• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Our GSD is 3 years old and loves to chase squirrels. All you have to say is "squirrel" and she wants out. After 3 years of chasing them she finally got one. The snow is so deep the tree rat could not run fast enough so our GSD got it, and got it good. I watched her run after it and I realized she was going to catch it and then I got scared. I knew the tree rat would either bite her or scratch her and I was right. She got on the nose on several places. She is all caught up on her vaccinations so I am confident she will be alright. I washed her nose off with some peroxide. She seems to be fine. I had just as much of her blood on me as she did, but I quickly washed it off. I was really surprised she actually out it in her mouth, and needless to say the tree rat is dead. Laying out there in the snow. Brad will have to dispose of it after he gets home so she will not be going back after it.

I guess I can say congratulations to her but I will not be saying the word "squirrel" to her anymore. I was not comfortable with what I saw, it could have been another animal that would have torn her up.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    my GSD's kill skunks, possums and moles on a regular basis. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Let the dog eat it as a reward for killing it, anything else is disrespectful of the predator/prey relationship.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We had a beagle when I was a kid, and that dog would kill something every day. He even killed a few nice sized snakes. Small coon tore him up pretty good once, but he still killed it. Our vet said as long as he was current in his shots, he would be fine.

Brown86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Same thing happened to me last year! My GSD was just a year old and got one. bit him right on the bridge of the nose and left huge bit marks...didn't bother him a bit..he was so proud of himself...i had to finally throw the dead squirrel on a fire to keep him from bringing it back into the yard..he healed all up and you can't even see where he got bit after a few weeks

Brown86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    IMG_20130618_162656_566.jpg

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    My mutt killed a rabbit a few weeks ago. It is now in my freezer.

I gave her the liver, heart and lungs.

I am a proud papa.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My Lucy (American Eskimo) loves to catch rabbits. The first time she did, I was traumatized. (OK, every time she did I was traumatized.) I don't know how many half-eaten rabbits I had to bury. Fortunately now I have a cedar fence, and the bunnies can't get into the yard.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    "Get the squirrel" is the only game oriented game my bird dog gets to play (Lab). Just make some noise to give the critters a head start before Thor the squirrel killer comes running out. While we have no large squirrels here, Grey or Fox, and I mean none, we have small ones and rabbits make a good substitute for squirrel as well. It also helps keep them on edge and away from the garden. I have noticed in the past week the midnight commando raids by the Squirrel-Rabbits to the bird feeder has come to an end. I think their feeding strategy was deciphered by the enemy in the woods.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    My GSD got 2 in one run the other day. snatched one mid stride to the tree and shook once. threw him in the air and was on the next one as he was at the base of the tree. he pulled him off and I yelled. he dropped him and turned around. the dumb squirrel got up and jumped on the tree. Mauser went all ghost in the darkness on him and snatched him from about 5 foot up in the tree. It was over after that lol. he got a nice bite on the nose but nothing to worry about.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    My GSD got 2 in one run the other day. snatched one mid stride to the tree and shook once. threw him in the air and was on the next one as he was at the base of the tree. he pulled him off and I yelled. he dropped him and turned around. the dumb squirrel got up and jumped on the tree. Mauser went all ghost in the darkness on him and snatched him from about 5 foot up in the tree. It was over after that lol. he got a nice bite on the nose but nothing to worry about.

Your dog's name is Mauser? Fantastic! Please give him a treat for making me smile.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    My dog HATES squirrels. She thinks she can climb the tree to get to the squirrel. If that doesn't work she then attempts to chew through the base of the tree like she's going to cut it down.

At one point you see my son who was 2 at the time say "up there" telling Elli where the squirrel went.
    [video=youtube;VsTHG7Glnzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsTHG7Glnzw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    My dog will jump on the tree trunk and circle around it and jump on it some more while whining or barking but she has never tried to latch with her teeth to a branch. She loves the chase. It is all about the chase to her.

Top Bottom