My first online gun buying experience...yuck.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I can probably name the dealer, and I won't. My opinion is: if they are not open all the time (IE a true brick and mortar and not someone who does it in their free time and by appointment only) I would not be using them. My schedule is sporadic enough, I don't want to work with someone else's work schedule while already trying to deal with two of my own.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had good success with an LGS (Tomlinsons, Churubusco) handling my FFL, until the most recent transfer from Taurus. I can't blame them for the problem though. Taurus sent them the replacement unit without my name attached, just to the business. I did not learn about it until almost two weeks later when I called Taurus to inquire about it. Once I knew it was delivered, I called Tomlinsons and I had it in my excited hands in less than an hour—just had to drive to the shop and complete the paper work. Tomlinsons is an excellent shop with which to do business.

A couple weeks later I purchased a pistol from Sportsman's Guide. They recommended another FFL who was much closer and charges less. I contacted him in advance of placing the order. He agreed to handle the transaction for me. I placed the order, and it was delivered to him in four days. I picked it up the next day. Smooth, hassle free transaction.

I will use the local guy's services again. Cheaper and closer. Just have to coordinate with him. If any in the Fort Wayne area want to use his services, let me know. He is on the north side of town, off Union Chapel Road. He gave me his contact number and asked me to recommend his services, but I am uncomfortable posting too much personal information online, even in a great, honest group like INGO.

It seems to me that an FFL should be in regular contact with a buyer. At the very least, a simple "Working on it." in reply to an email message, just to confirm the inquiry was received. Three days after the item is delivered to the FFL, I am putting pressure on the FFL.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I know of this dealer now. Fishers is the old location. Company also does training. I believe he also recently changed his location. Apparently he didnt remove the signage from the fishers location. (I'll Let this INGOer out himself or let someone else do it)

This isnt the first report of this "preferred dealer" making life painful for transfer customers. By my memory you are report #3. In all fairness there could be dozens of successfuly transfers with absolutely no hangups, but this does seem to fit a pattern.

Another vote for USDS. Worth the drive.

Woody968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2015
    Terre Haute
    That's the tough thing about looking a business up on the Internet. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is legit. Hope it gets worked out soon.

It never takes my dealer nearly that long to run the checks. Is that because he is doing it online instead of over the phone?

sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    Coincidentally, he just texted me. He just told me I was delayed and he won't be back in town until next Tuesday. .. ouch. At least he contacted me lol

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would suggest doing business with a full time brick and mortar store with set business hours and a owner that keeps those set business hours. Has a lot more time to be engaged in the business than a part time guy that's unreliable. They usually charge a little more to offset that overhead. Not every money saving situation is convenient. When I am spending over a grand for a special order item, I figure an extra $10 or $15 is a small price to pay. Deal with fulltime business's and alot of problems tend to disappear.

Here I FIFY
    And I would call Buds or who ever you bought your firearm from and let them know he's not a full time FFL.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Yep. Ingo to the rescue again. I've heard nothing good at all about that person in the transfer department.

Living in noblesville also, I use marksman shooting sports for transfers. They are in Westfield (Carey Rd and 32). $20, great communication, close to home, and full time.

Online purchases are usually easy as pie...don't give up on buying online.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would try a new ffl. I never have any problems. Biggest problem I have is getting the person I buy online to ship quickly to the ffl maybe (and I can't complain about that too much either). Give it another go OP.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've also heard complaints about this particular dealer on here. My feeling is, if you can't devote full time to the job, then don't offer the service. I use my C&R license (FFL 03) for most of my purchases because I mainly buy old guns, but when I do buy one that requires a transfer, then I would definitely choose a gun shop that is in the business of selling guns and doing transfers full time, with regular business hours. I've used USDS with great success and also Indy Trading Post, which has also been great.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've used USDS with great success and also Indy Trading Post, which has also been great.
    I hesitate to say this without double checking, but I *think* ITP will do $15 transfers if you are an INGO member. I know USDS does $15 transfers for all, gone through them a time or two and I am six, seven minutes from their shop.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Yep. I know of this dealer now. Fishers is the old location. Company also does training. I believe he also recently changed his location. Apparently he didnt remove the signage from the fishers location. (I'll Let this INGOer out himself or let someone else do it)

This isnt the first report of this "preferred dealer" making life painful for transfer customers. By my memory you are report #3. In all fairness there could be dozens of successfuly transfers with absolutely no hangups, but this does seem to fit a pattern.

Another vote for USDS. Worth the drive.

Based on the clues, I'm guessing Indy Gun Safety. What do I win?

And if I'm wrong, please say so, and I will apologize.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Our FFL isn't a brick & mortar (we operate out of our home) but we have NEVER made someone wait for their gun like that. We have flexible enough schedules we've made it work pretty well so far and have done transfers the same day the gun came to us. We do the eNics if at all possible. The last time I called in a background, the call dropped while going to a 2nd tier check and we had to call back and give them the transaction number. Still didn't take THAT long.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I used KS&E for my last transfer. (couple of weeks ago) Only issue I ran into was the owner was in the hospital for a couple of days but they were open the third day. I could not be anything but sympathetic as I am sure that the last place the guy wanted to be was a hospital. They called mine in and we were done in less than 10 minutes. I prefer a brick and mortar FFL because there is normally going to be someone there to sign for the firearm when it arrives.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have been following this thread. Do you have to wait until Tuesday? My only online purchase did't go well. The GS sent it in a shoe box so the brick and mortar shop ignored it when it came in.:rolleyes:
    After a week tracked it down and McGalliard Guns, the place I sent it to, finally started looking for it.

Top Bottom