• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • recon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Lafayette
    So i have had my LTCH for almost a year now and have been CCing the whole time. I just always assumed there would be comments/weird looks. Finally gave it a try yesterday just going to the VP and what do you know, it happened. As soon as i walked in the door one of the customers goes< "Whoah! I thought you were gonna rob us for a minute!" which made the clerk super nervous. she stayed way behind the counter until i had to handed her my money. The customer asked me if i was a cop or had a license to carry and I told him I had a license. Didn't make them any less nervous though. A pretty awkward situation altogether.

Is this normal?

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Not normal at all, but it happens. I OC all the time and have never had anything like that happen to me.

Your calm reaction was good. Keep being nice, let them know you are just another guy and if they have enough positive experiences with folk who OC, they might just change their mindset.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    So i have had my LTCH for almost a year now and have been CCing the whole time. I just always assumed there would be comments/weird looks. Finally gave it a try yesterday just going to the VP and what do you know, it happened. As soon as i walked in the door one of the customers goes< "Whoah! I thought you were gonna rob us for a minute!" whi ch made the clerk super nervous. she stayed way behind the counter until i had to hande her my money. The customer asked me if i was a cop or had a license to caryy and I told him I had a license. Didnt make them any less nervous though. A pretty awkward situation altogether.

Is this normal?

No. I OC at least half the time and nobody has ever said a word to me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've never gotten that reaction. Actually, I rarely get ANY reaction.

How were you dressed? I've learned that wearing something "decent" (jeans and polos for me, usually) gets the "Are you a cop/security?" comment. Dressing "down" (shorts or old jeans, and t-shirts) gets the stares.

Don't let it get you down!

recon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've never gotten that reaction. Actually, I rarely get ANY reaction.

How were you dressed? I've learned that wearing something "decent" (jeans and polos for me, usually) gets the "Are you a cop/security?" comment. Dressing "down" (shorts or old jeans, and t-shirts) gets the stares.

Don't let it get you down!

Was just wearing jeans and a non baggy zip up hoodie lol

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    Oh people crack me up.

You shoulda been like " What there's a gun on me?! GET IT OFF GET IT OFF!!" Haha

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Some people are really out of touch with reality but it sounds like you handled that interaction in a calm manner which is excellent. I CC 90% of the time because I do not want anyone to know I'm carrying /Personal Preference, but nothing like that has happened to me yet.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I have only had one person ever say anything and that was " where did you get your holster, I've been looking for a good one." and one other time when a cashier was messing with a regular and asked " can i borrow that" to which i said " no sorry it stays there till its needed." It really does matter how you dress on the looks you get. When i am in dress clothes i get the undercover/ detective/ LEO look. When i am in work clothes i don't get anything really. Mostly its how you carry yourself. I just walk in and if i see people looking at it i just smile and carry on like there isn't anything wrong, because there isn't.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Outside of a few comments that I've seen as opportunities to educate people, it's never been a problem. As others have said, it comes down to how you present yourself. Most often, people either don't notice or care to make it an issue.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Is this normal?

No. Especially not in Lafayette... been open carrying around there for many years without issue.

Sounds like you just happened upon an uninformed person with a blurting problem. :):

Your lack of reaction (and acting more "normal" than they are) really does go a long way toward establishing the normalcy of armed citizens, so hang in there if and when you choose to. :yesway:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Some of us have worse reactions than that with local law enforcement... :whistle:

But seriously, a lot of it has to do with how you look unfortunately. A button up shirt and clean shaven face, maybe a trimmed gotee and nice jeans will have you covered 99% of the time. Also a nice looking gun and holster never hurt either.

1911>Glock for example. ;)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Some of us have worse reactions than that with local law enforcement... :whistle:

But seriously, a lot of it has to do with how you look unfortunately. A button up shirt and clean shaven face, maybe a trimmed gotee and nice jeans will have you covered 99% of the time. Also a nice looking gun and holster never hurt either.

1911>Glock for example. ;)

I just duct tape it on . Works well.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Since it was your first time OCing, you might have looked nervous yourself. The first few times I open carried, I went places where I was already a regular.

Top Bottom