• ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Let’s talk of IFAKs…

Combat Medicine Axiom #1 “Sometimes, the best medicine is fire superiority.”
    Combat Medicine Axiom #2 “Good medicine at the wrong time is bad medicine.”

We need to start by talking of the Definition of the acronym, IFAK. Individual First Aid Kit. Not Team First Aid Kit, not Squad First Aid Kit. It is for your use as your personal first aid kit and lifeline, for Self-Aid and Buddy-Aid, and should be loaded and packaged as such to address the leading causes of preventable death due to penetrating injuries.

The IFAK is useful because of who has it not by what is in it. To employ an IFAK, still requires Medical Knowledge, Basic Skills, and the ability to decide when it is needed. The IFAK is for YOUR Personal use, not your Buddies, not the dude you just shot Your IFAK is just that, yours. It is filled with the Minimum needed medical supplies to keep your worthless butt alive. It is not a MASH in a Tacticool Pouch hung on you. You are not Inspector Gadget, so forget about some of the super cool stuff you could have in it. Your IFAK is not a Treatment Kit, it is not an EMT/ Paramedical bag, and it is not the Batman Utility belt of Medical goodness. It is for you to use on yourself to save your own worthless life. It is for your Buddies to use on you. You do NOT use your IFAK on your Buddies, always use their stuff on them…

Train with it! Period!
    If you do not train with your IFAK and your Gear, then you might as well call your Spouse, Parents, Children, Neighbors, other assorted Friends and Family and all the Family and Friends of your Buddies as well and tell them that you are that douche bag and apologize for being a dummy. However, tell them that you have seen the error of your ways, and will learn and train with your kit.

Loading the IFAK.
    Try and stay away from the Pack-Rat mentality when loading out your IFAK, you know the guy I am talking about, The Dude that if one is good thing 6 is better you know the guy that has 6 NPAs (Nasal Pharyngeal Airways) and 4 Catheters for Needle Decompressions. Also equally dangerous is the Boy Scout, you know this guy well too. He is the guy who will stuff burn cream, Ibuprofen, decongestants, moleskin, BP Cuff. Forgetting the purpose of the IFAK is to mitigate immediate life threatening Trauma.

I recommend Lighter and Smaller. Reduce your Options to what you need to save your life. By doing this you will end up having 2 or more Medical Kits, my IFAK and my Jump Bag which is kept in my truck is used to take care of others. Everything else is gravy after that. If you don’t KNOW how to use something by rote instinct, then leave it out of your IFAK until such time as you have trained up on the uses of it to the point it is instinctual to use and little to no thought is required to employ it.

Items in my IFAK.
    2 Izzy Dressings
    4 Rolls of Compressed Gauze
    1 roll of Surgical Tape
    1 NPA
    1 Chest Seal
    1 Combat Gauze
    1 Pair of Trauma Shears

Items always on my Person/Vest/Carrier
    Tourniquet, 1 on person, 2 more on my vest/carrier
    Sharpie, 1 on person, 1 on vest/carrier
    Trauma Shears, 1 on person, 1 on vest/carrier

Items not in my IFAK
    Tourniquets,
    Surgical Gloves
    Band-Aids
    Burn Cream
    Triple Antibiotic ointments
    To close this rant.
    Put your damn IFAK someplace you can get to it and deploy it with BOTH hands!

Jeremy…

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine:

(1) 6 in. IBD
    (1) nasopharyngeal airway, size 30 FR
    (1) needle cathether (I think it's #14 ga, 2.75 in)
    (2) pieces of tape wrapiing the two middle items to the IBD, but intended for multiple potential uses later

And I've recently started carrying a tourniquet I can apply to myself with one hand if needed. In the past, I intended to use my IBD or a bandana for that purpose, but it's a lot quicker, simpler, and easier to use a dedicated tourniquet with one available hand.

That's it. If I need an occlusive dressing, I can make one from a piece either the inner or outer IBD wrappers.

Might add some kerlix at some point, but I have other stuff on my person that I can use for tamponade in a pinch.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Good stuff. This sounds very similar to what I've heard James Yeager call a 'Ventilated Operator Kit".

2 questions:

1) Izzy dressing = Israeli bandage?
    2) what is an IBD?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    This is something I know I have a need to learn more. I'll be taking the first level CPR/AED training this Friday at Red Cross. I think the next level is some of the good tactical first aid offered by many on here.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This is something I know I have a need to learn more. I'll be taking the first level CPR/AED training this Friday at Red Cross. I think the next level is some of the good tactical first aid offered by many on here.
    When questions arise, ask! Someone here will have the Answers or at least be able to point you in the right direction...

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Let’s talk of IFAKs…

Combat Medicine Axiom #1 “Sometimes, the best medicine is fire superiority.”
    Combat Medicine Axiom #2 “Good medicine at the wrong time is bad medicine.”

We need to start by talking of the Definition of the acronym, IFAK. Individual First Aid Kit. Not Team First Aid Kit, not Squad First Aid Kit. It is for your use as your personal first aid kit and lifeline, for Self-Aid and Buddy-Aid, and should be loaded and packaged as such to address the leading causes of preventable death due to penetrating injuries.

