• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Based upon this falling to page three in the news today I strongly urge everyone here to let your representive know how you feel on this. Here is my letter:

The president made two executive orders today changing the following ATF polices:

• National Firearms Act (NFA) transfer process
    • Surplus re-importation polices
    I found both of his changes both disturbing and ill informed. The surplus rifles the president banned today are usually the following:

• Bolt action 1903 Springfield’s (5 round internal magazine limit)
    • Semi-automatic M1 Garand’s (8 round internal magazine limit)
    • M1 Carbines (usually in configurations of 15 or 30 round detachable magazines)
    Any other types of “surplus firearms” are forbidden to civilian sale because of their select-fire status (IE M16, belt fed machine guns, etc). The biggest distributor of theses single-fire only “surplus weapons” is the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) that is a non-profit organization that uses the proceeds of gun sales to fund youth oriented firearms training and safety programs. It is import to note that all weapons sold by the CMP go threw a background investigation check per all state/federal laws. To imply theses guns are “dump” on the street is both ill-informed at best and dishonest at worst. I personally have all three of the firearms referenced above that I have purchased from the CMP over the years. I feel very privileged to own theses firearms as I feel they are a part of history and represents good triumphing over evil during Nazi aggression during WW II. To me these weapons represent the freedoms we as American are afford to us under the constitution of the United States of America. By eliminating the importation of these firearms the president has cut CMP main source of youth firearms training and have denied future generations the enjoyment of owning such firearms.
    Furthermore the changes of the NFA transfers are misguided. The reason why people establish “Trust” are as follows:

• Reduce wait times associated with Class II & III transfer times by eliminating the requirement for local LEO sign off
    • Allow transfer to siblings for Class II & III upon owners death
    I challenge the notion that Class II & III items are activity used by criminals in the first place and this change is highly unnecessary. In the presidents announcement he implied the following:

Closing this loophole will make a difference—last year alone, there were more than 39,000 requests for transfers of these restricted firearms to trusts or corporations. (Cut and paste from his white house notifications on the subject)
    The presidents assumption is that that all NFA transfer are to criminals and the end result is an increase in gun violence. By making such a change as “reducing gun violence” completely ignores this simple fact: Most gun crimes are committed with a hand-gun in this country and not Class II & III NFA items. I understand the president wants to appear “tough” on gun laws, but I feel he has exceeded his authority and appears completely ignorant on gun ownership. I urge you to take a stance against the president on his rulings and support the second amendment.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Good letter. :yesway:

We all need to contact our representatives and Senator Coats. Don't bother contacting Donnelly, he is a left-wing scumbag who does not reply or who replies with form letters that are insulting. At least that has been my experience. My rep, Todd Rokita, for the most part, has been receptive and conservative.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Right on GP! I feel that the general consensus among firearm enthusiasts is that these Executive Orders don't affect them and so they do not care. I wish it weren't so. I'll be drafting up a letter to send to my reps this evening.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Good letter, but guess what, it wont matter. BO is not doing this to stop crime. This is nothing more than payback and politics. He looks good for doing something without congress to his base, all the headlines say "executive orders on gun control." Its not gun control, its screwing over a tiny percentage of conservatives, he gets to take a free punch at his enemies while looking great to his anti-gun base. Its not about whats in the order, its how it looks to public.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Good letter, but guess what, it wont matter. BO is not doing this to stop crime. This is nothing more than payback and politics. He looks good for doing something without congress to his base, all the headlines say "executive orders on gun control." Its not gun control, its screwing over a tiny percentage of conservatives, he gets to take a free punch at his enemies while looking great to his anti-gun base. Its not about whats in the order, its how it looks to public.

I agree with you 100%, but is notifing the people that DO care (senators, representatives) that we can keep BHO in check. Think early this year with key democratic senators didn't go his way on his master sweeping gun bill.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

We all need to contact our representatives and Senator Coats. Don't bother contacting Donnelly, he is a left-wing scumbag who does not reply or who replies with form letters that are insulting. At least that has been my experience. My rep, Todd Rokita, for the most part, has been receptive and conservative.

It is actually very important that we remind Donnelly of our position. He is moderate compared to some, and while he may not take action to reverse misguided policies, he will be less likely to support them if he thinks it will damage reelection chances.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

Rokita usually replies within 48 hours, I give him kudos for that.

Top Bottom