tums
    1- roll electrical tape
    1- ink pen
    pouch2.jpg

Pouch 2 and a half
    non-zippered sash between pouches 2 and 3, look for the purple handled trauma sheers in the pics
    1- pair latex gloves (for quick access)
    1- Trauma Sheers
    1- Stethoscope (smaller inexpensive one)

Pouch Three
    1- 11 3/4" square Trauma dressing
    1- 5"x9" Abd(ominal) Pad sterile
    3- 2 per package 4x4 sponges sterile
    2- 2"x3" Non Adherent pads sterile
    1- 2"x3" Eye drain sterile
    2- 5"x9" Xeroform sterile (petroleum dressing)
    5- Tegaderm 4"x4 3/4"
    1- 4"x45" Conform sterile gauze
    1- 3"x75" Conform sterile gauze
    1- 3"x60" Coban sterile
    1- Triangular bandage
    1- 6" ACE bandage
    1- .75oz povidine iodine 10% pouch
    2- dermabond (skin superglue)
    3- nox-a-sting
    1- 10ml syringe w/18ga needle
    1- 18ga IV catheter
    1- 14ga IV catheter
    1- #10 disposable safety scalpel and handle
    2- Vicryl sutures
    2- small hemostats
    1- small needle driver
    1- small scissor
    1- 2" roll transpore
    1- small tube petrolatum jelly
    Asst zip ties
    1- ziploc containing:
    10- 25mg benadryl
    10- 200mg advil
    10- 500mg tylenol
    10- 2mg lopermide (anti-diarrhea)
    4- halls cough drops
    5- adhesive strip thermometers
    pouch3.jpg

I need to put a few more items in,
    chapstick / blistex
    small bottle hand lotion
    nasal pharyngeal airway
    Celox

Speaking in terms of gear, this is what I consider my second line kit. First line would be a ITK/blowout and third line is a web pack (8 gallon capacity) I have in which this bag would sit in the main compartment on top. In the next couple weeks I'll try and put together a listing of what is in it. For example I'd keep my bigger littman stethoscope in it, extra dressings, fluids/irrigants ect. ect.

One thing I like about this bag is being able to have it cross slung over your shoulder (in front or to the side) and being able to access everything without taking it off.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    you might want to add a couple fem napkins they work great for pressure bandages, the large supers are best

Thats what the ABD pads and trauma dressings are for ;)

It's actually best to pack with gauze then put the pads (or just more gauze) over them and wrap with coban, ezban or an ACE bandage.

I'm going to be replacing the large trauma dressing in this bag with an Israeli bandage when I get them, they have the pad already attached to the wrap and the pressure bar. Much quicker.

This is a second line kit and a combo blow out and boo-boo bag. Thats one of the reasons why it looks like a morph of the two. It is.

My first line kit (no pics right now) is geared 100% for traumatic injuries only, off the top of my head it contains, CAT tourniquet, 1 roll each of Kerlix and conform gauze, an ezband (like an ace), 14ga catheter, 7x8 trauma dressing (again to be replaced by Israeli when I get it), 1 abd pad, 1 roll durapore tape, trauma sheers, 2 pairs of gloves, one small clip light ( size of a quarter) and because they are so small a few each of: alcohol pads, tegaderms, steristrips. It all fits in a blackwater medical pouch about 7"x5"x3" closed.

My third line kit is web pack (8 galllon capacity) with duplicates all of the above in a major way plus items to manage airway, some fluids ect. ect.

Oh a word on maxipads... you can buy a box of Abdominal pads (which are identical to trauma pads) 15-20 to a box for around 3 bucks plus shipping from some of the med supply stores online and on amazon as well. I'd rather spend the same price as a box of maxi's and get sterile abd pads personally. You are correct, in an emergency use what you have and maxi's work well.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    you will be pleased with the IBD. are you sure you need the celox? the rest of the kit looks good to go. the 28fr robertazzi will do you for the NPA. i keep a set of OPA in my bag. a bit easier to use on kids (for me). generally, i carry my kit in an orange emt bag. that way, if i respond to a scene, introductions aren't generally needed.
    are you a medic?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    you will be pleased with the IBD. are you sure you need the celox? the rest of the kit looks good to go. the 28fr robertazzi will do you for the NPA. i keep a set of OPA in my bag. a bit easier to use on kids (for me). generally, i carry my kit in an orange emt bag. that way, if i respond to a scene, introductions aren't generally needed.
    are you a medic?

According to the State of Indiana I'm a EMT-B. However I work in the Operating Room at a hospital and my street equivalent would be solid as an EMT-I and in some areas approaching EMT-P.

Celox is a great just in case item, especially if on an extended hiking trip I'd like to have it available. I've got my old blue ems bag from back when I was volunteer FF/FR but honestly in the car I just carry some latex gloves and if I'm wearing cargo pants (most days) I have a face shield barrier w/ one way valve in a key chain holder in one of the pockets. I figure if I roll up on anything in my normal commutte EMS isn't more than 5-10 minutes away. Nothing that direct pressure with a gloved hand or cpr via the mask couldn't stave off till they arrive.

Going on trips I usually bring a kit because out in the middle of no where ems can be half an hour away at times.

Top Bottom