The IFAK is useful because of who has it not by what is in it. To employ an IFAK, still requires Medical Knowledge, Basic Skills, and the ability to decide when it is needed. The IFAK is for YOUR Personal use, not your Buddies, not the dude you just shot Your IFAK is just that, yours. It is filled with the Minimum needed medical supplies to keep your worthless butt alive. It is not a MASH in a Tacticool Pouch hung on you. You are not Inspector Gadget, so forget about some of the super cool stuff you could have in it. Your IFAK is not a Treatment Kit, it is not an EMT/ Paramedical bag, and it is not the Batman Utility belt of Medical goodness. It is for you to use on yourself to save your own worthless life. It is for your Buddies to use on you. You do NOT use your IFAK on your Buddies, always use their stuff on them…

Train with it! Period!
    If you do not train with your IFAK and your Gear, then you might as well call your Spouse, Parents, Children, Neighbors, other assorted Friends and Family and all the Family and Friends of your Buddies as well and tell them that you are that douche bag and apologize for being a dummy. However, tell them that you have seen the error of your ways, and will learn and train with your kit.

Loading the IFAK.
    Try and stay away from the Pack-Rat mentality when loading out your IFAK, you know the guy I am talking about, The Dude that if one is good thing 6 is better you know the guy that has 6 NPAs (Nasal Pharyngeal Airways) and 4 Catheters for Needle Decompressions. Also equally dangerous is the Boy Scout, you know this guy well too. He is the guy who will stuff burn cream, Ibuprofen, decongestants, moleskin, BP Cuff. Forgetting the purpose of the IFAK is to mitigate immediate life threatening Trauma.

I recommend Lighter and Smaller. Reduce your Options to what you need to save your life. By doing this you will end up having 2 or more Medical Kits, my IFAK and my Jump Bag which is kept in my truck is used to take care of others. Everything else is gravy after that. If you don’t KNOW how to use something by rote instinct, then leave it out of your IFAK until such time as you have trained up on the uses of it to the point it is instinctual to use and little to no thought is required to employ it.

Items in my IFAK.
    2 Izzy Dressings
    4 Rolls of Compressed Gauze
    1 roll of Surgical Tape
    1 NPA
    1 Chest Seal
    1 Combat Gauze
    1 Pair of Trauma Shears

Items always on my Person/Vest/Carrier
    Tourniquet, 1 on person, 2 more on my vest/carrier
    Sharpie, 1 on person, 1 on vest/carrier
    Trauma Shears, 1 on person, 1 on vest/carrier

Items not in my IFAK
    Tourniquets,
    Surgical Gloves
    Band-Aids
    Burn Cream
    Triple Antibiotic ointments
    To close this rant.
    Put your damn IFAK someplace you can get to it and deploy it with BOTH hands!

Jeremy…

Are you still in? Cause I know they have a couple different sets out and about. However, I left Germany and have been in a WTU, so I have not seen or been issued one for awhile. I know personal will always have the items you want, but just curious if you knew what was in the issued one. If not, no worries.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

There are plenty of people that can answer some of the questions on here. I would say if possible, the Army has a class called CLS Combat Life Saver. I know the manuals used to be online, and they should be a good start. Some of it is a bit more advanced, but always good to know.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Are you still in? Cause I know they have a couple different sets out and about. However, I left Germany and have been in a WTU, so I have not seen or been issued one for awhile. I know personal will always have the items you want, but just curious if you knew what was in the issued one. If not, no worries.
    Give me some time to dig through my hard drive I have the PDF from AMED...

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Give me some time to dig through my hard drive I have the PDF from AMED...

Too easy, take your time, I aint going anywhere for awhile. Thanks, wasn't sure they would have all the contents out, but now that you mention it like that, duh, its the Army, of course there is some reg to say what is what in there. Thanks :yesway:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good stuff. This sounds very similar to what I've heard James Yeager call a 'Ventilated Operator Kit".

2 questions:

1) Izzy dressing = Israeli bandage?
    2) what is an IBD?

As the others mentioned . . . yes.

IBD = Israeli Battle Dressing

Make sure you know how to use them and you practice occasionally. Watching the videos or a demo is cool, but you need to be able to do it under stress and maybe with just one hand. The most common mistake that people make when applying them is failing to reverse directions after pushing the bandage through the clips over the dressing. They'll still work if you don't, but they work a lot better if you do it right.

When you're applying it to a head, it can be kind of tricky if you don't know some of the tricks as well.

I suppose that goes for everything in a kit. I know how to use everything I carry for at least one purpose, usually more. There is some merit in carrying stuff that someone else might know how to use if it's not a burden, but I don't think there's a place for that in your personal kit that is intended primarily to use on yourself, whether it's you doing it or someone else.

Which also reminds us that your buddies need to know where you keep your kit and you should know where they keep theirs on their person.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As the others mentioned . . . yes.

IBD = Israeli Battle Dressing

Make sure you know how to use them and you practice occasionally. Watching the videos or a demo is cool, but you need to be able to do it under stress and maybe with just one hand. The most common mistake that people make when applying them is failing to reverse directions after pushing the bandage through the clips over the dressing. They'll still work if you don't, but they work a lot better if you do it right.

When you're applying it to a head, it can be kind of tricky if you don't know some of the tricks as well.

I suppose that goes for everything in a kit. I know how to use everything I carry for at least one purpose, usually more. There is some merit in carrying stuff that someone else might know how to use if it's not a burden, but I don't think there's a place for that in your personal kit that is intended primarily to use on yourself, whether it's you doing it or someone else.

Which also reminds us that your buddies need to know where you keep your kit and you should know where they keep theirs on their person.

This is a great point about training with your gear. I have seen it before done right, using the actual equipment for training aids, then getting replacements, and I have seen it done wrong, using the wrong gear, not even hands on practice, but watching a video, etc. Granted, if all you have is watching a video, its better then nothing, but its still best to work on the muscle memory. Even a couple times can start building it. Just like shooting, you should train the most with what you carry.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Yeah well one of the most important things to remember is if you dont know how to use such things as a catheter and a npa and the quickclot that everyone seems to love..either train or dont carry.

Top Bottom