• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I posted a while back asking about those of you that make your own knives. URLguy even offered to give me some pointers. I still intend to take him up up that one of these days.

Well, I finally decided to make one of my own and see if I enjoyed it, which I did. Here are some pictures of the finished project. This is technically the second one, but the first one did not make it trough heat treating. Must have had a stress riser or something that allowed it to split.

The blade is from a piece of "tool steel" given to me several years ago by my father-in law. He didn't know what it was, but knew it was "tool steel". The finger guard was "carved" from a piece of brass bar stock. The pins are brass brazing rod. The liners are from scrap trophy tags I found in a box of junk. The scales are from a piece of walnut I had left over from a fishing pole rack I made for my father. They have a nice tiger striping to them. I wish the camera would have picked it up better (probably my photo skills not an issue with the camera).

So far the mystery tool steel has proved to take a good hardening, and a good edge. It cuts pretty well and will shave your arm just fine. Not quite a razor, but sharp none the less. Probably could use a more refined edge, but it will do for now. I wish I had a way to test the hardness just to see what it is out of curiosity.

I know it is not anywhere near up to the standards of some of the fine craftsmen on here, but I hope you like it. Thanks for looking.

IMG_6464r.jpg

IMG_6467r.jpg

IMG_6470r.jpg

IMG_6474r.jpg

IMG_6478r.jpg

Sorry about the picture sizes, I tried a couple times but kept getting the same results.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    GREAT JOB!!!

How many hrs do you have in it?
    What are your materials?
    What are the specs?
    What were your influences? (styles)
    What would you sell a knife like that for?

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Thank you for the nice comments, I appreciate it.

Anyone know how to re-size images in photobucket? These are much larger images, I just can't seem to re-size them.

Cubby - Thank you - coming from someone of your skill that means a lot. And you are right, I wouldn't know how to put a price on a knife. Maybe if I made the same one over and over I could pin down the time and such. I just wouldn't know where to start right now though.

redneckmedic - Hours : Not sure, I worked on it at night when the wife and kids went to bed. I pretty much took my time and went slow on purpose. I wish I had kept track of that though. Materials: Well, the blade is an unknown. It was from a piece of "tool steel" that my father in law gave me. I would definitely not want to make more unless I knew for sure what the steel is. I did just get a small batch of O-1 steel drops from a local machine shop. I'll probably try them next. The guard is from a piece of brass bar stock I found at a scrap yard. I cut a chunk of it off and shaped it with a file and the dremel. Specs: Blade is 2-3/4" long X 3/4" wide and the knife is 6-3/8" overall. As for influences, well I had a piece of steel that was a limited size (in fact my first ever forging experience was heating and foming the handle bend) so I traced it and started sketching inside the lines. I threw away several early designs and just kept changing it till I liked it. Then, when I was actually shaping the blade, I made some more changes.

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    dude. email me your address. i'll send you some material, on the house. :)

i also have some files you can have... maybe some other things you'll like!

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    very nice , made a few myself from old files and though not the best there is a satisfaction when you make it yourself

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom